Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Help! Really Appreciated. Kinder Lunches

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter recently got accepted to a full-day kindergarten school.

My daughter doesn't eat much to begin with, but I do make sure she has a big breakfast before school.

Yesterday was her first day, I packed her mac n' cheese, as well as cheese and crackers with a bottle of water.

When I came to pick her up, the teacher was very displeased with me and said Lauren needed more food as she is there the whole day. ( She didn't even finish the lunch I packed for her)

I of course apologized, since this is my first child in a full-day kinder program.( My son who is in grade 3 seems fine with his lunch )

Today I packed her two separate containers of grapes and carrots, as well as her fave mac n' cheese, and a bottle of water.

She again was displeased with me as she went through Lauren's bag to ensure she had adequate lunch.

I'm at a loss what to pack her, I've seen what other mothers have packed their children, and it just seems excessive, again, my daughter doesn't eat much.

Thoughts? Without breaking the bank? And am I packing too little?

EDIT : 

I'm so limited on what to pack her, since those lunchable snack boxes are not allowed in her school, as well as cakes,cookies, anything with chocolate, and most granolas. Everything packed must be "litterless" as well. No food in wrappers.

** and of course the classic PB&J and anything nut related are not allowed.

EDIT 2:

She came home, and half of her mac n cheese was left, as well as her grapes.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
VictoriousTory
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Thats cool. Some kids dont like sandwhiches! Maybe the teacher just wants what SHE considers a "complete" meal. Or more snacks for after playtime and such. Pack her some spaghetti or something! Or maybe yogurt? I dunno what your kid likes.. just throwin some ideas out there :) 

Quoting cmeeso:

She's not much of a sandwich eater, she was in a half-day program and those were never eaten.

I was just used to her half-day program since they said not to pack too big of a lunch.

Granola's, chocolate or anything of that sort are not allowed in the school, which is why I've stuck to cheese,crackers,fruit, and veggies, I will look for other options though.

Quoting VictoriousTory:

Maybe she is seeing those things as sides and not a "complete" lunch? Throw in a half a sandwhich or something... or get some little packs of goldfish or granola or something... so she has stuff for "snacks". I dunno? Good luck!!! 

MommaOfThree789
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I love our thermos. Just heat everything up hot in the morning and throw it in there. Once for half day kinder I cooked chicken nuggets and then made them a tad hotter in the microwave and threw them in the thermos and packed it with ketchup packes from McDonalds and she loved it! lol. You can really get creative with those things.

Quoting cmeeso:

Thank you for your response.

It is definitely hard packing a lunch when there are so much limitations. My DD packs everything in her lunch box as well.

I wish I could pack tuna and anything peanut butter as well. But there are allergies in her class that specifically say no tuna, and anything with nuts its just a big no-no in the school.

A thermos though, would probably be the smartest solution for me, I can pack the "asian meals" she loves at home.

Quoting MommaOfThree789:

I'm at a loss as well. My DD is starting full day in the fall and her school gave me a list of what was allowed and what wasn't. She has to have 100% juice, which isn't an issue. They are not allowed to have lunchables and everything has to be packed in a brown bag. My DD is also picky and normally grazes through out the day. So in her LUNCHBOX (I'm letting her take a lunch box as I think throwing a brown bag away everyday is wasteful) my ideas are:

Ravilolis in a thermos, grapes, gummy snacks (taken out of the package and put in a different container), grackers and a capri sun.

Half a tuna sandwich, soup in a thermos, crackers, peanut butter cookies (since no chocolate), fruit and a capri sun.

Whole chicken salad sandwich, grapes, carrots, crackers and capri sun.

We got her a thermos so the ideas are endless. She can take left overs from dinner with other sides. So, maybe invest in one of those.

Quoting cmeeso:

:)

If I could get my daughter to eat sandwiches, I would definitely add that to the above list of what I already pack her. But she is a picky eater, and some of the food she does consume in large amounts are not school lunch friendly.

I'm so limited on what to pack her, since those lunchable snack boxes are not allowed in her school, as well as cakes,cookies, anything with chocolate, and most granolas. Everything packed must be "litterless" as well. No food in wrappers.

Quoting 2lilcowoboys:

Im with you op. my kids are in prek and kinder. they don't eat much either. Our prek teachers will heat up lunches so he gets a
mac n cheese or ravioli or nuggent lunchable
a little single serve pringles
For snack its a fruit and capri sun

kinder the don't heat up so if the school isn't having baked potatoes or pizza he gets
One of the lunchables w a snack and drink in the box and a bag of chips for snack his teacher will heat up so he gets a bag of popcorn and a gatorade

my kids do not like cold type foods or sandwiches so its really hard because i can't afford to drive to school to bring him a hot lunch every day

CandiceDanielle
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM
And if your daughter likes lunchables, why can't you buy them and just send the contents in a different container?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlwaysKISA
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that's so dumb! If she isn't gonna eat it, why are they trying to force you to pack it. I think you are fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmeeso
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM

LOL Thanks, yes, I think I will invest in a thermos as one mom suggested. That way I can pack last nights dins, with what I pack her already. Hopefully it will be "enough".

Some of the lunches the other moms pack their children are just things my daughter won't eat like boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and such.

Quoting VictoriousTory:

Thats cool. Some kids dont like sandwhiches! Maybe the teacher just wants what SHE considers a "complete" meal. Or more snacks for after playtime and such. Pack her some spaghetti or something! Or maybe yogurt? I dunno what your kid likes.. just throwin some ideas out there :) 

Quoting cmeeso:

She's not much of a sandwich eater, she was in a half-day program and those were never eaten.

I was just used to her half-day program since they said not to pack too big of a lunch.

Granola's, chocolate or anything of that sort are not allowed in the school, which is why I've stuck to cheese,crackers,fruit, and veggies, I will look for other options though.

Quoting VictoriousTory:

Maybe she is seeing those things as sides and not a "complete" lunch? Throw in a half a sandwhich or something... or get some little packs of goldfish or granola or something... so she has stuff for "snacks". I dunno? Good luck!!! 

happymommy1105
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Sandwhich, fruit, chips, treat...seems like a fine lunch to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmeeso
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM

That's what my husband said,

But I don't want to seem like a 'bad mom'. So I'll be succumbing to packing her more food, even though I know a large portion of it will be coming back home *Sigh*

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

I think that's so dumb! If she isn't gonna eat it, why are they trying to force you to pack it. I think you are fine.

cmeeso
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I think its the processed food that they don't like children bringing in.

Quoting CandiceDanielle:

And if your daughter likes lunchables, why can't you buy them and just send the contents in a different container?

CandiceDanielle
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Wow...I've never heard of such a picky school!

Quoting cmeeso:

Quoting CandiceDanielle:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmeeso
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I know, her previous school was not too finicky.

I guess I'll just add in, left over dins in a thermos.

Quoting CandiceDanielle:

Wow...I've never heard of such a picky school!

Quoting cmeeso:

Quoting CandiceDanielle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN