Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Moms who recently had a kindergartener..eta!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM
  • 43 Replies

My son is 4 this month. he starts kindergarten NEXt August (2013)

Since Im staying home after baby is born, I want to work with him a LOT over the next year to get him prepared for kindergarten at age 5, instead of age 6. he's on that fine line birthday wise where he has to test in at age 5. (he missed cut off by ONE day to be automatically in at age 5)

So what are some things even the mundane things, that he should know or needs to be learning by kindergarten.

I can't go by my experience because I was doing multiplication addition/subtraction and division BEFORE kindergarten. Plus I could read and write and was learning cursive. ( i had a SAHM and LOTs of siblings teaching me)

Iknow thats extremely unlikely with my DS.

so other than saying his ABC's and counting to 50 cutting a straight line with scissors and writing his name what else does he need to know before kindergarten.

im looking for the things he will be TESTED on to get early placement since he misses the auto-enroll by ONE day. so im looking for REQUIREMENTS type stuff...

dont worry, i will push him beyond what is required, however, I want to be sure i focus on the requirements that he will need to enroll at age 5 instead of having to wait a whole year because his birthday fell ONE day after cut off.

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaHome
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Colors, shapes and know how to spell and write his name

WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM

im working with him on the spelling and writing of his name. he just doesnt "get it" but his colors, shapes, and numbers he knows, also, colors inside the lines.

Quoting MamaHome:

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

claddison
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

reading.  all the colors, shapes, how to share, taking turns.  basic addition and subtraction, writing lower and uppercase, writing numbers, telling time on a traditional clock.

my youngest son starts Kindergarten this August and the list of everything he needs to know and will learn in Kindergarten he already knows.

MamaHome
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

im working with him on the spelling and writing of his name. he just doesnt "get it" but his colors, shapes, and numbers he knows, also, colors inside the lines.

Quoting MamaHome:

My son is just 5 and he loves to write and spell his name. However, he does not like to count at ALL. He can make it to 16 but after that he's over it.

Every kid has things that they are good at. I think the fact that you are working with him at all will put him light years ahead....

WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

this is all stuff he needs to know BEFORE starting school? what will they teach him once he's in there? reading doesnt start until 2nd grade here. and math is LATE kinder/early 1st grade.

Quoting claddison:

reading.  all the colors, shapes, how to share, taking turns.  basic addition and subtraction, writing lower and uppercase, writing numbers, telling time on a traditional clock.

my youngest son starts Kindergarten this August and the list of everything he needs to know and will learn in Kindergarten he already knows.

WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

i dont want to work with him TOO much, and have him end up bored out of his mind like i was... lol. His dad and I were both advanced in school and got into lots of trouble being bored. BUT I dont want him to be behind either!

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

Quoting MamaHome:

My son is just 5 and he loves to write and spell his name. However, he does not like to count at ALL. He can make it to 16 but after that he's over it.

Every kid has things that they are good at. I think the fact that you are working with him at all will put him light years ahead....

MamaHome
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yeah thats too advanced for kindergarten.

Math and reading happen later.

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

this is all stuff he needs to know BEFORE starting school? what will they teach him once he's in there? reading doesnt start until 2nd grade here. and math is LATE kinder/early 1st grade.

Quoting claddison:

MamaHome
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I dont think you can ever work with him too much. Even if he is advanced theres always the possibility that he could test out of his grade.

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

i dont want to work with him TOO much, and have him end up bored out of his mind like i was... lol. His dad and I were both advanced in school and got into lots of trouble being bored. BUT I dont want him to be behind either!

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

Quoting MamaHome:

mamabearlehman
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM
I don't know. My DS started kindergarten when he was 4. He just made the cut off date and is the youngest in his class. He could already read, write, add & subtract, and so on. He will be 5 when he starts first grade next year. You can look online and find some kindergarten activity books that should help guide you. Good luck ma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Well my son just turned 5 and was in allay perk at h,is local elementary, and he the exception in his class be could write his full name before he even started perk and count in assisted to 100.

Counting and early math skills he is working in basic addition and subtraction, we have sight word flash cards and he's already on his way to reading on his own.

We use Lots of flash cards! Either home made or bought

If I think of more ill post again. Also encourage pretend play.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN