Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Irritated with my job (long)

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

When I first started working at my job at a gas station I loved it. I was on my feet and got to move around a lot. I could work 9, 10,11 hour shifts no problem. I would ALL WAYS say yes if they called me to see if I would cover an extra shift (even if it ment I worked 7 days straight). The only thing I didn't like about working there was stalking the color and that was because it was cold. I would do it though and not bitch. I even took over graves for a few months after our normal graves person had a heart attack. 

Fast forward 5 months down the road. I found out I was expecting. I was right around 7 weeks. One morning I woke u with the worst cramps and called my boss 8 hours before my shift start (I worked graves that night). Told one of my coworkers I wouldn't be in and what was going on. My boss was busy and couldn't talk. Well the gril calls back 5 mins later and said I had to find someone to cover my shift. Well the only other person who worked graves told me no. So I called back and told my boss. She said no prob she would just have the late night person stay a few hours extra and the morning person come in a few hours early. K cool. Well that night I was up all night. I tried taking tylenol and even warm baths nothing helped. I finally was able to fall asleep around 4am. I got up the next morning and went to school. I was sitting in school and the cramps came back a lot worst. I had scared the shit out of myself the night before researching and thought maybe I was having a tuble pregnancy. I told my teacher I had to go and I went to the ER.

Come to find out I wasn't having a tuble pregnancy but I had Kidney stones. So they gave me some pain meds and sent me home. I went to work the next day and found out almost everyone was pist at me because I had called in. I just thought whatever let them be pist. Things started to go down from there. ppl were saying I wasn't going to be reliable because I was pregnant (even though my work ethics hadn't changed). 

I started to get depressed and hate my job. Going to work would just wear me out. I couldn't stand on my feet for more then 6 hours without wanting to just go home and crash. By this time I am 13-15 weeks pregnant. I thought I would just talk to my new manager and see if I could go part time for awhile. He was fine with it. He would schedule me either short shifts or only a few days a week.

Today we had a meeting at work and after the meeting the GM pulled me a side and chewed me out for asking for less hours. He said they hired me for full time. I said that is fine I can work full time but would it be okay to sit down every few hours to rest for 5 mins. He told me NO. That I said when I was hired I could work 9 hours without breaks and I can't have them now. Okay when I first started working there I was not pregnant and I would work 10 and 11 hour shifts without taking a break! Now the part that pisses me off the most is the smokers get to go sit their asses down and have a break two or three times a shift. Tell me how that is fair?

It took everything for me not to tell the guy to kiss my ass and he can find someone else. I had to think of my little unborn baby. The more hours are great cuz it just means I'll be able to get finacially stable faster. Guess I'll just go take a 5 min "shit" in the restroom every 3 hours, just so I can sit down.

Oh and when I was working graves they frowned upon me using the restroom (wtf?!?!)

Thanks for reading my vent! 

BabyFruit Ticker
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rene04
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it's illegal to work 9 hours straight with no breaks...  might be talking outta my butt but I know if we don't take breaks at work they aren't happy with us because they can get in trouble for it.

raye-chan
by Raye on May. 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM

oO Sounds like my job! I finally left it back in Aug after having multiple days where I passed out and they just left me there on the floor for customers to see. 

ooCherryo0
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM

thats what I thought too.... but I don't know how different it is because it is a gas station.

Quoting Rene04:

If I'm not mistaken, it's illegal to work 9 hours straight with no breaks...  might be talking outta my butt but I know if we don't take breaks at work they aren't happy with us because they can get in trouble for it.

BabyFruit Ticker
steffielou_who
by Stefanie on May. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM
It is illegal.. By law, for each 3 hours worked, you get a 10 or 15 minute break..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ooCherryo0
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Damn... This is what I found on Utah law Commission

Are employers required to provide rest breaks and meal periods?

Minors, under the age of 18, are entitled to a meal period of at least 30 minutes not later than five hours from the beginning of their shift. A rest break is required for minors of at least 10 minutes for every three hour period or part thereof that is worked. There are no state or federal laws that require an employer to provide lunch breaks or rest periods for adult workers. Most employers in the interest of efficiency and good employee relations will establish a policy governing leave and break periods.

Quoting ooCherryo0:

thats what I thought too.... but I don't know how different it is because it is a gas station.

Quoting Rene04:

BabyFruit Ticker
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM

By law you are required at the very least a 30 minute lunch break.  the rules should be posted somewhere in the building.  If you aren't getting at least a lunch break then they will get in trouble.  for most 9 hour shifts you get a 15 minute paid break in the first 4 hours, then a 30 minute unpaid lunch, and then another 15 minute paid break in the last 4 hours.  

annbellysmom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

get a drs note. i worked at a truck stop while i was pregnant and there was no sitting either and I had a high risk pregnancy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)