Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Stranger danger?? **UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

So today my husband and I went to SAMs club with my 3 month old daughter. As we were checking out, a lady from the next line came over and touched my baby's face as I completed my transaction with the cashier. normally this wouldn't bother me if she would have just asked or made conversation. But she came out of nowhere and touched my baby. As she touched my babies face I was having a panic attack in my head....my DH says I was overreacting but..we never know what kind of germs people carry. Is it wrong that I feel this way?? Am I the only one that feels like this??

**UPDATE**

i forgot to mention that this was an older hispanic lady. so i told my parents about this and they said that its part of culture. they said it's somethingh called "mal de ojo". i looked it up on google and found this...

"Mal de ojo, sometimes called “evil eye,” is a folk illness which most commonly affects children.  It has been defined as a hex caused by a gaze from a more powerful or stronger person looking a weaker person (usually an infant or child but sometimes a woman).  It may be someone from outside the family looking at the child with envy, or a stare from a powerful person who is admiring the child.  It is usually caused inadvertently.

Those affected may suffer symptoms including headaches, high fever, diarrhea, not sleeping well, increased fussiness, and weeping.  It is not fully known what diseases in Western medicine correlate with mal de ojo, however, in severe cases the symptoms are similar to those of sepsis and should warrant a medical evaluation.  Cases of mal de ojo with frequent crying and no other symptoms are thought to be similar to colic.

It is thought that shielding the infant from powerful people's direct eye contact can prevent mal de ojo.  Having the powerful adult touch the child on the head is also thought to prevent mal de ojo, and a traditional treatment for mal de ojo is to find the person who placed the hex and have them touch the affected child.  If this is not possible, a healer (usually a relative or a curandera) may roll a egg over the sufferer's body.  The egg is then cracked, placed in a glass of water, and set under the bed of the sufferer.  Sometimes a straw cross is made on top of the glass.  Prayers are usually said during this ritual.  Mal de ojo is thought to persist if untreated and may progress to ojo pasado, characterized by severe coughing and vomiting, which may be fatal.

Mal de ojo is not unique to Hispanic cultures.  Other cultures have similar beliefs of an "evil eye," including some in the Mediterranean region and some Muslim cultures."

my parents said this is why she touched my daughter. i dont believe at all in this but its good to be informed. regardless of what they said i really wish she would have asked me to touch my daughter... thanks for your help ladies!!

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Replies (261-269):
Queen_Sheila
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I feel that someone should ask if it's ok, I've never had this issue come up. Yet.

lynhea
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM

They make carseat screens now. So no one can touch. I too would have a heart attack and it has happened to me with both my children  usually while distracted at check out stands. I hate it. But sometimes i just try to bite the bullet and start up a little chit chat. Most people mean well and are simply admiring your little one, which is a lot better than people getting upset at your child's behavior or something. Looking for me is fine, touching is crossing a line with me and at that point I tell them I'm in a hurry and must leave even if I'm not. 

Christiansmom44
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM
My mil and ex mil are both Mexican nationals, and neither of them do that. I grew up in Yuma, Arizona and had two babies there, and nobody ever did that to them...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ksowl
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Ooooooooverreacting!!! I could see if the lady was all dirty or if some stranger was trying to pick up your kid. Older folks don't mean harm and I doubt your child will get a horible old people disease if they are touched!! Don't take the baby out if your going to freak over something sooooo silly!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nikah2006
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM

when my child was one day old she contracted menigitis from the newborn nursery.  the infectioin got in her optical nerve(eye). she is now 1 and we will not know what damage was done to her brain so far. she may be slow and not have high brain functions. so no you were not being overprotective.

elk571
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I greatly dislike when other ppl I don't know touch my baby, not just for germs but just b/c it is creepy and rude too!  We live in TX where there is a huge hispanic population and yes they do this a lot.  I've learned to live w/ it though it does bother me b/c I know they are trying to be nice, though I wish they would at least explain before they do it since I am clearly not familiar w/ their ideas since I'm blonde and blue eyed! lol  W/ my second baby, I got a soft velcro Safety 1st sign kind of like those baby on board ones that attaches to the infant seat handle that says something like "please do not touch the baby".  It helped for those who spoke English, but the hospital also has ones in multiple languages they will give out if you ask (or if u have a child w/ an immune problem etc they send them home w. you by law) that is very similar!

