Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hoarding

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
So we are watching hoarding buried alive season 2 episode 2 and this woman is a SAHM and her house is freaking trashed. It's so sad that people choose to live like that and it's heartbreaking that their children grow up like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM
I agree. I get anxiety if my closets are over flowing and I have a lot of clutter. That's my cue to clean house and donate!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM
I'd imagine its quite the compulsion. Probably seems hard for them to control. I am soooo glad I dnt do tht
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metalmommaof3
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
That hoarding thing is CRAZY my sister is a hoarder and it drives me nuts i refuse to go over to her home she tells everyone shes ttc and everyone tells her its not smart or safe to have that type of home for a new bor or child period but she wont listen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We all think it's easy and common sense, but it is psychological.

Maevelyn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I think its an actual medical condition, similar to OCD or an anxiety disorder. Generally it's not a choice, although some people are just nasty. 

ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM

some of those are a medical condition. I have a form of hoarding thats connected to my dissociative identity. I cannot part with anything my kids bring home or have, I have to have someone else do it and i can't watch or I will want to go through it :/

Azmommy0105
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM
This happens when they're depressed about something and don't want to confront what it is... may be something they went through when younger.. a lost job... loss of a loved one... divorce. My aunt is a hoarder... her backyard is full of broken appliances and things in boxes. Her house is full of extra furniture and tons and tons of plants. The only spot clean ia the kitchen and that's because her daughter cleans that up.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

We all think it's easy and common sense, but it is psychological.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Oh and my great grandmother was a HORRIBLE hoarder, like having pathways through the house. She went through the Great Depression and was afraid of it happening again so she held onto everything. When she died it took so many dump trucks to cart everything away. She hid money in books and magazines as well. 

ikesmommy200
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM
I know the lady across the street is one. She has a beautiful yard that she spends hours on it, then you look at the house and driveway and its heartbreaking. Theres trash bags piled to the roof of her carport, boxes on front of all the windows, furniture and misc stuff piled on the porch and two non running cars filled to the top with stuff. Sitting back it seems clear, just clean it up, but having a degree in psychlogical case manegment I know its not that simple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)