Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

potty training advice!!???

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello, i have been trying to explain to my son that he can use the potty like a big boy hes going to be 3 in september and hes gone on the potty a few times but doesnt want to do it all the time. ive tried so hard..and then he surprises me with doing it without telling me at all he just goes right in the bathroom and goes on the potty but if i take his diaper off he doesnt want to use the potty. how can i get him to want to use the potty everytime he needs to go or is he just not ready to fully be out of diapers just yet?  

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mommy_Jenx3
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Give him time. He may not be ready to use it full time. As frustrating as it is, he will do it in his time. I tried every bribery under the sun with my kids.....they picked out their underwear, new bedding, sticker charts, candy, I set timers...you name it, I did it. Lol. I would back off and they would lead the way. They eventually woke up one day and decided they were done with diapers. Hang in there mama....he will get it soon. In the meantime, follow his lead. If he wants to use it, let him. If not, back off. It's certainly not something that can be pushed. It can backfire. Good luck :)
OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM
My dd (she'll be 3 in September) just potty trained herself this past week. I took all the Easter candy away and hid it. She wanted that candy so bad and was mad at me bc I wouldn't let her have any. So last Monday she told me "my go pee my potty! My get my candy momma!" And she did. She gets her choice if 1 jellybean OR 1 m&m everytime she goes on the potty.

My ds 4.5yo was so much harder to potty train. He was 3 when we started training him. I took his diapers away and bought him some transformers underwear and some boxers (like daddy). He peed everywhere BUT the potty. Then slowly he started going on the potty. He had a prize box and a sticker chart. It took 2-3 weeks before he was going in the potty more than he was going on the floor.

We also gave him lots to drink and set a timer for 20 minutes. That way he got used to going on the potty. And we read LOTS of books.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sept-babies2
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM

thank you yeah everyone tells me boy are way harder then girls..so i will just for now wait for him to be ready 

LuLuRex
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

He may not be ready. Potty training became a lot easier for us once my son turned three.

Reina13
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

He sounds like he is just having fun with the concept of potty but not really ready to be trained. I would just wait a while longer then try again.

JayMommy91
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

OMG MY SON HAS BEEN ON PULL UPS SINCE HE WAS 1YRS OLD N HE GOES TO THE POTTY SOMETIMES BUT NOT LIKE HE SUPPOSED TO AND HES TWO YEARS OLD I NEED HELP N HE DOSENT WANNA LISTEN TO ME AT ALL I NEED HELP WITH POTTY AND TO GAIN CONTROL...HELPPPPPPPPPP

KenzieQsMommy
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Just take away the diapers. Its an easy crutch and all he's ever known. You'll have a messy few days but it sounds like he IS ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN