Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My son is allergic to...

Posted by   + Show Post
Dogs. And cats...and a certain type of mold (household). Supposedly he isn't allergic to pollen, trees, grass, plants, milk, soy, eggs or corn. He had one of those blood panels done. He has been stuffy since a few days after his birth. So from about 6 months on the dr has said "allergies, probably seasonal." This is the first time he has had blood testing done. But if he's not allergic to all that other crap, why has he had allergies since before we got a dog? Long before we got our toy aussie he had allergies. He's gotta be allergic to something outside. The dr said we need to consider finding new homes for our dogs but if he had allergies before...idk, something isn't right.

Anyone have experience with allergies? I don't have that problem, thankfully, so I am just now learning all of this stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
aimhawk
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:14 AM

It can get really pricey. When we move and have central heating and air I'll also be purchasing the Hepa air filters. I'm also saving up to buy a Hepa filtered vacuum cleaner.

Humidity Sensor - $24.99

Dehumidifier - $100+ just depends on the type and the store

Pillow - $14.97

Pillow Encasement - $11.98

Bed Cover/Encasement - $29.97 - $49.97 (it has to be one that fully encloses the mattress, it can't just be a top cover)

She takes Advair, Cetirizine (generic for Zyrtec), Singulair, and also Xopenex HFA for asthma. I'm thinking there is something else she takes for when it gets really really bad, but we don't have it right now so I can't think of the name. She is also allergic to mosquito bites and the pedi prescribes her a cream, but we haven't had the need for it yet this year. And yes the vacuuming thing does suck!

Quoting Aadensma:

Ds turns 5 in August as well. He has a cough too. How much is the alarm and dehumidifier stuff? Can that get expensive? What about the pillow and bed cover? That's crazy about the vacuuming! Allergies suck :( what all does your dd take?
Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Where did you get the pillow/pillow encasement/bed encasement? Ds just started sungulaire and I think it's helping. He takes Zyrtec twice a day, along with singulaire. He has bad eczema so the dr prescribed him something for itching because he scratches himself constantly, which leads to breaking open the areas on the skin and spreading it more. Is the hepa stuff pricey?

Quoting aimhawk:

It can get really pricey. When we move and have central heating and air I'll also be purchasing the Hepa air filters. I'm also saving up to buy a Hepa filtered vacuum cleaner.

Humidity Sensor - $24.99

Pillow - $14.97

Bed Cover/Encasement - $29.97 - $49.97 (it has to be one that fully encloses the mattress, it can't just be a top cover)

She takes Advair, Cetirizine (generic for Zyrtec), Singulair, and also Xopenex HFA for asthma. I'm thinking there is something else she takes for when it gets really really bad, but we don't have it right now so I can't think of the name. She is also allergic to mosquito bites and the pedi prescribes her a cream, but we haven't had the need for it yet this year. And yes the vacuuming thing does suck!

Quoting Aadensma:

Ds turns 5 in August as well. He has a cough too. How much is the alarm and dehumidifier stuff? Can that get expensive? What about the pillow and bed cover? That's crazy about the vacuuming! Allergies suck :( what all does your dd take?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 15, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Oh yea the Hepa stuff helps a lot, its filters it more. We have a hepa filtered vacuum and we have hepa filters in the air purifiers 

Quoting Aadensma:

Where did you get the pillow/pillow encasement/bed encasement? Ds just started sungulaire and I think it's helping. He takes Zyrtec twice a day, along with singulaire. He has bad eczema so the dr prescribed him something for itching because he scratches himself constantly, which leads to breaking open the areas on the skin and spreading it more. Is the hepa stuff pricey?

Quoting aimhawk:

Humidity Sensor - $24.99

Pillow - $14.97

Quoting Aadensma:

aimhawk
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I bought all of that at Walmart. Honestly I'm not sure about the Hepa pricing I haven't looked yet. Those medicines both help her, but they do not help with the cough she gets at all. I recommend keeping his nails as short as you can!

Quoting Aadensma:

Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM
Yeah I try trimming his nails as much as possible. He has been fighting me about it lately though. Ds coughs at night and nothing helps with that. I wonder if he has post nasal drip...his grandma has that and he gets his allergy problems from her. He also has an appt with an ear, nose, and throat doctor. He snores pretty bad when he sleeps lol so they are gonna check his tonsils and adnoids.

Quoting aimhawk:

I bought all of that at Walmart. Honestly I'm not sure about the Hepa pricing I haven't looked yet. Those medicines both help her, but they do not help with the cough she gets at all. I recommend keeping his nails as short as you can!

Quoting Aadensma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:25 AM

It may not be allergies. He may have asthma. My DD does, and she had the same thing going on with her. Her asthma is seasonal, though, but the poor baby suffers thru spring, summer and fall. The only relief she gets is in winter.

If you can, have them do an asthma test on him. It took my DD to the point of having a severe asthma attack for her stupid ass doctor to figure out it was asthma, not allergies. We've changed doctors because of that incident too.

Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:46 AM
I asked the dr to test him for asthma and he said that the only way to really know if he has it is if he's wheezing. I guess that's when they test for it. I don't hear wheezing...how did they test your dd?

Quoting maryjmom:

It may not be allergies. He may have asthma. My DD does, and she had the same thing going on with her. Her asthma is seasonal, though, but the poor baby suffers thru spring, summer and fall. The only relief she gets is in winter.

If you can, have them do an asthma test on him. It took my DD to the point of having a severe asthma attack for her stupid ass doctor to figure out it was asthma, not allergies. We've changed doctors because of that incident too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM

you can develope allergies with time. my son was super super allergic to cats and dogs as a baby, even a short visit with anybody who had animal fur on them he was stuffy for days to weeks and miserable. but since we dont have animals and all and hes now 3 they arnt as bad but if we plan to be near them we give him allergy meds prior. 

my husband is allergic to all mold, pollen, and some others. he had allergy testing as a kid and they said everybody usually has some form of mild to severe allergy to pollen. 

beco8627
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Both my boys, 4 and 2, had the prick test done about 3 months ago. I already knew about an egg and peanut allergy in my 2 yr old, due to a blood test when he was 18 months old. The egg allergy went away, but with this skin test we found out he has an allergy to soy, cats, dogs and still have one to peanuts. In my 4 yr old, we found out he has a slew of pretty serious outdoor allergies. That explains his constant stuffiness, and coughing. It's a little different with my 2 yr old...he gets massive rashes when exposed to his allergens. We don't have pets, but my parents do. I never thought he was allergic to the cats and dogs. The most he ever did after leaving there was get a slightly stuffy nose and red eyes. But I never pieced it together until the prick test.
Your lucky there are no food allergies. In my personal opinion, allergens in food are so much harder to deal with than environmental allergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aadensma
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I'm kind of shocked that there are no food allergies. When he was like a year old we gave him bbq sauce. He broke out into hives. Then recently he had spaghetti and broke out into hives and he had never done that before. He eats spaghetti all the time. I'm not understanding why he was stuffy all the time before we had dogs though, if he's not allergic to those other things...my son would get red eyes and a bad runny nose around cats, so I knew he had an issue with them but he never got like that around dogs...except 2 breeds, a jack russel and a puganese. They must have bad dander. Idk, he's gotta be allergic to something else, too.

Quoting beco8627:

Both my boys, 4 and 2, had the prick test done about 3 months ago. I already knew about an egg and peanut allergy in my 2 yr old, due to a blood test when he was 18 months old. The egg allergy went away, but with this skin test we found out he has an allergy to soy, cats, dogs and still have one to peanuts. In my 4 yr old, we found out he has a slew of pretty serious outdoor allergies. That explains his constant stuffiness, and coughing. It's a little different with my 2 yr old...he gets massive rashes when exposed to his allergens. We don't have pets, but my parents do. I never thought he was allergic to the cats and dogs. The most he ever did after leaving there was get a slightly stuffy nose and red eyes. But I never pieced it together until the prick test.

Your lucky there are no food allergies. In my personal opinion, allergens in food are so much harder to deal with than environmental allergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)