AmberMae111
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM
It must be exhausting being do angry negative and bitchy all the time. You poor thing I feel for you, it's a rough way to spend life...give yourself a break and lighten the f***k up. Holy shit lady! I'll send warm happy thoughts your way ;)

Quoting Hanab818:

Ok and I give a crap about what u think because? Y should I have to be nice and respectful when some strange lady I don't know is coming up and trying to put their fingers and hands all over my baby's face and I have no idea where those hand have been. Have you ever heard of a thing called personal space? If she can't respect ours then y should I respect her? And what is there for me to get ove? I said what I said when it happened, I didn't come on here and say omg some lady just touched my face I'm so pissed I cant believe she did that. It happened I said my piece to her and I happily went about my day with my boys. Op asked if it was strange to feel that way and I was answering her question. So get off your damn high horse. And you get over it.

Quoting AmberMae111:

Rolling my freaking eyes right now #1 I think you're full of it just a little #2 you can get your point across without being rude disrespectful and hurtful. Learn some damn manners. Get over it.

Quoting Hanab818:

No. Some woman actually did that with my 1 month old and I fucking swatted her hand away and said you batty crazy old bitch what makes you think it's ok to go up to some strangers baby and just touch their face? Dh was with me and just said I'm suprised you didn't punch her and was laughing. And with Ds 1 we started teaching I'm about strangers and when ppl he doesn't know try to touch them he starts yelling and screaming bloody murder. He's also actually pushed ppl hands away from his face. And when he was in his teething/biting phase he tried chomping on someone's finger when they just came up to him and tried pinching his finger. but we nipped that in the bud real fast.

Btw I live in south Florida in a town where old ppl come to die so apparently they all think it's ok to just come up and touch peoples babies without asking if it's ok.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by Hana on May. 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

get the f over yourself. adn who the hell do you think you are to judge me or anyone for a matter of that!! i dont need your happy warm thought i have enough of them for my self. like i said before i was answering op's question adn if you dont like my answer then you didnt have to respond. so take that holier then tho attitude of yours shove it where the sun dont shine and leave me and my family to live our extreamly nonangry happy full of joy and laughter life without you having to worry about me,  and shouldnt you be worrying about you and your kids and butt the f out.

Quoting AmberMae111:

It must be exhausting being do angry negative and bitchy all the time. You poor thing I feel for you, it's a rough way to spend life...give yourself a break and lighten the f***k up. Holy shit lady! I'll send warm happy thoughts your way ;)

Quoting Hanab818:

Ok and I give a crap about what u think because? Y should I have to be nice and respectful when some strange lady I don't know is coming up and trying to put their fingers and hands all over my baby's face and I have no idea where those hand have been. Have you ever heard of a thing called personal space? If she can't respect ours then y should I respect her? And what is there for me to get ove? I said what I said when it happened, I didn't come on here and say omg some lady just touched my face I'm so pissed I cant believe she did that. It happened I said my piece to her and I happily went about my day with my boys. Op asked if it was strange to feel that way and I was answering her question. So get off your damn high horse. And you get over it.

Quoting AmberMae111:

Rolling my freaking eyes right now #1 I think you're full of it just a little #2 you can get your point across without being rude disrespectful and hurtful. Learn some damn manners. Get over it.

Quoting Hanab818:

No. Some woman actually did that with my 1 month old and I fucking swatted her hand away and said you batty crazy old bitch what makes you think it's ok to go up to some strangers baby and just touch their face? Dh was with me and just said I'm suprised you didn't punch her and was laughing. And with Ds 1 we started teaching I'm about strangers and when ppl he doesn't know try to touch them he starts yelling and screaming bloody murder. He's also actually pushed ppl hands away from his face. And when he was in his teething/biting phase he tried chomping on someone's finger when they just came up to him and tried pinching his finger. but we nipped that in the bud real fast.

Btw I live in south Florida in a town where old ppl come to die so apparently they all think it's ok to just come up and touch peoples babies without asking if it's ok.

AmberMae111
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Lmao!!!! You sound like a bundle of joy! Good luck sunshine! ;)

Quoting Hanab818:

get the f over yourself. adn who the hell do you think you are to judge me or anyone for a matter of that!! i dont need your happy warm thought i have enough of them for my self. like i said before i was answering op's question adn if you dont like my answer then you didnt have to respond. so take that holier then tho attitude of yours shove it where the sun dont shine and leave me and my family to live our extreamly nonangry happy full of joy and laughter life without you having to worry about me,  and shouldnt you be worrying about you and your kids and butt the f out.

Quoting AmberMae111:

Quoting Hanab818:

Quoting AmberMae111:

Quoting Hanab818:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN