Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

would you leave your child?

In June we will be moving to Kansas. At the end of may we are planning to go down (or over, really lol) for a week to look at places to live and just check out the area. My MIL has offered to keep our son when we go. He's 3. We haven't ever left him that long and its 13ish hours away. My husband is ok with letting him stay with her. I'm just not sure. I trust her with him, but it's sooo far away! Would you leave your kids that long/far away? Am I crazy for all the "what ifs" that play through my head just thinking about leaving him? What would you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Replies (561-570):
abouttobeamom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Yes I have a wonderful mil even though sometimes she pisses me off...that's normal but I know she loves my girls and my husband has an wesome family...if u feel the same about your mil then no worries and have fun fo that week!
AdellesMom
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM
I would. House hunting with my kiddos would be hell! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HarrisonMD
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Personally...I would leave my kids with my own mother...my MIL is too ill to take care of our 2yr old...but my other in laws would be just fine....Your fears of leaving him are ok. I went through the same thing when our daughter was 5 months old...we were at a marriage retreat where they had free childcare and I was only downstairs from the play room, but I worried about leaving her too, but I took the time to make sure everything was ok and in the end...all was well! Good Luck!

malexander2009
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Yeah that wouldn't happen. Maybe if it we're DH's dad his mom oh hell no...not happening not even over my dead body.

isaiahsmomma86
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Also, my mil OFFERED to take him. I never asked her to! Idk why you are so rude, take a chill pill lady!

Quoting royboy:

Try not being so critical of your MNL and maybe she would be a little more  helpful.

I bet you have ate before or after your child, so whats the difference?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alionline
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I would leave him, I think it's important for our kids to have time alone with their family to forge stronger bonds with them.  

donnadea
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

When I was pregnant with my youngest, the whole family was moving to another state. His parents, his brothers and sisters and their familys. Everyone was moving but I was only 2 weeks from my due date and I had medicaid and was on bed rest. I couldn't really handle a 30 hour road trip at that point. And I didn't want to have to deal with leaving 1 state and trying to get emergency medicaid for my delivery in the other state and not know what doctor I would end up with. We had been living with his family and he was still working, he didn't want to stop his job until we actualy moved so I would be at home alone all day on bed rest and having to deal with 3 kids from 3:30 till around 7pm.

So they gave me a choice.... we could just keep the kids with us until after I had my son and we were ready to move and just try to deal with it all and try to get a friend to watch my 3 kids when I went in to have my son or I could let the kids go with them and get settled in before the new school year started and then we could move to them when we were ready to move.

It was a very hard decision but I decided to let them go with my in-laws and their aunts and uncles and cousins.

It turned out to be a good thing, although I missed them soooo much, I was able to rest a lot better and when I went into labor we went to the hospital and there were problems and I had to have a c-section and then I had problems with bleeding, infection etc.  I was in the hospital for over a week. My son  was perfectly fine. But it would have been next to impossible to get someone to keep my kids for over a week. And it was better not having my 6 yr old want to climb all over me when I got home from the hospital. He has always been a mommas boy and he would have wanted to be in my lap and wanting me to do stuff with him.

I had a hard recovery and we didn't move to where the family was until my youngest was 7 weeks old. But my kids were very glad to see me and I was very glad to see them and they had been very well taken care of.

I only did it because I was very close with his family and I trusted them very much. Even now that their son and I have been divorced for a few years I am still very close with his family and his parents treat me like a daughter and his brothers and sisters treat me like part of their family. His parents help me and tmy kids a lot. They treat my older kids like they are part of the family even though only the youngest is their blood related grandson.

celticgodess
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Hell yes I would.  I love my 3yo DD like crazy and I know I would miss her, but my mom (his mom is gone so not an option) but they can handle it and it would probably be a wonderful experience for everyone involved.

juansmommy
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I would not. BUT my husbands parents dont live in this country my mom isnt in the picture. The only person id leave them with for a few days is my aunt but my son has health issues and i do trust her (she has two teenagers) but id be miserable and unable to concerntrate(i think lol)

WolfpackColi
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM

No but my MIl can't keep the one kid she does have that is my husband's half sister so no way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN