Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Nanny vs. daycare

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I've been a SAHM for 2 1/2 years while my husband was in the army. Now that he is out and we are back home, I got a really good job and now he is a SAHD. In a few months he is going to start college so we will need to get child care. My daughter turns one in 9 days and my son will be 3 in June. We are debating between getting a nanny or putting them in daycare. They are about the same price and both of our kids are great with other kids (we have frequent playdates now that we are around our friends and family). We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. This is what we have so far. Nanny Pros: no waking the kids up early to get them ready (both my kids like to sleep until around 9), if one or both of them is sick we still have child care, they get to stay in an environment that they are used to, and no worries of them getting sick constantly from other kids at daycare.Cons: no extra socialization, and I kind of want to have my 3 year old in an early preschool class. Keep in mind we are not talking about a live in nanny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MacensMommy228
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM
I have no idea, but I am considering the same for my 14 month old for when I start school!!! Heres a bump!
luvthagirl
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Go with the nanny and have the nanny to take your 3year old to preschool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetMama823
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
With a nanny you have to really know the person enough to trust them in your home and with your babies. I hear so many stories I honestly just don't feel safe. Unless you got hidden cameras everywhere.

Daycare is more people, kids, supervision, education,fun activites. It's different everyday. I would go with daycare for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Nanny. Hands down. I was a nanny for several different families over the years and the kids always told me how much happier they were to be home with me than at daycare. Individualized attention and care vs. one person supervising up to 10 or 15 children.

gumbeme06
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM

we went with day care. more interaction with other kids, and adults. plus we found an amazing day care here. it really depends on what you find and who you feel comfortable with watching your child. I interviewed 8 different day cares before I found the one I liked... and there was no in home child care or nannies around me that I felt were qualified enough

gumbeme06
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM

plus day cares are regulated. depending on how old the child is (at least around here) there is a 7-1 student/teacher ratio. if the nanny/in home care provider decides to take a vacation or is sick, you don't get screwed out of having to find someone else to watch your kid, and being exposed to other kids is going to help build their immune system for when they start kindergaten.

ABMommyto2
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I have had both and prefer daycare. If your nanny is sick, there is no back up. Daycares are more reliable, better socialization, children have defined schedules, better security (cameras in all rooms), the list of pros can be much longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stpreggers
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Nanny
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Does the school your DH will be attending have any type of daycare program?  My university had an early childhood education and students and faculty got free daycare through that. It closed down this year because of lead paint, but when it was open it took kids as long as they were fully potty trained.

I would go with a nanny, personally.  You can still have playdates and your 3yo can still do preschool.  You will get to know a nanny and you can set up a camera or 2 just to keep an eye on her if you are really worried.

I will be very picky if i ever have to put my kids in daycare. A close friend had a lot of issues with her sons daycare.  The provider lost her license and her boyfriend is in jail for 9 months.  They were slicing open the tops of the nipples on her sons bottles and the boyfriend who was only certified to work there for a few days was holding her child down by the face because he was crying. 

luvmybug
by Amanda on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM

i would go the nanny route. that is what i do for a job. i have 2 extras and my one dd. but i do it for my neighbor whom we share an indoor patio with so it's easy to go back and forth between the apartments. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN