Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Home schooling? Your thoughts?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM
  • 30 Replies
I'm thinking about home schooling my son. I haven't done deep research yet, but I would like to know what other moms think about it. I want to weigh the pros and cons before I really invest a lot of time into it. My son is only 14 months, so there's no rush but dh and I don't want him to go to public school. So choices are private school, private teacher, or home schooling. We plan to travel a lot and a personal teacher would be less complicated then planning around a private school schedule. I have some personal opinions about it, like I feel he would get a chance to learn more and be able to travel more by being home schooled. I feel he'd be able to learn more subjects and extra curricular activities (such as art from me, music from his dad and best friend, and more). Its something I am seriously considering and want some outside perspective. Thanks ladies! :-) <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I've thought about it too. I hate the school systems these days, but she will be going to public school and my DH and I have decided if they try to shit her over or whatever we will pull her out.

Ruthzaad
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM
I've thought about that too, but then if he makes friends id hate to pull him away from that. So I want to decide and stick with that choice all the way through. if I do become a home school teacher, I would like to get to know other home school moms to trade ideas, do play groups, and let the kids have that social basis too (other than athletics).

Quoting sweettigeress:

I've thought about it too. I hate the school systems these days, but she will be going to public school and my DH and I have decided if they try to shit her over or whatever we will pull her out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I was homeschooled. I loved it. The advantages I see are *the child can learn at their speed. instead of being pushed ahead if they don't get something you can spend extra time working on that topic. Or a child can advance quicker instead of being bored at school.

*you are responsible for your child. My mom always said she liked knowing exactly what her children were learning.

*The kids can do the school at the time they learn best during the day. I learned better at night, so I did my school work in the late afternoon/early night. My brother learned best during the day and my sister learned best in the morning.

The disatvantages. You don't get so go see your friends everyday.

That's really the only disadvantage I can think of.

I have wonderful friends that I homeschooled with. We did a co-op once a week and had fun home shcool outings, science fairs, dances. 

We also played sports on the county teams.

Ruthzaad
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM
That's how I looked at it, a child can learn at their own speed and get more time with what they don't understand. Or even spend more time on subjects they really love. My eldest dd loves science and I would love to teacher more about it.

Quoting OBImomma:

I was homeschooled. I loved it. The advantages I see are *the child can learn at their speed. instead of being pushed ahead if they don't get something you can spend extra time working on that topic. Or a child can advance quicker instead of being bored at school.

*you are responsible for your child. My mom always said she liked knowing exactly what her children were learning.

*The kids can do the school at the time they learn best during the day. I learned better at night, so I did my school work in the late afternoon/early night. My brother learned best during the day and my sister learned best in the morning.

The disatvantages. You don't get so go see your friends everyday.

That's really the only disadvantage I can think of.

I have wonderful friends that I homeschooled with. We did a co-op once a week and had fun home shcool outings, science fairs, dances. 

We also played sports on the county teams.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Not for us. I want my kids to experience public school.

The public schools here are great ,and very diverse. I want my kids to experience that.

I think moms that homeschool can do just as good! :)

kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM
There are also charter schools, some are part of the public school system, but you have to enter a lottery to get in, and the studio to teacher ratio is usually a lot smaller and the school as a whole is smaller.
Babycakes2012
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM
I personally do not like the concept of homeschooling and dont get it at all. Why would teachers have to go thru years of school, get a college degree to teach, but any ol mom somehow is qualifide to provide an adequate education for a child. I think its a load of crap and robs a child of a NORMAL childhood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ruthzaad
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM
How do you think it robs a child of a normal childhood? As for the qualification, there are required courses and test I will have to take. I really do want your view on why and how you think its bad because I want all honesty and I want to weigh realistic pros and cons.

Quoting Babycakes2012:

I personally do not like the concept of homeschooling and dont get it at all. Why would teachers have to go thru years of school, get a college degree to teach, but any ol mom somehow is qualifide to provide an adequate education for a child. I think its a load of crap and robs a child of a NORMAL childhood.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
missbrinleysmom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm on the fence honestly. On one hand I'm not a fan of homeschooling in most situations. I recognize that it is sometimes the best fit for some people but I really think that parents need to be college educated to do it. I have a very strong opinion about parents 'teaching' thier children when they are not trained and qualified as teachers themselves. On the other hand though I do admire parents that care enough  to explore other options rather than throwing thier precious children into the puss pool that we call public education. With that said, we will not even consider public school for our children. DD is enrolled in a private school and it has been a wonderful fit for us. However, if our finacial situation changed and we had to pull her out then I might go back on my opinion about homeschool...does that make sense? 

mamaraylene
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I will say this from MY stand point based on where I live ONLY. 

I think that if it's done the correct way, homeschooling can be a positive for any child. I do not wish to homeschool my child nor do I think I am qualified for it. Here where I live, you only have to be a grade higher than what you teach and I disagree VERY MUCH. Here, homeschooling is used as a piss poor excuse for parents not to send their children to school just so they can sit on their ass. I do my best to educate my children, but I am nowhere qualified when I am compared to a teacher. Here on CM, I've seen success with many parents about homeschooling, but it is not for me. Just for my state, I think there should be more regulations in order---perhaps some kind of certification before you are allowed to do so. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)