Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My son is allergic to...

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM
  • 31 Replies
Dogs. And cats...and a certain type of mold (household). Supposedly he isn't allergic to pollen, trees, grass, plants, milk, soy, eggs or corn. He had one of those blood panels done. He has been stuffy since a few days after his birth. So from about 6 months on the dr has said "allergies, probably seasonal." This is the first time he has had blood testing done. But if he's not allergic to all that other crap, why has he had allergies since before we got a dog? Long before we got our toy aussie he had allergies. He's gotta be allergic to something outside. The dr said we need to consider finding new homes for our dogs but if he had allergies before...idk, something isn't right.

Anyone have experience with allergies? I don't have that problem, thankfully, so I am just now learning all of this stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Allergies can change with age. My son was never allergic to kiwi, but recently he had an allergic reaction. My whole family has severe allergies, including animals. Dog allergies can be kept under control by frequent bathing, keeping them off beds, vaccuming and sweeping frequently, etc. 

aimhawk
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM

DD is 4 turning 5 in August. We've just had the prick test done on her back. She is allergic to cats, mold spores, dust mites, smoke, and tree pollen. We have cats almost her whole life and they had never bothered her. She is on all kinds of allergy meds, but still has a cough. We had to get rid of all stuffed animals/toys. By a humidity alarm and have to turn on a dehumidifier if the humidity gets %50 or over. She has an allergenic pillow and bed cover. Also sleeps with a fan going to avoid coughing during the night. Also, I cannot vacuum with her in the house and she cannot be in the vacuumed area for 4 hours according to the doctor so the dust can settle.

Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Yeah I'm gonna start vacuuming a lot more now. When we got our dog I didn't notice any difference in his allergies. I don't think our dogs have as much dander as some. I would be so sad if we had to give up our lil aussie :( I'm a dog person. Go figure that my son is allergic! Argh. Are you allergic to dogs?

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Allergies can change with age. My son was never allergic to kiwi, but recently he had an allergic reaction. My whole family has severe allergies, including animals. Dog allergies can be kept under control by frequent bathing, keeping them off beds, vaccuming and sweeping frequently, etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM
Ds turns 5 in August as well. He has a cough too. How much is the alarm and dehumidifier stuff? Can that get expensive? What about the pillow and bed cover? That's crazy about the vacuuming! Allergies suck :( what all does your dd take?

Quoting aimhawk:

DD is 4 turning 5 in August. We've just had the prick test done on her back. She is allergic to cats, mold spores, dust mites, smoke, and tree pollen. We have cats almost her whole life and they had never bothered her. She is on all kinds of allergy meds, but still has a cough. We had to get rid of all stuffed animals/toys. By a humidity alarm and have to turn on a dehumidifier if the humidity gets %50 or over. She has an allergenic pillow and bed cover. Also sleeps with a fan going to avoid coughing during the night. Also, I cannot vacuum with her in the house and she cannot be in the vacuumed area for 4 hours according to the doctor so the dust can settle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Yes I have a dog allergy, my kids and husband have cat allergies...we still have pets though. They make a "dander free" spray you can use as  well.

Quoting Aadensma:

Yeah I'm gonna start vacuuming a lot more now. When we got our dog I didn't notice any difference in his allergies. I don't think our dogs have as much dander as some. I would be so sad if we had to give up our lil aussie :( I'm a dog person. Go figure that my son is allergic! Argh. Are you allergic to dogs?

Quoting ambermarie2006:

ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 15, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Oh yea look into air purifiers! We have one in each bedroom, and a big one in the main living area of the house.

Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Okay. Is the dander free spray for the dog? Lol I feel like a dork...but I'm new to all of this.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Yes I have a dog allergy, my kids and husband have cat allergies...we still have pets though. They make a "dander free" spray you can use as  well.

Quoting Aadensma:

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Do the air purifiers really make a difference?

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Oh yea look into air purifiers! We have one in each bedroom, and a big one in the main living area of the house.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

yes especially during the peak allergy season. They collect airborne allergens like dust and pet dander

Quoting Aadensma:

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM
Oh nice! Lol the dr didn't say that...the first thing was "you might consider finding them new homes." What a jerk face.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

yes especially during the peak allergy season. They collect airborne allergens like dust and pet dander

Quoting Aadensma:

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN