Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How do you live off 20,000 a year? UPDATE!!!!!

I start my new job Monday and I'm extremely excited! I thought I would make around $12 starting off but instead I'm starting at $10 plus a Christmas Bonus. I did the math and I'll be making a little under $20K a year. How can my daughter and I live comfortably on that? My parents pay for my daughters daycare and everything else right now (since I was unemployed). My rent is about 800 plus 200 for utilities. My daughter daycare is also about 800 a month. Anywho combined with everything else I would need about $2000 a month to live comfortably. My parents are still willing to help me out where needed.

Anyway, my question is even with my parents helping how can I spread my money out so I don't live paycheck to paycheck.

.........................................UPDATE...............................................

So I've taken most of you all's advice and I think I cam up with a decent plan. I'm only happy that I'm not doing this COMPLETLY on my own. 

- my parent's moved some tenants into the basement after I moved out and now I will get their rent payments. So that's $650 right there, I just have to pay the remaining balance and my utilies. That's only going to be about $300/month

- I will pay for my gas, but that's only about $200 a month.

- I recieve FS, and just updated my information, so hopefully I will continue to receive them, even though I have a job now

- My parents agreed to continue paying for my daughters daycare

- I'm going to try and save about $200/month

- I don't necessarily have to worry about my DD's clothes. My mom loves shopping for her and even though her dad isn't around he sends her a box of clothes twice a year

- I could get rid of my internet since I am taking evening classes at the local college. I could take my laptop there, Starbucks, Barnes & Nobels, the library, etc...

- I also payed off most of my debt, so now all I have to worry about is the overdraft fee's from a few years ago :/     Also if I can afford it, I'm going to try and start paying my student loans off, even though I don't have too yet.

I'M PRETTY SURE THAT'S ABOUT IT :)

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
MarinaVictoria
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM
I don't have that option. I just graduated school, passed my certification exam, and finally got a entry level medical assisting job. I'm too happy/blessed to be picky right now. Once I get a few years of experience under my belt then I can "choose" what jobs I want. But I must say that hopefully in a few years I'm still working for the same doctor.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Then budget... I dont take job offers less than 40k a year. That's a low salary... It depends on your lifestyle

Quoting MarinaVictoria:

Not possible

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Getting a second job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiveByTheSun
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Seriously?! How? I must be the most frivolous spender because that blows my mind! I wish I was as good with money as that. My df is the sole provider pretty much for us and our daughter. I work part time and my job is to buy groceries. But I made 20k last year.. And I know I didn't spend all that on groceries. Lol! And I only saved about 5k.. :-/ oops!

Quoting MomaFied:

shoot 20k a year would be great at this point... i live down to the penny right now. sooooo on around 15k.... its hard. but we manage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarinaVictoria
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Lmao! I'm still blessed and thankful that my parents will still be helping. I'm going to try and save what I can. And from once I see what a normal paycheck will look like I will know how to budget.

Quoting LiveByTheSun:

Seriously?! How? I must be the most frivolous spender because that blows my mind! I wish I was as good with money as that. My df is the sole provider pretty much for us and our daughter. I work part time and my job is to buy groceries. But I made 20k last year.. And I know I didn't spend all that on groceries. Lol! And I only saved about 5k.. :-/ oops!

Quoting MomaFied:

shoot 20k a year would be great at this point... i live down to the penny right now. sooooo on around 15k.... its hard. but we manage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheeRhee
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

This. WIC if you qualify, make a meal plan every week and use it to make a grocery shopping list and stick to it I coupon like crazy and a lot of the basics can be found at the $ tree and a lot of my kids clothes come from consignment shops or goodwill since I see no reason why I should spend a ton of money on clothes they're going to out grow in a few months and get stained up playing and eating in (my kids are 1 year and 3 months).

Quoting RedSoxWife:

Don't buy name brand stuff, shop for cheaper car insurance, see if your county has an energy assistance program with utilities, tone down on non essential things, figure a workable budget and stick to it.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Yes then your job is def good to get experience and to be used as a stepping stone. Id say budget everything... Cut out things like people said... Aka cut out internet, cable, or try to lower your cell bill, check out cheaper rentals, see if you need and qualify for PA. Congrats on the.job and school

Quoting MarinaVictoria:

I don't have that option. I just graduated school, passed my certification exam, and finally got a entry level medical assisting job. I'm too happy/blessed to be picky right now. Once I get a few years of experience under my belt then I can "choose" what jobs I want. But I must say that hopefully in a few years I'm still working for the same doctor.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Then budget... I dont take job offers less than 40k a year. That's a low salary... It depends on your lifestyle

Quoting MarinaVictoria:

Not possible

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Getting a second job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:57 PM
I cant imagine, there are lots of women that do. Hopefully they have good ideas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM
I have no idea maybe move in with family. There's no way we could live off that :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Exactly. I don't even know if we get 15k a year for 4 people.

Some of these women blow my mind.. and complain about 50k-100k. I know there is a difference in lifstyles and costs of living, but damn.

Quoting MomaFied:

MomRocs1102
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Don't over spend, be mindful of purchases and budget.

Gealach
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Idk hon. We couldnt do it. Our rent alone is 12k a year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)