Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adopting and Fostering...PIOG

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, my husband and I have been talking for almost 5 years about becoming foster parents and possibly adopting through this if the right situation arises.. I am calling tomorrow to get set up for the classes and stuff, but I am excited to be starting this journey!! I guess I am also a little hesitant though too, just because it is something new and I am not sure what all is going to happen and what I need to do to prepare for the home study and everything...

Have you done it or know anyone who has? Any advice or stories to tell?

I appreciate any responses...Thanks!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Courtney on May. 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
No advice, but I wanted to wish you good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My family has been fostering for 50 years among all the generations. I fostered a little girl for 2 1/2 years before her parents got her back. 

cowboysgirl2810
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk about the parents side so much, but I know the kids side! I became a "fostered youth" at 8. And didn't make it out of the system until I was 18 and graduated! Anyone willing to take the steps to help a child have a home and family they otherwise may not is A+++ in my books!

I do know the classes you take, *should* actually answer A LOT of your questions. They *should* have plenty of time to ask any additional questions. They WANT you to be successful and prepared. They NEED you to pass the inspections and whatnot, the foster system is so over populated!

Goodluck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christiansmom44
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:51 PM
This. Except I was in there from 10 to 18.

The system needs more parents that actually care about the kids! Good luck!

Quoting cowboysgirl2810:

Idk about the parents side so much, but I know the kids side! I became a "fostered youth" at 8. And didn't make it out of the system until I was 18 and graduated! Anyone willing to take the steps to help a child have a home and family they otherwise may not is A+++ in my books!

I do know the classes you take, *should* actually answer A LOT of your questions. They *should* have plenty of time to ask any additional questions. They WANT you to be successful and prepared. They NEED you to pass the inspections and whatnot, the foster system is so over populated!

Goodluck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my_babies_n_me
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Thank you all!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my_babies_n_me
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Thanks!!

Quoting Courtney610:

No advice, but I wanted to wish you good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my_babies_n_me
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
You didn't foster after the one little girl? Just wondered if it was too hard or emotional...

Quoting ambermarie2006:

My family has been fostering for 50 years among all the generations. I fostered a little girl for 2 1/2 years before her parents got her back. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM
We are a military family now and they don't make it easy to foster :(

Quoting my_babies_n_me:

You didn't foster after the one little girl? Just wondered if it was too hard or emotional...

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my_babies_n_me
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get out if the system before then.. I had some cousins go into foster care and get adopted and then I also have an aunt and uncle who have been fostering for around 5 years now and adopted 4 kids in that time, all siblings. I just feel pulled towards this for some reason. I hope I am able to help some families and children. And possibly adopt in the future. I'm definitely looking forward to being able to ask questions, because I've got a ton, lol.

Thank you!!

Quoting cowboysgirl2810:

Goodluck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my_babies_n_me
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Oh..that's sad. You would think a family who gives so much for their country already would have it easier in that sense.. like it should be easier..if that makes sense, lol.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

We are a military family now and they don't make it easy to foster :(

Quoting my_babies_n_me:

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)