Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Gain and Paxil

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

Anyone ever take paxil?  I've always been thin and it's been a year since I started taking it.  I've gone from 115 to 140...  taking it pretty hard=(  Can anyone enlighten me.... what am I doing wrong?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
boshs1andonly
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

i was losing weight and staying pretty steady after i had dd then i put on a couple of pounds. I didn't even consider that it could be my paxil doing it. i don't know if that's one of the potential side effects, the dr. didn't mention that to me. 

happymommy1105
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM
When I was on paxil I slept 22 hours a day.

Needless to say that only lasted a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I'm taking paxil, but I haven't gained weight. Did you recently have a baby? Maybe you should have your thyroid checked.

LyvConMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Blood work A-OK!!!!  Bummer!  Well- I'd LOVE to blame it on just having a baby.... but that was 4 years ago. =)  LOL! 

LyvConMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Quoting happymommy1105:

When I was on paxil I slept 22 hours a day.

Needless to say that only lasted a week.

Holy Smokes!!!!  LOL!  Yea that wouldn't work for me either!  Yikes!  Feel great, just a little fluffier ;)

LyvConMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Quoting boshs1andonly:

i was losing weight and staying pretty steady after i had dd then i put on a couple of pounds. I didn't even consider that it could be my paxil doing it. i don't know if that's one of the potential side effects, the dr. didn't mention that to me. 

I found some information on the internet saying that paxil is the worst and most notorious of the SSRI's to pack on the pounds.... then I read something about the reason being that paxil inhibits the the way our bodies' chemistry interacts with leptins and insulin... something and to take it with omega 3 and vitamin E and it counteracts the effects... might try this and see.  I remember taking Paxil CR 25mg in 2005 after my divorce and I working out and losing weight and doing GREAT!  Think I might try name brand.  Are you on generic or name brand?

ikesmommy200
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM
well I worked in a mental health clinic as a case manager for a while, wait gain is common with anti depresants and anxeity meds. The reason being is depression and anxeity often cause a decrease in appetite for a whole number of reasons, when your stabalize moods, apetite tends to recover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM

my insurance gives me the generic. although i have to admit i haven't been great about exercising or eating right  lately. im sure once i get back on the ball with that i will be fine. if not, that's when ill talk to my dr. 

Quoting LyvConMom:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

I found some information on the internet saying that paxil is the worst and most notorious of the SSRI's to pack on the pounds.... then I read something about the reason being that paxil inhibits the the way our bodies' chemistry interacts with leptins and insulin... something and to take it with omega 3 and vitamin E and it counteracts the effects... might try this and see.  I remember taking Paxil CR 25mg in 2005 after my divorce and I working out and losing weight and doing GREAT!  Think I might try name brand.  Are you on generic or name brand?

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)