Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Delaying Puberty?!

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM
  • 43 Replies
I just saw on the news that a woman has been giving her daughter a shot since 7 years old to push off puberty. Her daughter is now 9. Is this something you would consider or do? I don't know if it's the same for boys, they didn't mention that.

I don't know how I feel about this at the moment but am interested in your answers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shermy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Is there a medical reason?  Does she have a hormone imbalance or other health issues?

SpurgeonMom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I read about it hell no. all its supposed to do it delay puberty. Girls are starting in 1st grade. My daughter is 7 and showing signs I started when I was 8. No I wouldn't give her a shot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM
They didn't mention any. Her mom said she felt her daughter was too young to start puberty. The child gets a shot monthly and can cost thousands of dollars each year but their insurance covers them.

Quoting Shermy:

Is there a medical reason?  Does she have a hormone imbalance or other health issues?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misslady80013
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Yeah, that's right, maybe I should change the title. Wow! I didn't start until much later.

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

I read about it hell no. all its supposed to do it delay puberty. Girls are starting in 1st grade. My daughter is 7 and showing signs I started when I was 8. No I wouldn't give her a shot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Thats abuse, imo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpurgeonMom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
It was hard for me because I was uneduated, I had the talk with my oldest so she is prepared at any time. That's all girls need is to be educated not monthly shots

Quoting misslady80013:

Yeah, that's right, maybe I should change the title. Wow! I didn't start until much later.

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nebcutie
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 11 and as much as she would like it delayed at this time no i would not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends. If there's a reason, then yes. I know in some cases of disabled children, going through puberty can exacerbate symptoms or increase the level of care to a point the child would no longer be able to live at home. In those cases, yes I'd do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSlingshot
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, no. That's a recipe for disaster. I don't believe in messing with hormones at that age at all (barring major medical issues).

misslady80013
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM
I am on the fence. On one hand, I do think that's find of young and pedophiles is already a problem. More very young girls with more mature bodies may make this problem worse. You know what I mean?

I also understand the "Let nature take it's course." side. I would need more info. I have a son though.

Quoting xo.MommyW.xo:

Thats abuse, imo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)