Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pediatric Cancer...you think it never happens to you

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 3 year old son C.J. has ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia). He has been going through chemo for two years. Everytime he has a fever I have to pack up and drive an hour away from my other two kids for him to be hospitalized to get IV antibiotics. Theres a good chance he will beat this. Right now his chance for survival is 80-90%. We're used to being in and out of the hospital but life is far from normal. I'm just trying to bring any type of awareness to pediatric cancer. Sometimes I feel hopeless like cancer has taken over our life but I try to stay positive :) He's doing better each day but he has his down days too. We are sitting in the hospital right now for a fever, hoping to get out of here soon. The doctors are wonderful and treat him like a regular kid and not just a patient. It brings tears to my eyes how genuine and kind the people here. 

FACT: "Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer of children in the U.S. - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined."

"Cancer in childhood occurs regularly, randomly, and spares no ethnic group, socioeconomic class, or geographic region."

Something needs to be done to further research. The same drugs have been used since the 80's. I might not able to do much to support the cause, but at least bringing about awareness seems like a good start. :)

Here's C.J. last year during the roughest part of chemo:

And here is now doing better:

by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM
My 3 year old niece has been fighting leukemia since she was 15 months. Its so sad to see a child have to go through that :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_of_one_2010
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM
He is cute, let's pray he kicks cancer's @$$
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrittniMoyer
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

This brought tears to my eyes, what a handsome son you have. No child, let alone person should have to go through this.. it is wonderful that you are speaking out and making the cause known and that there should be more research done to find a cure. My heart goes out to you and your family...you will be in my thoughts. 

<3

wilesmomma
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM
You are so strong and I thank you for sharing your child's story with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyBrooke13
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My Neice Alli and her big sister Anna . . . she was diagnosed in July 2011 with Burkits Lymphoma just a year after her daddy's diagnosys of Burkitts Lukemia . . . she is finally walking again after her hard faught battle (caught meningitis while in the hospital and it did some damage) and is still the same spirit little girl she was a year ago . . .

No child should have to endure this, but when I look at my neice I see how precious every second is and maybe thats the reason they are put through this . . . maybe these beautiful babies have to fight so hard so we can all realize there's something worth fighting for . . .

Handsome little man mama, glad he's doing better

Candace8609
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM
bless his little heart :'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kattu
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Can I ask why you have to drive an hour away? Is that the closest hospital, or the one that treats your son? I love the picture of him in the swing. He looks so happy.
Have you heard of Mary Tyler Mom? She writes a blog. She did 31 blogs about her daughter's cancer story (one a day) in September to raise awareness. You might want to check out her story. She does awesome charity work and is hilarious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raye-chan
by Raye on May. 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Your neice is beautiful =)  I pray that she beats it with flying colors and lives a strong and happy life =)

Quoting BabyBrooke13:

My Neice Alli and her big sister Anna . . . she was diagnosed in July 2011 with Burkits Lymphoma just a year after her daddy's diagnosys of Burkitts Lukemia . . . she is finally walking again after her hard faught battle (caught meningitis while in the hospital and it did some damage) and is still the same spirit little girl she was a year ago . . .

No child should have to endure this, but when I look at my neice I see how precious every second is and maybe thats the reason they are put through this . . . maybe these beautiful babies have to fight so hard so we can all realize there's something worth fighting for . . .

Handsome little man mama, glad he's doing better

raye-chan
by Raye on May. 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM

=) Your man is a cutie and a fighter =) He'll beat it :D

LiveLaughLove00
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM
He's adorable! Prayers for your handsome little man!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)