Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

UPDATE! Info needed: Given pain meds to fall asleep during contractions?

Posted by   + Show Post

The baby is here! She was born at 7:26 pm and weighs 8 lbs 3 oz. She is 20 inches and absolutely beautiful

My sister is 38 weeks. She has
beenhaving contractions every day for the past week. They are between 4 and 2 minutes apart. Her midwife gave her pain pills to stop the pain on the first day. They were so bad she couldn't move. They made her really our there and put her to sleep for hours. She stopped raking them because she didn't like the way they were making her feel. Last night, she lost her mucous plug and today she was having contractions that are 2 minutes apart. Her midwife wanted to admit her to the hospital to put her on am iv drip with some kind of medication to put her to sleep. This seems weird to me. My doctor never once suggested anything like that when I was pregnant. Is this some new thing or is it just weird?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
VictoriousTory
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Sounds kinda like ambien but thats not used for pain.... Weird. I hope she has a good delivery and the baby is gonna be beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Quoting WhenInRome:

:( that's so awful. I'm sorry for your loss and especially for what the doctor said to you. How unprofessional!
She never told me the name of the pills she was prescribed. The only thing she has told me about them was that they were giving them to her to make her sleep during the contractions. You should have heard the stuff she was saying after she took one. Lol. It was ridiculous! The iv is supposed to do the same thing. They want to give it to her and have her sleep there for four hours. Strange

Quoting VictoriousTory:

What kind of pain killers are they giving her?

Not really on the topic but I was pregnant about 9 years ago... and I was 16 weeks along but I started having contractions and back labor... I went into the emergency room and they never moved me to maternity or anything.... they brought an ultrasound machine in to check me but hours went by and no one came and checked on me... they hooked me up to a bag a morphine and just let me sit there... finally a nurse took me up to maternity and did an ultrasound and told me my baby was fine and there was still a hearbeat but  then took me back to the room I was in and 20 minutes later I lost the baby... It was horrible. And then the Dr told me to pray to Jesus to make me feel better... I told him I didn't believe in Jesus and he told me that that was the reason it happened to me. 0_0. Very sad. 

Quoting WhenInRome:

She's not in active labor. She's only dialated 2 cm. It just seems so weird to my mom and I that they want to pump her up with so many unneeded pain killers.

WhenInRome
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Thank you :)

Quoting VictoriousTory:

Sounds kinda like ambien but thats not used for pain.... Weird. I hope she has a good delivery and the baby is gonna be beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Quoting WhenInRome:

:( that's so awful. I'm sorry for your loss and especially for what the doctor said to you. How unprofessional!

She never told me the name of the pills she was prescribed. The only thing she has told me about them was that they were giving them to her to make her sleep during the contractions. You should have heard the stuff she was saying after she took one. Lol. It was ridiculous! The iv is supposed to do the same thing. They want to give it to her and have her sleep there for four hours. Strange

Quoting VictoriousTory:

Not really on the topic but I was pregnant about 9 years ago... and I was 16 weeks along but I started having contractions and back labor... I went into the emergency room and they never moved me to maternity or anything.... they brought an ultrasound machine in to check me but hours went by and no one came and checked on me... they hooked me up to a bag a morphine and just let me sit there... finally a nurse took me up to maternity and did an ultrasound and told me my baby was fine and there was still a hearbeat but  then took me back to the room I was in and 20 minutes later I lost the baby... It was horrible. And then the Dr told me to pray to Jesus to make me feel better... I told him I didn't believe in Jesus and he told me that that was the reason it happened to me. 0_0. Very sad. 

Quoting WhenInRome:

She's not in active labor. She's only dialated 2 cm. It just seems so weird to my mom and I that they want to pump her up with so many unneeded pain killers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM
I slept during labors. Its something that your body does naturwlly to get strength
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SapphireMomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM
When I was induced and having crazy bh (seriously contractions every minute but zero cervical change) they gave me staydol and ambien. I was drunk lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WhenInRome
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Maybe that's what they're giving her because she sounds drunk! Lol

Quoting SapphireMomma:

When I was induced and having crazy bh (seriously contractions every minute but zero cervical change) they gave me staydol and ambien. I was drunk lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SapphireMomma
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:29 PM
The nurse had half of the medicine pushed through my iv and my words were slurring. Dh said I sounded like I was a drunk. I slept like a baby for a few hours though. Seriously. I wish I would get a buzz like that. They were amazing drugs haha.

Quoting WhenInRome:

Maybe that's what they're giving her because she sounds drunk! Lol

Quoting SapphireMomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkmommy0406
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM
I'm sorry the doctor was so unprofessional to you!! Most hospitals have standing orders to not transfer to L&D unless the fetus is 22 weeks. That is the point it's considered "viable". the nurse in me understands why but the mom in me doesn't. hopefully that helps clear up some of the confusion. Again I'm sorry you had to go through it

Quoting VictoriousTory:

Quoting WhenInRome:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tarakay0417
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

That is just weird. I have never heard of a doctor or a midwife that did that. If she doesn't want the meds she has the right to say no to them.

VictoriousTory
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

So they really couldn't do anything? Is that why no one did anything? I mean I could understand that... But... I mean at least come in and tell me what is going on!!

Quoting mkmommy0406:

I'm sorry the doctor was so unprofessional to you!! Most hospitals have standing orders to not transfer to L&D unless the fetus is 22 weeks. That is the point it's considered "viable". the nurse in me understands why but the mom in me doesn't. hopefully that helps clear up some of the confusion. Again I'm sorry you had to go through it

Quoting VictoriousTory:

Quoting WhenInRome:

mkmommy0406
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Pretty much.  I don't work in a hospital, I'm in a pediatric clinic, so I'm not sure how they go about explaining it.  But yes, you deserved to be told SOMETHING.  I would have wanted to know as well.

Quoting VictoriousTory:

So they really couldn't do anything? Is that why no one did anything? I mean I could understand that... But... I mean at least come in and tell me what is going on!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)