Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I don't know what to do

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM
  • 13 Replies

Our house is big so we got a roomate my bestfriend for 10 years and then her boyfriend moved in well my son  got a hold of her boyfriends video game and scratched it so bad it doesn't work my son is only 18 months so he didn't purposely do this. Of course since I am a stay at home mom I usually know what my son gets into 99% of the time other then when I am doing dishes or something if my son's quit its usually a good thing my son knows how to open my xbox and take out the dvds and games and whatever he also knows how to put them back so I know it is possible that he could have done this. My bestfriend confronted to me that you know JJ broke the game and I said that I would replace it but her boyfriends going to have to wait because I can't just shit out 60 dollars on a video game specially since we just spit out our rent and electric bill car insurance and our phones their all due at the same time. I have this firm thought and explained to her that you can't leave stuff where my son can reach it specially if it's important to you. I go to the bathroom like a normal being, I do dishes, I go into the laundry room blah blah blah so clearly their are times of the day that I let my be in a room by himself. My son knows that if you take out a dvd and put it back it will autostart playing the show thats why he does that. I told my husband what happened and he said I shouldn't have told them I would replace it since it could have gotten scratched on their doing like if they put it down somewhere dropped it blah blah. So now I am just stumped because my husbands upset with me because he loves video games and we havn't been able to afford that one yet and now we have to buy it for someone else. I just don't know what to do in this situation.

**** Let me also mention that they constantly leave things out and then get mad when he touches it so they know how touchy my son is once no one is looking.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sw33tSom3thing
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I think you are doing the right thing. I know what it is like to have the kiddie ruin something that isnt ours.

Yes, they shouldnt put things where your son can get it, but if they do not have children of their own- some people just dont think about it. I would suggest getting them the game ( so there is no bad blood) and just tell them if it happens again...you cant replace it. Ask them to be aware of where they put things so that this doesnt happen again. If you have been friends that long I would hope they wouldnt lie about it being caused by your son. PLUS- I highly doubt a man( your friends BF) would put the disc down where it would get scratched till it was unplayable...those things are like gold.

Sorry your hubby is kinda pissed cause he would want the game, but that is just how the cookie crumbles. It is not like you can afford to buy it now...its just the right thing to do if they had something destroyed by your child. It just goes with the territory. Just like if they ruined something in the home they would be expected to replace it. If you guys need them to split the bills- this is the safest and smartest thing to do to keep peace.

MommyRJ
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd replace it. But make it VERY clear that from now on they need to keep belongings out of reach. Because like you said, you have things to do and can't always watch him. Like the rest of us..

That'd be my rule. "we will replace this game but from now on, it's up or I don't want to hear about it" you cant be responsible for other ADULTS leaving their valuable shit laying around
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeverlyKaye9878
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I agree with you and these ladies. You're doing the right thing. Make it right this time and let them know that THEY are responsible for THEIR belongings. I'm sure they have their own room. Tell them to buy a lock for the door.

As far as your hubby, he's just gonna have to suck it up and drive on. I know it's frustrating for him, but it comes with the territory. He shouldn't be mad at you for trying to make things right.
ProudMommy51006
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
This

Quoting BeverlyKaye9878:

I agree with you and these ladies. You're doing the right thing. Make it right this time and let them know that THEY are responsible for THEIR belongings. I'm sure they have their own room. Tell them to buy a lock for the door.

As far as your hubby, he's just gonna have to suck it up and drive on. I know it's frustrating for him, but it comes with the territory. He shouldn't be mad at you for trying to make things right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM
This

Quoting MommyRJ:

I'd replace it. But make it VERY clear that from now on they need to keep belongings out of reach. Because like you said, you have things to do and can't always watch him. Like the rest of us..

That'd be my rule. "we will replace this game but from now on, it's up or I don't want to hear about it" you cant be responsible for other ADULTS leaving their valuable shit laying around

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSlingshot
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
You've gotten some excellent advice. I agree with all of it and hope that things settle down with both your friend and your husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JJSMOMMYxox
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

He does trust me I've found this game all over the house. I don't think he has a case for it.

Quoting Sw33tSom3thing:

I think you are doing the right thing. I know what it is like to have the kiddie ruin something that isnt ours.

Yes, they shouldnt put things where your son can get it, but if they do not have children of their own- some people just dont think about it. I would suggest getting them the game ( so there is no bad blood) and just tell them if it happens again...you cant replace it. Ask them to be aware of where they put things so that this doesnt happen again. If you have been friends that long I would hope they wouldnt lie about it being caused by your son. PLUS- I highly doubt a man( your friends BF) would put the disc down where it would get scratched till it was unplayable...those things are like gold.

Sorry your hubby is kinda pissed cause he would want the game, but that is just how the cookie crumbles. It is not like you can afford to buy it now...its just the right thing to do if they had something destroyed by your child. It just goes with the territory. Just like if they ruined something in the home they would be expected to replace it. If you guys need them to split the bills- this is the safest and smartest thing to do to keep peace.

mommy091011
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

tell them " I spoke to my husband and we both agree that we cant replace your things everytime we ASUME that our LO ruined it. you  need to take responisibility and put your things out of reach of an 18 month old. you agreed to live her knowing i have a LO and so you need to be responsible for your own things. I am not responsible for picking up you items and puting them out of reach on a daily basis on top of getting all the other chores done too. YOU TWO are NOT our children and so we are not going to take care or your stuff and replace an item everytime our LO gets ahold of something he isnt supposed to." remember to end it with what you started it with like i did here. i had a roommate for a while too. she doesnt live with us anymore but it has nothing to do with anything like this.- i hope this helps =]

lenoxclan
by Lenox on May. 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM

personally...Unless it was in their actual room, I wouldnt replace it..

If they left it in the living room or another room that every one frequents, then they should have been responsible enough to put it up...

Between2Rams
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM
You should go to an EB or Gamestopand buy the game used. Depending on how new it is it may only be 5 or 10 dollars cheaper but every bit helps and the game is still guaranteed. You also might make the suggestion that in the future when they buy new games they shell out the extra couple ofbucks for the replacement warranty and just keep the receipt in the case.
A little OT bt they wont let your hubs borrow the game?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)