Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Any cloth diapering mamas?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
What's your favorite diaper?
How long have you been doing it?
What is your washing routine?

My favorite this week is the perfect bum
I have been cloth diapering for 14 months, (since DS was 4m)
And I wash every other day in the machine but I'm looking into bucket washing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Needlesmama
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

we have CD'd for 16months and i love it...my wash routine is 1st cycle rinse with water only(or if i am stripping them i put the dawn dish soap in this round), then next cycle my homemade detergent, then last cycle rinse again...have never done bucket washing and have only used sposies twice once to travel and then when she first came home till her umbilical cord came off...and we wash every other day as well since we only have 15 diapers and use cloth wipes too

MommyChay
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Could I ask what your home made detergent recipe is? :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Needlesmama
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

1 bar felsnaphsa or Ivory soap

1 Cup washing soda

1/2 cup Borax

Grate bar of soap into 4cups water and melt over med heat on stove, stirring occasionally(stir too much it creats bubbles that don't hurt anything but don't go away once the detergent sets)...while the soap melts take a 5gal bucket and fill 1/3 full with hot water and dissolve the washing soda completely, then fill another third full and dissolve the borax completely-with these 2 steps you may have to break up clumps of powder as you pour them in, if you don't they stay solid and don't dissolve...when the soap is melted add to the bucket as well and fill to the "fill line" the rim about an inch or two below top of bucket...i stir mine with an old broom handle...then let cool overnight or for at least 8hrs-can be used immediately in an emergency it just won't be set up yet...when you remove the lid after it cools STIR STIR STIR it will look like a big lump of strange jello and will continue to for 3 or 4 stirrring sessions but it doesn't hurt anything to use like this...i use 1/2 a cup or less and use it on every load of wash we do not just diapers and it lasts 3 or 4 months for us and in walmart all the items are right next to eachother in the detergent aisle and total the first time cost $10 and then after you will have leftover borax and washing soda and will only need to buy the bars of soap which felsnaphsa costs $.97 here so its cheaper and you get 5gals of detergent :-)

hempmommy87
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Hmm my favorite right now (sometimes it changes lol) would have to be Kawaii minky bamboo! If you haven't tried those, you seriously must :D They are so so awesome but affordable :) 

I think I started CDing around 4mo as well so 10 months total since DS is 14mo. I wish I'd done it sooner.

We do a rinse first, super wash, then and extra rinse at the end. Nothing too special. Sometimes I'll add vinegar to the wash. We tumble dry the inserts and just let the shells air dry. I have hand washed in the tub before. It is a lot of work but doable. Oh we use Ecos detergent right now but I want to make my own.

MommyChay
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Is it safe for really sensitive skin?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyChay
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I actually haven't tried any kawaiis I've heard they're a brand you either love or hate, and I am trying out bucket washing today and it's sooooo easy!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed3229
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

i love CDing  :) we've been doing it for 14 months (baby was 3 mths old)  thats when i found just simply baby cloth diapers. very affordable, great customer service, great knowledge for first time CDing mommas, great informative videos and JSB supports WAHM's. We have 40 CDers and wash every 3 days. i love Rockin Green detergent. my wash routine is 1st wash hot water no detergent, 2nd wash hot water with 3 scoops of rockin green, 3rd wash hot water no detergent (as an extra rinse) then either sun dry or Dryer cycle. i do plan on trying the home made detergent above ;D thanks Needlesmama

MommyChay
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I love CDing, :) my son broke out really bad with sposies from sensitive skin but nothing with cloth except a little rash last summer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmgriffberg
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

we have been cd for almost 12 mo

we was every day to every other day (we have 30 cd for 2 kids. i REALLY want to get more but the $ isnt there right now so yeah)

the only kind i have is cloth by tel but i would love to try some others once we get more $

LMacD0809
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

My 10 Mon. son has been in CD since he was about 2 1/2 weeks old.. I was going to wait until he was 9 lbs but he got HORRIBLE chemical burns from disposibles.. 

My all time favorites are BG, FB & RAR. I have tried HH, Kawaii, Baby Kicks,sun babies and a ton of Chinese diapers and I don't like them at all, I keep the Chinese for emergency uses only. 

Right now I rinse in cold, hot wash with extra rinse and TRY to line dry. Charlie's Soap & laundry booster are amazing! I used them to strip the old detergent I was using out of our diapers when I first got the it.. I couldn't believe the color of the water! it was pretty gross thinking that the diapers had been clean

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)