Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need eczema advice/help!

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM
  • 33 Replies
My almost 14-month-old daughter was diagnosed with eczema around her 1st birthday. Her pediatrician suggested I put on Vaseline, Cetaphil, or another type of moisturizer, and so far the first two have helped but there is not much of a difference. Any other moms with little ones with eczema out there? What worked? Any ideas what causes it (I've done some research on my own I'm just looking for opinions). I'm also curious as to why it showed up all of a sudden (the dr. just said it can happen, it just seemed weird). Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ae86mommy
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM
My baby doesn't have it but i do. So far, the only things that have worked are the baby oil gel with aloe right after a bath, and the Olay Quench lotion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dancedance432
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Pediatrician told me to take my daughter an oatmeal bath and use eucerin calming cream. Oh my goodness it was such a relief and helped my daughter so much. Also don't take baths everyday she said it causes the skin to dry out. She also told us to use products that are senseless. We could no longer use the Johnson and Johnson baby lotion or bath products because it caused her to break out. We also switch to a different laundry detergent. We used the baby dreft one but now just use the 5 th generation products. Good luck and hope your baby gets relief soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM
My dd's is dairy-induced. I bathe her in water only, and only twice a week or so, and use coconut oil to moisturize. We already use free and clear detergent because I have sensitive skin.

By eliminating dairy, it started clearing right up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rnmom4lif
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:36 AM

the only thing that works for my son is gentle natures baby eczema cream. we got it at at the grocery store and it works great. we just put it on whenver he gets out of the bath.

kmencl3210
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM
We bought DS (he's 10 months old) aveeno for eczema and its worked great with him. And personally I like it a lot more than vaseline (I have issues with certain textures, they either gross me out or really really irritate me--- vaseline grosses me out lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Binkys_Buttons
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM
Try organic coconut oil. That's what We use our house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SOCO101
by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:56 AM

DD's had it since she was 8 months. I've tried everything. 

I've finally got a routine that seems to help. 

She gets a bath every night, but I only use soap and shampoo every other night. Except really dirty areas like under her neck...Dove for sensitive skin works really good. But be really careful not to get it in their eyes.

After her bath, I use Aveeno baby lotion everywhere she doesn't have eczema. The places that are broken out I use Cortizone 10 Intensive Healing Lotion, for eczema. 

During the day, I use the Cortizone lotion maybe one other time, and put lotion on her twice a day. 

It's a job, but dd's eczema is finally getting under control. (knock-on-wood).

shortcakes13
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:59 AM
I dunno if u know anything about melalueca but they make a body wash and lotion called renew...I have used it on my girls for 4 months now and we haven't had any breakouts at all... its awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZelda89
by on May. 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM
My 4 month old has dairy induced eczema. When he was at his worst, nothing the doctor told us to use was working, and I was in tears, because his skin cracked open. DH put A&D ointment (gold one) on his skin, and most of it cleared right up! I hope you find something that works!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiesmommy1109
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:07 AM
My dd has excema and she gets bathed every other night.
Water only and we use a Castile soap. She uses a non scented vanicream or moisturizing lotion.
When she has break outs, hydrocortisone and aquaphor help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)