Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Punishment help....*Added*

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

So DS has to be structured or he acts out. Right now he's on a behavior chart and he has to work towards goals. So after so many "green" days he gets a privilege, like in 2 weeks my mom is taking him for the weekend to the Army Transportation Museum, and in 4 weeks he gets this life like Army truck set he has been eyeing at my aunts house. 

If he doesn't have a green day, then he starts back at zero and has to earn back the days. Well this week his goal was 5 green days in a row so he could go to his friends party this weekend. I thought it would be great motivation, but for someone reason he has been destructive, defiant, and been lying. I know I need to follow through with what I said, but is it horrible to take away the party? He really didn't earn it and I don't want him to think that he can get what he wants without working towards it. Advice? Suggestions?

Added: Him and his older sister also damaged something this week and they have to work off the cost this weekend. I am having them weed and help plant in my grandparents garden, and then go clean out my moms gardens. I am trying to teach them consequence because before I would just take away things, now I am making them take accountability. Argh punishing as they get older you hear "you're the mean mommy" or "you don't love me" a lot more 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy259
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Stick to ur word!!! No party
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoxyJI
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM
follow through!
If you buckle he will notice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelyladybump
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM
I wouldn't let him go to the party. Why do you feel he should go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:36 PM

/They transferred school districts this year and this is the only party either of my kids have been invited to. *sigh* I just need to suck it up and be the "mean" mom for once lol

Quoting lovelyladybump:

I wouldn't let him go to the party. Why do you feel he should go?

ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

True....he is a smart one. He was doing so well too, he had 28 green days before the last 2 weeks

Quoting RoxyJI:

follow through!
If you buckle he will notice

EmmaZate
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM

He didnt earn it! not going will teach him more than going will

t1gger143
by Katie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Follow through. We are at the same point with our 5 year old. He's being defiant at school.
ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Yeah thats why we started it, his poor teacher was at the end of her rope. Its really helped. Good luck with yours!

Quoting t1gger143:

Follow through. We are at the same point with our 5 year old. He's being defiant at school.

t1gger143
by Katie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Quoting ambermarie2006:

Thanks. Who knew preschool could be so stressful.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Stick to the punishment. He will survive if he misses one party. I understand the worry about being in a new place and making friends...Maybe get the birthday kiddo a small gift from your son and a card, and give/send it to him with a note saying, "I'm sorry I can't be there"?? Show the new friend he cares, ya know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)