Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If This Happened To Your Child What Would you Do?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do if you were in his shoes?

Options:

A: Sue the school district

B: Take his approach

C: Honestly, I'm not sure :\

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/stuart-chaifetz-secretly-tapes-autistic-son-school-discovers-220500111.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkscHt96R0

What would you do? Would you remove your child from the school? Would you sue the school for the treatment of your child? How would you feel if you were in that position? 

It's kind of sad how nowadays you're hearing more and more about teachers verbally (and even some physically) abusing the Special Ed students as if they are nothing. It sickens me and makes me wonder how in the world this stuff is allowed to go on! It's as if they think since they are in the special ed class that those children do not have feelings! 

I know if I were in his shoes I probably would remove my child from the school district and think about a lawsuit. NO child should ever deal with that, no matter what their mental capacity. :\ 

**I'm having problems making it clicky so if someone else makes it clicky if it doesn't work here then yay! Also, please refrain from bashing peoples' opinions/point of views. ^^ This board wasn't written to generate negativity.**

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTuree
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I won't watch it because I know I will become too irate if I do.

However, it's not just "nowadays" that this is happening. People with mental and physical handicapped are lucky in this day and age because they actually have rights now. Think of how many children were murdered throughout time because they weren't "normal". In the 80's my mom worked for a home for disabled children, it was a place were parents dropped off their handicapped kids because they couldn't deal with them. She said only a handful of parents actually came and saw their kids. The worst part was the babies spent most of their time in cribs with no human touch. She did her best to try to go around to them and touch them and hold them whenever she could. This was completely acceptable though because they "weren't really people" (not to my mom, but to the majority of other people)

She had gotten into this field because her brother is mentally handicapped. When he was born (in the 60's) they knew he was going to have problems, the doctors tried to convince my grandma (a poor Mexican woman married to a black man) that he was just going to die so let them keep the baby "for the hospital". My grandma fought for her baby (they seriously tried to keep him) and he is alive and well today. Shoot he is more independent than some of my other fully functioning uncles!

raye-chan
by Raye on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Kinda sounds like my cousin. He was born in 1980 and he's mentally handicapped. Although some of the things he has done over the span of his life so far, he knows he's doing wrong but enjoys the consequences from them >.<

I was pretty pissed myself to be honest. I didn't even get halfway through the video before my boyfriend and I said we both couldn't stand listening to it anymore. It was insulting and made us want to slap someone. 

Quoting MissTuree:

I won't watch it because I know I will become too irate if I do.

However, it's not just "nowadays" that this is happening. People with mental and physical handicapped are lucky in this day and age because they actually have rights now. Think of how many children were murdered throughout time because they weren't "normal". In the 80's my mom worked for a home for disabled children, it was a place were parents dropped off their handicapped kids because they couldn't deal with them. She said only a handful of parents actually came and saw their kids. The worst part was the babies spent most of their time in cribs with no human touch. She did her best to try to go around to them and touch them and hold them whenever she could. This was completely acceptable though because they "weren't really people" (not to my mom, but to the majority of other people)

She had gotten into this field because her brother is mentally handicapped. When he was born (in the 60's) they knew he was going to have problems, the doctors tried to convince my grandma (a poor Mexican woman married to a black man) that he was just going to die so let them keep the baby "for the hospital". My grandma fought for her baby (they seriously tried to keep him) and he is alive and well today. Shoot he is more independent than some of my other fully functioning uncles!

megangary
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Honestly I have no words for this. I don't really believe in homeschooling (I'm not bashing anybody who does though), but in a circumstance like this, I'd want my DS homeschooled. Go dad! simple frown

raye-chan
by Raye on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I homeschooled my 8th and 9th grades because of the harassment from teachers and classmates. I don't really know what to say either if I were in his place. It makes me feel so disgusted hearing someone tell a child those things! 

Quoting megangary:

Honestly I have no words for this. I don't really believe in homeschooling (I'm not bashing anybody who does though), but in a circumstance like this, I'd want my DS homeschooled. Go dad! simple frown

RoxyJI
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I would contemplate cutting a bish
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowWaters
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Wow just wow...That man has way more self control than I would in his situation. I'd have put full names, photos, and address of those evil people in the video and send it to every news station in the state and all over the Internet. I could barely get through the video without tears; that poor boy. That is a damn good father!

Shermy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I don't know if sueing the school would give me the desired results. 

I think I would want them to pay for a private tutor and therapist, I would want to see some serious policy changes and steps towards increased oversight and inclusion training because children with Autism ARE freaking stressful. Teachers need better on going training and resources, it takes a lot even if you are working with the autistic population. I would want a written apology, face to face apology for my son and I would want  well. Hot damn, a lot of things. If sueing is the only way to get it, so be it, but changes in the district are what I would rather have. Money isn't what I would want. 

.....and I would want that teacher GONE.  

haydensmom4610
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I saw this...it's heartbreaking! Made me sick to my stomach! I would sue the school district. It was their job to make sure school was a safe environment for him and they failed. It would also make the teacher's name public and make it more likely that she would be fired.

Autiziumom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM
Thank u for posting. Hits close to home. My son is seven w/ autism. I cried when I heard this video. N the audio was really hard to listen too. I like the dads approach. Get those women out the school system. Away from any children. I hope so. Over in the autism support group we r sending e-mails to the school. Plz tell everyone!
raye-chan
by Raye on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

You're welcome ^^ I'm sorry your son has autism. Even with that I bet he's still such a wonderful little boy. Yeah, that's the only downside of the audio; it sucks >.< But I agree, those women need to be removed from the school and probably no longer allowed to teach. If they can't handle that class then I doubt they could handle teaching a mainstream class. 

Quoting Autiziumom:

Thank u for posting. Hits close to home. My son is seven w/ autism. I cried when I heard this video. N the audio was really hard to listen too. I like the dads approach. Get those women out the school system. Away from any children. I hope so. Over in the autism support group we r sending e-mails to the school. Plz tell everyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)