Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

One sibling killing another *added article*

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM
  • 14 Replies

RAGLAND, AL (WBRC) -

Authorities with the City of Ragland and St. Clair County are investigating the death of an 9-year-old girl. 

The girl was found Thursday hanging from a tree at her family's home on Poplar Ridge Lane, according to the St. Clair County Coroner, Dennis Russell. He calls the death suspicious.

The coroner has identified the girl as Katelynn Arnold. Her body was discovered just after 9 p.m. Thursday, May 10, according to the AP.

Neighbors say the rope the girl was hanging from was at one time part of an old tire swing. The coroner described it as "like a big cotton rope." 

Officials from Ragland Elementary School say Katelynn was a student there. They plan to have grief counselors on hand Friday for students. 

Neither the Ragland Police Department nor the St. Clair County Sheriff's Office have made an official statement on the girl's death. A press conference has been called for 1 p.m.

The girl's body has been taken to Huntsville for an autopsy. 

It is being reported now that the girls 14 year old half brother hung her from the tree and has been

9-Year-Old Found Hanging From Tree; Teen Charged with Murder

Posted on: 4:31 pm, May 11, 2012, by Dan Jovic

hanging

RAGLAND, AL – The St. Clair County Sheriff says a teenager has been charged with murder in the hanging death of a 9-year-old girl.

Sheriff Terry Surles said a 14-year-old was taken into custody early Friday morning, questioned, and charged with the murder of Katelynn Arnold. 

“It was not accidental.  It was definitely intentional,” Sheriff Surles said.

The incident happened late Thursday evening at 85 Poplar Ridge Lane in Ragland.  Arnold was a foster child in the home, and the teen charged is her half-brother, Surles said.

Just after 8 p.m. Thursday, Arnold’s foster mother found her with a knot hanging around her neck, and called 911.  The girl was rushed to a hospital in Pell City, where she was pronounced dead.

The teenager’s name has not been released, but he has already had his 72-hour hearing and will have another hearing later to determine if he’ll be charged as an adult.

Sheriff Surles said he did not know the motive for the crime yet, but said the investigation will continue.

“He is charged with murder,” Surles said.

Coroner Dennis Russell said Arnold’s cause of death is homicide by strangulation. 

The Ragland Police Department. St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office and St. Clair County Coroner’s Office are investigating the case.  Coroner Dennis Russell said Arnold’s body was taken to the forensics lab in Huntsville.

Arnold was a student at Ragland Elementary School.  The school brought in grief counselors on Friday to talk with her classmates.

Ragland is about 45 minutes southeast of Gadsden.arrested. 

by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Oh God.

GirlWSlingshot
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That's terrifying. Gotta wonder what is going on with that boy that he felt that was the best course of action.

mrscass0416
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM
That's sad. My sisters fiance was shot in the head by his brother infront of their mom. As a parent I don't know what I would do. Its sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2babygurls.h.f
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Omg!!! Why would he do that????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 11, 2012 at 6:11 PM

OMG how is the mom now?? I couldn't imagine that 

Quoting mrscass0416:

That's sad. My sisters fiance was shot in the head by his brother infront of their mom. As a parent I don't know what I would do. Its sad.

usmc.momma
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:12 PM
What the unholy fuck?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyjenn84
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Thats pure terrifying!!

I watched an episode of private practice a few Weeks ago and a teenage sister stabbed her younger sister (roughly the same ages as these two) to death... I couldn't imagine when I was watching it in fiction... I still can't thinking about it in reality.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on May. 11, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw this on the news today, ugh.

If the 14 year old brother really did commit this heinous murder, I hope that little prick spends the rest of his life in prison.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrscass0416
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM
She is okay. His brother is now out of jail and has basically taken over his life. That was the big issue he was really jealous of him and wanted all that he had. Now he has it. He only went to jail for 4 yrs I believe. He has his car and runs the family's successful business which was what Julian did. He didn't get his friends or my sister but yea it was horrible.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Quoting mrscass0416:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squishylove
by on May. 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
4 yrs for cold blooded murder? How the hell did that happen?

Quoting mrscass0416:

She is okay. His brother is now out of jail and has basically taken over his life. That was the big issue he was really jealous of him and wanted all that he had. Now he has it. He only went to jail for 4 yrs I believe. He has his car and runs the family's successful business which was what Julian did. He didn't get his friends or my sister but yea it was horrible.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Quoting mrscass0416:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN