Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

REAL moms vs. pet moms

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this
So I recently was linked to an article on a cat blog that was about how pet moms are moms too. I read it, thought about it, and commented.

Now, I understand that not everyone has the choice to have babies, and that some simply choose not to. I don't really care if someone wants to call themselves a pet mom or refer to their cat as their kid... Whatever floats your boat. I stated all of this and then simply tried to point out that call yourself what you might, but the line is drawn when you think that raising your cat is just the same as me raising my kids. I pointed out the difference in financial commitments, time commitments, and sheer energy. Their response to me was vicious. Saying things such as "well my cat will never grow up to be a serial killer", or saying things such as "ohhh we have another martyr". I became incensed. I abhor anyone pitying me (why would you pity someone with the greatest job in the world), I certainly don't need recognition, I know what I do and how important it is.

I don't dislike animals. Quite the opposite, I love having dogs but being a single mom of a five and two year old I simply haven't the time or energy to have yet another entity that depends solely on me. I also can most assuredly say that I can love a pet to pieces, but i could never put a pet on the same level of my children.

After a heated discussion I was banned from the discussion, while the people who made wild accusations about my mothering skills, and said that children in general are nothing but problems waiting to happen were not rebuked in any way. I generally do my best to avoid conflict, but in this case I urge you to check the site yourself. (link posted below)

Be any kind of mother you want to, but never imply that having a cat is in any way like the job we moms do day and night for the rest of our lives.

Site here: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/hey-susan-maushart-pet-moms-are-real-moms
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LilStacy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree wit u!!....I don't understand it either!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daulton_dustin
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM
AMEN!!!!
sweettigeress
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Oi, whatever. I consider my cat my child, but I would never link her up there with my girls. I don't have to have a carseat for her (my cat), I don't have to take her everywhere with me. People are nuts.

itsblissmas
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I used to have cats so I understand the "they are my babies" thing but that is a figure of speech. I was not their mom; I was their OWNER. :o)

NovaChick26
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I have a dog whose like my baby but I dont consider myself a pet mom lol its not like taking care of a real child he dosnt have as many needs . Some people go way to over board with the whole "pet parent" thing . I was watching a show on TLC I think it was called my crazy obsession something like that but it featured this couple who catered to their cats every need and want and went way over board.

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM
My fiances sister has a dog and they always refer to my Df's mom as the dogs grandmama, and now she wants my kids to call her that too. Okay, first off she is like forty five, way too young to be a grandmama, that name makes me thibk of much older women. Second, I find it odd that she has the dog call her that and then wants my kids to call her that too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)