Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Selling a car?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM
  • 7 Replies
Have any of you ladies sold a vehicle before? Do I need to have insurance on my car to sell it or no? My car insurance is about to need to be renewed in May but I'm selling it in May
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rockinmomto2
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM

No it doesn't need to have insurance on it for you to be able to sell it, but in order for you to drive it until you need to sell it, it needs insurance. Are you getting another car to replace the one you're selling?

love2jump
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. We just bought a car and want to sell our other vehicle, but im not sure if I can take the insurance off the old vehicle until we sell it. We can't drive the new one until we switch the insurance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather.marie08
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:58 PM
You do not need insurance on it to sell it. As long as you wont be driving it you will be ok. I have sold many vehicles and never kept the insurance on it while it was for sale since it was not being driven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLuRex
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

You don't need insurance just the title :)

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM
You don't need insurance if it isn't going to be driven by you or anyone else. If someone comes over to test drive your car and gets in an accident the car isn't covered at this point and you will be out of a sellable car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyMarissa
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't need insurance to sell it; however, you do need to keep atleast liability only on it so the prospective buyer can test drive it.  If you don't & they have a wreck, you'll be liable for the damage they might cause!!!  Plus, in order for them to drive it, you will need to keep current tags on it & here that means yes you must keep the insuranc on it.  I strongly suggest you contact your local DMV & your insurance company/agent & ask them the same question as it is different for every state & insurance company!!!

sreichelt26
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM

What everyone said :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)