Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

is this normal for a 3yr old? being scared of many things*piog*

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is afraid of many many things. Like I never seen a kid that afraid. Is that normal? He has always been this way. He will be 4 in oct.

Examples
Bath poofs
Thunder(understandable)
Vaccumes(sp?)
Trains
Fire pits(even when no fire)
Shovels
Masks(not even scary ones)
Fish
Swings
Those are ones I can think on the top of my head
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BRQ07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM
bath poofs?? thats almost cute. i used to be terrified of lots of things when i was that age but it was due to a very nasty divorce between my mother & father.... i guess kind of like kind of post traumatic stress disorder. not saying anything like that happened or is happening to him, just giving my experience :). i still dont like masks though, even non-scary ones bc my father would throw them @ me or make it look like they were attacking him.... yes i know its silly,lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoxyJI
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM
My nephew was that way... Didn't seem normal but the doctors had no concerns about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Hard to tell with a 3 yr old. My son is a scaredy cat, too. As he got older, we figured out it was because he didn't want me to go to work. At first it was from stress, but then he realized freaking out about stuff made me stay with him longer. Little kids are smarter than we think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilymarie07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM
It is cute but I feel so bad lol. During bath time if there is a bath poof in there he will not go in until you take it out and hide them lol. My dd likes to be mean and bring it back in with her lol.

But I know what you mean. Yeah dh and I fight but not a lot and we try to do it when not infront of the kids. I just feel so bad for him sometimes...

Like I'm afraid when he starts school because he is also bigger for his age (working on that) and I know how kids can be and if my son is the same way he is now I'm scared he is going to hate school.. :(. Still have a couple of years though

Quoting BRQ07:

bath poofs?? thats almost cute. i used to be terrified of lots of things when i was that age but it was due to a very nasty divorce between my mother & father.... i guess kind of like kind of post traumatic stress disorder. not saying anything like that happened or is happening to him, just giving my experience :). i still dont like masks though, even non-scary ones bc my father would throw them @ me or make it look like they were attacking him.... yes i know its silly,lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReiReally
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Well, you've got, strange textures, loud things that aren't alive, big or even visiable, unusual spaces that are sometimes hot, humanoid faces with no bodies, creatures that never breathe air or have arms and legs, and something as simple as chains connected to a piece of plastic that somehow causes people to suddenly be in the air, back down again and back in the air again. Seriously, wtf is up with all that?

Seems like he just needs a little exposure and when he freaks out, don't make a big deal about it. Maybe he'll grow out of it.
I might just be a little cruel but, when my son is afraid of something that is perfectly safe all the time (unlike the unlit fireplace that isn't always a safe thing to be near), i make him be near it until he calms down. Be it in my arms holding him, i still make him be near it. If he still doesn't want anything to do with it, that's fine but, i feel his fear stems from a lack of understanding and i don't want him to remain ignorant. Like i said, even my husband thinks i'm being cruel but, it's what i had to do and i'm not afraid of anything and i think it helps i wasn't allowed to be afraid.

emilymarie07
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Lol it is cruel but if it works sometimes do it. Like with the vaccume. When running it I too will hold onto him and bring it near him and tell him not to be afraid and tell him it won't get him. The hose part I would put on me and laugh then do it to him. I stopped that though. But I do try and bring him near the things or try and make him touch them. Still no help :(. I know it takes time but it just makes me feel bad and is weird to me.

Quoting ReiReally:

Well, you've got, strange textures, loud things that aren't alive, big or even visiable, unusual spaces that are sometimes hot, humanoid faces with no bodies, creatures that never breathe air or have arms and legs, and something as simple as chains connected to a piece of plastic that somehow causes people to suddenly be in the air, back down again and back in the air again. Seriously, wtf is up with all that?

Seems like he just needs a little exposure and when he freaks out, don't make a big deal about it. Maybe he'll grow out of it.
I might just be a little cruel but, when my son is afraid of something that is perfectly safe all the time (unlike the unlit fireplace that isn't always a safe thing to be near), i make him be near it until he calms down. Be it in my arms holding him, i still make him be near it. If he still doesn't want anything to do with it, that's fine but, i feel his fear stems from a lack of understanding and i don't want him to remain ignorant. Like i said, even my husband thinks i'm being cruel but, it's what i had to do and i'm not afraid of anything and i think it helps i wasn't allowed to be afraid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReiReally
by on May. 6, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Not to say i'll let him stay in hysterics, but we'll get a little distance between us but keep said fear in sight until he can watch it a little longer to understand that it's not harmful. Like the bathpoof. I would keep one in every room and quietly play with them myself until LO became interested in it and wanted to play with it himself. Being a kid, his curiosity will eventually get the better of him and want to play with it too. Then you just have to deal with keeping bath poofs in the bathroom. I've stood 8ft away from a running parked tractor with DS in my arms for 20 minutes so he could understand that it wasn't going anywhere and it wasn't going to hurt anyone. He stopped crying out of fear and then he let me know that he didn't like the sound amd started to just be frustrated by that. Perfectly understandable. Children's hearning really is EXTREMELY sensitive.

Some things i've just tossed my son in and made him enjoy it. There's a family friend (he's like a grandfather to DS) who has horses where my mil has her horses (we visit and ride regularly) who had a quad and DS was scared of it but, i knew he would love it if he rode it. I told the family friend this and he says "well, here, let me have him" so he took DS and (SLOWLY) took him for a ride around the entire property and i was right, he didn't want to get off after that.
I guess it goes with i know my son pretty well and know when to push him into something and when we should walk away.

Quoting emilymarie07:

Lol it is cruel but if it works sometimes do it. Like with the vaccume. When running it I too will hold onto him and bring it near him and tell him not to be afraid and tell him it won't get him. The hose part I would put on me and laugh then do it to him. I stopped that though. But I do try and bring him near the things or try and make him touch them. Still no help :(. I know it takes time but it just makes me feel bad and is weird to me.

Quoting ReiReally:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)