Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

To mothers raising boys, I have a couple questions!

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi Ladies,

My question is when did you start letting your son(s) start using the Mens public restroom alone?

Like if it's just you and your kids out one day, how old were they when you let them go to the Mens restroom alone and did you worry about them while they were in there?

Thanks! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
misslady80013
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Ok, did he want to or you felt that he should? How is he handling it?

Quoting muthrof_2:

He's 4.(5 in a month) Been doing it about 8 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADY_V088
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is 6 and he goes with me! I'll give him his privacy and stand by the stall door but he will not go in a mens bathroom till I feel comfortable.... And i've never gotten any snide remarks or dirty looks... I'm sure many women would understand

Quoting misslady80013:

I hear you because I don't either. Do women give you dirty looks or make snarky comments when your sons are in there with you at their ages?

Quoting ChelseySpelsey:

My boys are 7 & 6 and I still make them use the women's restroom. I just do NOT trust people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Oh, ok, that's good.

Quoting shadow_lark:

I havent told him exactly...but he definitly knows that no one should be touching him and things like that.

Quoting misslady80013:

Ok, did you tell him to scream if something was wrong? If so, great idea!

Quoting shadow_lark:

I let Ds go alone. he's 4.5... i do get nervous, but he's pretty vocal, if anything were to happen i would know right away since i stand right outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraiD83
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I let my 4 year old run in bc if not I have to unpack my 3 year old & 2 week old, but I stand right outside the door.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSlingshot
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm guessing that age eight will be my minimum. I cannot imagine letting him go in a restroom alone at this age. I just started letting him stand outside my stall while I pee, and still make him keep his boots under the door and talk to me the while time.

Quoting misslady80013:

So like 8 or 9?

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

DS is 4.5 and we're nowhere near ready for him to go to public bathrooms solo. I'll consider it in a few years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Ok, that sounds like a reasonable age to me.

Quoting KarenBadazz2011:

I would say abut 8 or so when they know to scream when something is not right but i would still stand by the door and go in if i didn't feel right or ask a store employee to go in and check things out for me. but no younger then 8 for me

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM
That's great! I asked because I have seen it happen before. Only twice in my 25 years of living.

Quoting LADY_V088:

My son is 6 and he goes with me! I'll give him his privacy and stand by the stall door but he will not go in a mens bathroom till I feel comfortable.... And i've never gotten any snide remarks or dirty looks... I'm sure many women would understand

Quoting misslady80013:

I hear you because I don't either. Do women give you dirty looks or make snarky comments when your sons are in there with you at their ages?

Quoting ChelseySpelsey:

My boys are 7 & 6 and I still make them use the women's restroom. I just do NOT trust people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM
That's a great idea!

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

I'm guessing that age eight will be my minimum. I cannot imagine letting him go in a restroom alone at this age. I just started letting him stand outside my stall while I pee, and still make him keep his boots under the door and talk to me the while time.

Quoting misslady80013:

So like 8 or 9?

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

DS is 4.5 and we're nowhere near ready for him to go to public bathrooms solo. I'll consider it in a few years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muthrof_2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
He asked if he could, and I felt he was fine with it before that, but waited until he was ready. He's doing awesome. He knows I'm out side if he needs and to call me...

There was one time a man was offering to help him wash his hands.. he called me , I went in and he told me. I thanked the man and washed his hands... wasn't a bad situation but he knew not to speak to anyone, for any reason. I think if u feel he's ready then to let him. Go over it with him, let him know if he plays around or anything that it will b back to going in the ladies room.

Quoting misslady80013:

Quoting muthrof_2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome! Oh, my son is wayyyy too young, he's only 3 weeks, lol. I was just asking because I know I will be faced with this situation one day and wanted to hear how you all handle it.

Quoting muthrof_2:

He asked if he could, and I felt he was fine with it before that, but waited until he was ready. He's doing awesome. He knows I'm out side if he needs and to call me...

There was one time a man was offering to help him wash his hands.. he called me , I went in and he told me. I thanked the man and washed his hands... wasn't a bad situation but he knew not to speak to anyone, for any reason. I think if u feel he's ready then to let him. Go over it with him, let him know if he plays around or anything that it will b back to going in the ladies room.

Quoting misslady80013:

Quoting muthrof_2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN