Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

anyone have a stigmatism and wear contacts?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM
  • 25 Replies

Ive been wearing glasses for a long time, and I really hate it. I also have a pretty bad stigmatism in both eyes. I heard that makes contacts pretty uncomfortable. Im trying to decide if its worth it. Anyone wear them?? 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sbell719
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM
I wore contacts with an astigmatism for many years. There are contacts made specifically for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_grizz
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM
I do! I have an awful stigmatism, but I'm far sighted so glasses make me look bug eyed and I hate it. They always give me toric lenses. Just a warning... They are NOT cheap. It usually costs me $60 a box for 6. That's $120 for a six month supply. I have no problems with comfort, although if they get dry they won't realign themselves and I'm blind for a minute lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ash1ey01
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I know they make them for that, but even the Dr told me they still can be uncomfortable. You never had any problems? I tried to wear them about 7 yrs ago and couldnt. It constantly felt like it was scraping against my eyelid. Hoping theyve come a long way in 7 yrs. 

Quoting sbell719:

I wore contacts with an astigmatism for many years. There are contacts made specifically for them.

Ash1ey01
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Thanks for the info! They mentioned 2 types they would try on me. One was like air optics I think?? And the other one was way expensive, thats prob what youre talking about. I just dont want to pay all this $ and not wear them ya know? 

Quoting mama_grizz:

I do! I have an awful stigmatism, but I'm far sighted so glasses make me look bug eyed and I hate it. They always give me toric lenses. Just a warning... They are NOT cheap. It usually costs me $60 a box for 6. That's $120 for a six month supply. I have no problems with comfort, although if they get dry they won't realign themselves and I'm blind for a minute lol.

sbell719
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM
I never had any problems. The only time they were uncomfortable was if they were dry, but that is with all contacts. I had Lasik about a year ago and would highly recommend it.

Quoting Ash1ey01:

I know they make them for that, but even the Dr told me they still can be uncomfortable. You never had any problems? I tried to wear them about 7 yrs ago and couldnt. It constantly felt like it was scraping against my eyelid. Hoping theyve come a long way in 7 yrs. 

Quoting sbell719:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charliesmommy11
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM
I have been wearing contacts for about 10 years and I have noticed some improvement in the quality of the lenses for people with astigmatisims. Mine are pretty severe as well as I swear I would be legally blind without contacts lol. The only time I ever notice discomfort is in the morning if I didn't take them out the night before , if its a dry windy day , smokey room , or if my allergies are acting up. It feels like sand or an eye lash in your eye with lots of burning stinging and watering. But other than that its pretty good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelbabies11
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM
I have astigmatisim and could not wear contacts. I've tried like 3 different kinds, even the kind that was made for the astigmatisim and they were so uncomfortable. But everyone is different. You might be able to wear contacts though. Just try them out and see. That's what I did...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gealach
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM
I do. I tried the torric lenses and they hurt. I wear the acuvue oaysys 2s
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommieSDW
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I wear Acuve toric for astigmatism, they are very comfortable.

ReD.RoCkEr
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Acuvue Oasys for Astigmatism are the best lenses I've ever had and I have the most sensitive eyes of anyone I know. I can actually sleep in them sometimes too and I feel fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)