Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Gaining weight too fast? Worried!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm 16 weeks pregnant. Spent my entire 1st trimester throwing everything up, unded up smaller than I was before i found out I was pregnant. Now I'm 16 weeks, my fingers are slightly swelled, and I feel bloated, and the scale is showing an 8 pound increase. That doesn't sound like much, except for where I'm at in my pregnancy, and the fact that I'm only allowed to gain about 15 pounds. ...I just don't want to mess up.

I love being pregnant. However, I love it soooo much with my first baby (who is now 19 months) that I gained about 40 pounds...and never lost it. So this pregnancy I was determined to do it right, and do it healthy. Last couple of weeks we've done nothing but eat out, so I lost the "healthy" I know. I need to get right though...but I'm not sure I know how.

Cut calories? Focus only on the good ones? Cut carbs? Ugh, I feel defeated. 

The beautiful thing is I'm addicted to salad during this pregancy. It's all I think about. Maybe I should live off salad's. :) 

Any help would be great!

BabyFetus Ticker
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaybean
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Do not cut calories. Just eat the proper amount of calories for your size. Remember, you aren't actually eating for two. You don't need to eat extra, but shouldn't try to diet or cut calories down below where it should be for body size. My suggestion is to just eat very healthy, and get exercise as much as you can. Then whatever weight gain you have is out of your control. And as far as only gaining 15 lbs goes..who said that? Did your OB make that rule for you, or is that just you deciding that? 15 lbs is not considered enough weight gain, and I think it's unrealistic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lullabylee89
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Yep, OB gave me a 15 pound limit. I had 25 with my first baby, and exceeded it. When I heard 15, I was just scared. I mean, I guess if I were eating super healthy and working out all the time I wouldn't worry so much about the number, but it's hard not too.

sreichelt26
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM
I agree.

At my first appt, the head midwife told me I shouldn't gain more than 20 lbs. I gained 55 with no problems for baby or myself, and my midwife wasn't concerned. I lost 40 of it by 2 weeks pp.

Your body will gain what it needs to support a healthy pregnancy. 15lbs barely covers the weight of the baby, placenta, and fluid.

Quoting Kaybean:

Do not cut calories. Just eat the proper amount of calories for your size. Remember, you aren't actually eating for two. You don't need to eat extra, but shouldn't try to diet or cut calories down below where it should be for body size. My suggestion is to just eat very healthy, and get exercise as much as you can. Then whatever weight gain you have is out of your control. And as far as only gaining 15 lbs goes..who said that? Did your OB make that rule for you, or is that just you deciding that? 15 lbs is not considered enough weight gain, and I think it's unrealistic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TS9509
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I gained 30 pounds and my doctor always made comments at every appt then after I had my son before I left the hospital I was back to my pre pregnancy size. Needless to say my doctor shut his mouth lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lullabylee89
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I thought the same thing that 15 barely covered what the baby would be, and my husband makes BIG babies, so I can only assume this baby will be bigger than the last, therefore I knew weight gained was inevitable. Don't get me wrong I want to eat healthy and try my best but hearing that limit of 15 has literally consumed my mind. While i love my body while pregnant, I constantly worry about that number. I do need to get back on track with eating helthy and cutting out the soda, which i started yesterday...but today is just one of those days where I just hate what I saw on the scale this mroning...and I'm thinking of horrible things. haha. 

JansRainbow
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Get exercise. I do water aerobics and we have two girls in our class that are pregnant. Check with your doctor about getting exercise. Walking is great too.

Taurus930
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Why can you only gain 15? I gained 50 but I'm very small so my doc just thought I could use the extra weight anyway. I ended up losing it all but not by choice. Just eat healthy and stay active I'm sure you'll be fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidenmomplus4
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I was told 25 lbs with my first son and I put on more like 37lbs but by the time i had my 6 week check up I was down 43 lbs, my ob didn't bother me as long I wasn't having any other problems with my healthy or the baby. This time around with baby number 6 I was told only 15 lbs, I am also 16 weeks pregnant and I have already put on 10 lbs lol but my OB's attitude is still the same as long as I'm ok and the baby is ok he doesn't see any reason to be concern about my weight gain. I say do your best to eat healthy if you can get some exercise in would be awesome but stressing yourself over the weight you put on is for sure not good for you or your baby. 

Lullabylee89
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

This made me feel a lot better! My OB has not seen the 8 lb increase, even though she weighed me last week. I have a feeling most of it's probably water, and not being able to use the bathroom AND poor eating choices through the last week. She's never mentioned my weight, but simply showed me a chart based off BMI (Which I think is a faulty number anyway, given how many conditions they leave out of the calculation) and said my limit was 15. I gained about 40 with my first baby and literally lost nothing BUT I was newly married, I was happy with a baby...so I ate. It was ALL my fault. hahaha. I do not want to do that this time. So I'm scared of seeing this number go up knowing it's already so high. And i hate being sad about it knowing I have such a sweet baby growing in there! 

But I just keep reminding myself that I can fix it. I need to get back on track with eating healthy and sticking to JUST water, and not letting that stupid number rule my mind. It's about a healthy baby. I was 185 witih my first baby and gained 40. 19 months after my DD I still have that 40 pounds and I'm pregnant. So naturally seeing that number rise just terrifies me. I've never been this weight ever in my life. I'm thankful to God I look pregnant. I honestly through I would be too big to ever look pregnant but I had a cute bump at 10 weeks and it's still growing. But I can't help but worry about my weight...but it's about the baby. 

Quoting aidenmomplus4:

I was told 25 lbs with my first son and I put on more like 37lbs but by the time i had my 6 week check up I was down 43 lbs, my ob didn't bother me as long I wasn't having any other problems with my healthy or the baby. This time around with baby number 6 I was told only 15 lbs, I am also 16 weeks pregnant and I have already put on 10 lbs lol but my OB's attitude is still the same as long as I'm ok and the baby is ok he doesn't see any reason to be concern about my weight gain. I say do your best to eat healthy if you can get some exercise in would be awesome but stressing yourself over the weight you put on is for sure not good for you or your baby. 

BabyFruit Ticker
Lullabylee89
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM

God bless you and your tiny little body with your 50 lb weight gain. Hahaha. I wasn't tiny before my first DD. I was about 185, but I felt happy that my doctor said I shoudl gain at least 25-30 pounds. I was like, "Okay I read the weight gain chart, so I must not be THAT big if I can gain all that." Once I hit my 30 pound mark the doctor went, "Every pound after this will be all you to lose." I gained 10 more. And despite what i read about losing 25 pounds of "baby" ...I only lost about 10. ...adn of course gained it all back by living with handsome men who can eat whatever they want. haha. So I must take the healthy road with this baby adn try my best!

Quoting Taurus930:

Why can you only gain 15? I gained 50 but I'm very small so my doc just thought I could use the extra weight anyway. I ended up losing it all but not by choice. Just eat healthy and stay active I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN