Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Public assistance

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:53 AM
  • 51 Replies
3 moms liked this
My favorite part of the day is when people board the Public Assistance is only free food and help paying for housing train! Did you ever think about other things that are public assistance? You know...programs provided to us by the government at little or no cost to us?!
Here's a few: fire and police departments, public schools, highways, public libraries...etc
I am sure you get the point. Not everyone has had it great and had opportunities like others..the programs are there to use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:35 AM
6 moms liked this

The things you listed are not public assistance.  They are considered public services.  The assistance programs help with food, housing, medical and in some cases child care for those who need it.

mrs.miller89
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I have never though about it that way.

But thinking about it that way leads me to another thought. The areas where more people use the food stamps, Medicaid, etc. side of PA seem to always have worse libraries and schools, less funding for fire and police depts, etc.

It's like a never ending cycle. Those areas need better schools and libraries so the people can eventually get better jobs and not need to use food stamps and housing assistance, but if the funding is taken away from those programs they can't survive!

CafeMom Tickers
mrs.miller89
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:38 AM

This is a good point too. You don't have to qualify for public schooling or for the fire department to come out if your house is on fire. They're always there while the others are supposed to be short-term.

Quoting frndlyfn:

The things you listed are not public assistance.  They are considered public services.  The assistance programs help with food, housing, medical and in some cases child care for those who need it.

CafeMom Tickers
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Thanks to some levies being passed by voters, our library branches are able to offer Job assistance and other programs to the public to help educate and/or entertain.  Some areas in the US have to pay fees for fire department or emergency services.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

This is a good point too. You don't have to qualify for public schooling or for the fire department to come out if your house is on fire. They're always there while the others are supposed to be short-term.

Quoting frndlyfn:

mrs.miller89
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Well, I know a ride in an ambulance is not free. And neither is one in a police car. ;) But I haven't heard of fees for service from the fire department.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Thanks to some levies being passed by voters, our library branches are able to offer Job assistance and other programs to the public to help educate and/or entertain.  Some areas in the US have to pay fees for fire department or emergency services.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Quoting frndlyfn:

CafeMom Tickers
jaehawk
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:43 AM
That may be how you see it but my professors put them all together under one label of PA...then broke them down into various categories such as services that anyone can recieve without having to qualify...ones that are means tested such as TANF (temporary assistance to needy families/ welfare)...and that kind of thing.
I am not trying to start a big issue here but its very sad how fast people "flip out" on people who need help. You cannot abuse the system..in KS you can only recieve cash assistance for 4 years now then they kick you off...not every state has the same rules regarding PA though...I am glad we have these programs/services...might be me that needs it sometime even though we work hard and go to school to provide for our son.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaehawk
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Also federal pell grants are PA that people seem to not think about either...free money from the government that anyone that qualifies can HAVE and you NEVER have to pay it back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:46 AM
We have to pay $25 a year to our fire department and ambulance association, so those aren't exactly free.

Those programs aren't public assistance, they are public services. We pay for them in our taxes. The library is free .. if you live in my town because my taxes help cover costs. My taxes pay for the police department. So no, those aren't PA.
Livinwith3boys
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:56 AM
1 mom liked this

You have some stupid professors....Fire departments, police, etc...are not PA...they are services available to every single person in the district...and the people that live there, pay for them!!! That is why you vote on specific tax increases for things like schools, police, etc...and why every town/county/etc has a different tax percentage...that is based off of sales tax, not federal income tax going to some fat bitch that wants to pop out kids and not support them financially.

Quoting jaehawk:

That may be how you see it but my professors put them all together under one label of PA...then broke them down into various categories such as services that anyone can recieve without having to qualify...ones that are means tested such as TANF (temporary assistance to needy families/ welfare)...and that kind of thing.
I am not trying to start a big issue here but its very sad how fast people "flip out" on people who need help. You cannot abuse the system..in KS you can only recieve cash assistance for 4 years now then they kick you off...not every state has the same rules regarding PA though...I am glad we have these programs/services...might be me that needs it sometime even though we work hard and go to school to provide for our son.

Quoting frndlyfn:

blessedmommiie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Its kinda funny how ppl get ssooo upset about PA and stereotype ppl as being lazy. It clearly shows how upset you r that there are taxes taken out of your check.WAKE UP CALL!!! THERE IS NOTHING U CAN DO ABOUT IT, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE TAX DEDUCTIONS AND IN FACT THERE MIGHT BE MORE TAKING OUT IN THE FUTURE WITH THIS LOW ECONOMY.. UR BEST BET IT TOO GET OVER IT, U DONT WANT TO DIE A BITTER OLD LADY OVER SOMETHING THATS ALWAYS GUNNA BE THERE...

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

You have some stupid professors....Fire departments, police, etc...are not PA...they are services available to every single person in the district...and the people that live there, pay for them!!! That is why you vote on specific tax increases for things like schools, police, etc...and why every town/county/etc has a different tax percentage...that is based off of sales tax, not federal income tax going to some fat bitch that wants to pop out kids and not support them financially.

Quoting jaehawk:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)