Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Pregnancy announcement and family?

So I never got the super excited family when I announced I was pregnant, mostly it was "oh, you're having a baby....thats nice."

How did your family take it? 

by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Replies (31-40):
MrsApple
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Our family was overjoyed.We announced it to my parents/sisters,and a few of my aunts by sitting them down and popping the ultrasound in the dvd player.Took them all a few minutes before they realized that they were looking at an u/s of MY baby,and then the tears started,lol.

Mrs.Brugger
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM

With my son, my mom tried to be disappointed. I was 18 and had been dating his father for 3 weeks. But after the confirmation dr appt the next day, she took me to babies r us to find baby his first toy and teddy.lol My dad was just concerned about money, my stepmom was a little upset.

DS's fathers parents however, and that entire side of the family, was estatic. When we first told his parents we were too scared and weren't really showing any emotion when we told them. They kept waiting for us to smile or cry or something and finally they said, "is this a good thing?" and we both said, "i think so" so then they jumped up and down and hugged us and that night they had to go grocery shopping so while they were out they got us one of those bath sets with the soaps and q-tips and lotions and diaper cream.

With this baby, my husbands parents were estatic. My stepmom was like, 'I KNEW IT WOULD BE SOON!' andwas very happy and excited, my dad seemed excited (it takes him awhile...), and my mom was mad bc I live in TX and they're all in NY and she was like, "oh. well how am I going to have a bond with this baby like I have with max?" ...really. But now she's come around also and loves belly pics and shopping, and she's flying down around my due date. 

Mrs.Brugger
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM

oh, as for my dad. he shows his excitement and support in other ways. like he was in AFGH when DS was born and my stepmom sent him like a hundred pictures of DS the night he was born via email, and the next day my dad received them...then forwarded them to all his army buddies, no matter where they were. my sons pictures were all over the country as well as overseas by the time he was 12 hours old. haha

With this baby, my baby shower was coming up and my dad went with stepmom shopping for gifts...he picked out sunglasses with a strap to go around her head, "She's gonna need these in Texas. Look-she won't be able to rip them off and blind herself." lol and then he said, "every girl needs a patriotic outfit" and picked out a red, white, and blue dress for her. He doesn't talk about babies much, but I think he's excited.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

With my son, my mom tried to be disappointed. I was 18 and had been dating his father for 3 weeks. But after the confirmation dr appt the next day, she took me to babies r us to find baby his first toy and teddy.lol My dad was just concerned about money, my stepmom was a little upset.

DS's fathers parents however, and that entire side of the family, was estatic. When we first told his parents we were too scared and weren't really showing any emotion when we told them. They kept waiting for us to smile or cry or something and finally they said, "is this a good thing?" and we both said, "i think so" so then they jumped up and down and hugged us and that night they had to go grocery shopping so while they were out they got us one of those bath sets with the soaps and q-tips and lotions and diaper cream.

With this baby, my husbands parents were estatic. My stepmom was like, 'I KNEW IT WOULD BE SOON!' andwas very happy and excited, my dad seemed excited (it takes him awhile...), and my mom was mad bc I live in TX and they're all in NY and she was like, "oh. well how am I going to have a bond with this baby like I have with max?" ...really. But now she's come around also and loves belly pics and shopping, and she's flying down around my due date. 

Hutersmom
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

they were excited for my mom and step day we took them to tavern on the green and gave them each a gift and at first they were confused as to what they were holding and them realized that they were onesies lol they were almost in tears lol

army_wifey_06
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM
My family has always been super excited when we tell them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The first was a disaster. I was 17, so it was expected. The second, I was 22-23 and she was totally planned. My mom guessed as soon as I said "we need to talk". My dad said it was a blessing (not a church guy by any means, so it really meant a lot). The third and FINAL time, it was again a surprise, so the average response was "Sooo... is this IT with having kids yet???"

Fortunately, DH got snipped, so I can happily answer that question with a YES!

BeAmour
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM
My mom was less than thrilled but accepted it and became happy.

His mom...her exact words, "why the Hell did you go and do that?"

We were married!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meg2011425
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Mine were the same way. I'm the middle child. Was the first to get married and have my son. I have found other friends that are my family. My moms gotten better but others in my family suck. Btw good luck TTC.

Quoting GirlWSlingshot:

Everyone was very upset. They were not pleased. I was married and had a good career but was very young. And I just recently stopped getting lectures from them on how I really shouldn't have another. Nevermind the fact that I'm in a loving marriage, have stable income, am already a SAHM and have awesome insurance. Meh. My family can be extremely judgemental. But that's why I have you guys and my friends IRL (although almost no one knows we're TTC), because I know that if we ever actually get pregnant, I will have plenty of people who will be thrilled with me.

I think the lectures only stopped because they all think I got an IUD or something since we haven't gotten knocked up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM

My mom was happy. DH's side was all like "oh will you be able to afford it". I don't care how the family takes it. lol! 

New-Mamma
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

The first time i was pregnant most of my family seemed very excited for me at my exhusband. I had a misscarriage and we went our seprate ways. Now I am with someone else and am very happy. I took the at home pregnancy test and then called my mom when it came back possitive. She reminded me that i had options and that maybe i should have an abortion.... I was so appalled by this that i havent talk to her since and I have been reserved in telling the rest of my family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)