Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Moms who recently had a kindergartener..eta!

My son is 4 this month. he starts kindergarten NEXt August (2013)

Since Im staying home after baby is born, I want to work with him a LOT over the next year to get him prepared for kindergarten at age 5, instead of age 6. he's on that fine line birthday wise where he has to test in at age 5. (he missed cut off by ONE day to be automatically in at age 5)

So what are some things even the mundane things, that he should know or needs to be learning by kindergarten.

I can't go by my experience because I was doing multiplication addition/subtraction and division BEFORE kindergarten. Plus I could read and write and was learning cursive. ( i had a SAHM and LOTs of siblings teaching me)

Iknow thats extremely unlikely with my DS.

so other than saying his ABC's and counting to 50 cutting a straight line with scissors and writing his name what else does he need to know before kindergarten.

im looking for the things he will be TESTED on to get early placement since he misses the auto-enroll by ONE day. so im looking for REQUIREMENTS type stuff...

dont worry, i will push him beyond what is required, however, I want to be sure i focus on the requirements that he will need to enroll at age 5 instead of having to wait a whole year because his birthday fell ONE day after cut off.

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Replies (31-40):
coupon_ash_back
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Wow, I guess i'm different than most moms.

allicat09
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM
i know in my state they need to be able to read simple words, write, spell, count, cutting, drawing shapes, buliding with blocks, imitating block designs, drawing lines.. I cant think of all of them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama2
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what my son had to know by the end of kindergarten this year... next year will be worse. but if you use this as a guide on what you could start working with him on than it should be all right for the testing:

saying his number to 100 (next years kinder will be 130)

writing his numbers to 100

saying his ABCs and knowing which sounds they all make

writing his ABCs

Writing his full name

learning to sound out words

the different letter sets that make different sounds and recognizing them (like CH and PH)

His colors and shapes

Learning about the 3D aspect of shapes and how they are different than what is on paper ( a circle on paper is a sphere when it is a ball in your hand)

Simple addition and subtraction (one big thing they want them to understand is adding is combining groups of items and subtracting is taking away- just basic principles)

I really hope this helps you get a start. I would suggest printing off some tracing papers for letters, numbers, and shapes or you can buy Pre-k books at walmart for him to work in. They help a lot and just make it really fun for him. We bought my kids a white board they could write on just because they thought it was SOOOO cool :) Good luck

sweettigeress
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I'm confused, if he's only turning 4 this month then he's right where he needs to be in being placed in kindergarten for next year at age 5. 

WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM

our school district's enrollment for school is "Age 5 by May 15th,2013" He'll be age 5 May 16th,2013. (this years kids had to be aged 5 by May 15th, 2012 in order to start kindergarten August 2012.)

Hell turn 4 this month, so when May2013 comes around for enrollment process, (which they do the first week of June2013) he will have missed the AUTOMATIC enrollment age, by ONE day, so he will have to take a test and pass in order to enroll in 2013, or he will have to wait until he is 6 before starting Kindergarten automatically.

Quoting sweettigeress:

I'm confused, if he's only turning 4 this month then he's right where he needs to be in being placed in kindergarten for next year at age 5. 

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

snb8604
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Your cutoff for Kindergarten is in May? Wow thats early. The cutoff here is Sept 1st.

sweettigeress
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

That's ridiculous. What state do you live in? Our cut off date is the beginning of September and school starts in August. 

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

our school district's enrollment for school is "Age 5 by May 15th,2013" He'll be age 5 May 16th,2013. (this years kids had to be aged 5 by May 15th, 2012 in order to start kindergarten August 2012.)

Hell turn 4 this month, so when May2013 comes around for enrollment process, (which they do the first week of June2013) he will have missed the AUTOMATIC enrollment age, by ONE day, so he will have to take a test and pass in order to enroll in 2013, or he will have to wait until he is 6 before starting Kindergarten automatically.

Quoting sweettigeress:

in love       girl on a swing            toddler girl

Wife to Josh  Mother to Saria        Mother to Kairi

tierneyschrader
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Early math skills, tying shoes, parents names, address, phone number, writing name, umm... That is all I can think of atm..I have a ds in kindergarten now, and a dd starting kindergarten next year. Sry if I repeated anyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ermka
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Basic math.. basic time telling, coins. The obvious knowing/writing his name, knowing his phone number and address. You can get flash cards with sight words that will help tremendously. Letters and their sounds.. progression (1st, 2nd, 3rd) Basic reading (3 word sentances)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Missouri.

Its just the way they do it. It used to be last day of july. but they changed that right before I started school 20 yrs ago.

Quoting sweettigeress:

That's ridiculous. What state do you live in? Our cut off date is the beginning of September and school starts in August. 

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

Quoting sweettigeress:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN