Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

UPDATE! Info needed: Given pain meds to fall asleep during contractions?

Posted by   + Show Post

The baby is here! She was born at 7:26 pm and weighs 8 lbs 3 oz. She is 20 inches and absolutely beautiful

My sister is 38 weeks. She has
beenhaving contractions every day for the past week. They are between 4 and 2 minutes apart. Her midwife gave her pain pills to stop the pain on the first day. They were so bad she couldn't move. They made her really our there and put her to sleep for hours. She stopped raking them because she didn't like the way they were making her feel. Last night, she lost her mucous plug and today she was having contractions that are 2 minutes apart. Her midwife wanted to admit her to the hospital to put her on am iv drip with some kind of medication to put her to sleep. This seems weird to me. My doctor never once suggested anything like that when I was pregnant. Is this some new thing or is it just weird?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Replies (21-29):
moosesmom
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I was given something to help me rest in between contractions. but sleeping through them?? Odd. Eh, maybe there are new drugs out there.

keriley1
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

When I had my first daughter they gave me some pain meds that made me super tired, I was falling asleep between contractions but they didn't do it so I would fall asleep. Thats just what they did to me cuz I had never had anything more then excedrin.

kyuteangl88
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM
I got a shot of morphine when I was in the beginning stages of labor, they figured that if I got to relax and sleep my body would do what it needed. It worked, I slept through my whole labor, except the 20 minutes from home to delivery. But I don't know why they would be doing that at 38 weeks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by Shiree on May. 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM

i slept through part of my labor.. i think it helps because you arnt tensing up with contractions.

lilmomma22487
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I had my daughter 8 years ago and when I went into labor they hooked me up at the hospital to Stadol (sp?) and it made me sleep off and on throughout the entire 23 hours of labor. I have very little memory of the labor just remember having bad back pain. I vaguely remember trying to push but the meds had me so out of it that I actually had issues sitting up to push and my mom had to help me hold my legs back. I DID NOT do that again with my other two kids. I really regret it. I know other women on cm who had similar experiences with the Stadol.

saltyalley1227
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM
They gave me an ambien when I was in labor to help me sleep because I was in labor so long. It helped a LOT. It didn't take pain a way just helped me sleep for a few hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annismom10
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I had my anni 8 wks early ( I had been in the hospital 3 wks @ that time, with preeclampsia) & I was given stadol (every 15 min if requested) to keep me comfortable til they could do a epidural. But I had a foley ball & a buttload of pitocin, so I appreciated being kept comfortable while they were forcing my baby out. My thing is, the docs/nurses know what theyre doing, if they say the painkillers are ok they are. Bring on the drip! Can dh have one too? Lmao
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
t1gger143
by Katie on May. 3, 2012 at 3:22 PM
I had pre-e so I was given tranquilizers. I slept through most of my labor.
WhenInRome
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Update: she's in real labor now. As of 30 minutes ago she is 7 cm. Baby Isabela will be here by dinner time at the latest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)