Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking away the bottle... Just shoot me now!

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM
  • 347 Replies
1 mom liked this
I never condone drugging children to get them to sleep but sweet lord I'm on the edge of a cliff and ready to jump.

My ds is 12 months old and my
Dh and I made the mistake of letting him have a bottle in bed. Between my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and his early work schedule it seemed like the best option. Now however, when trying to get him off the bottle I've created a giant cluster you know what. It's awful. I haven't slept in days! My ds will not sleep with out his bottle. I've tried everything water instead of formula, cutting back on the oz each night, I've even tried the ferber cry it out method which I totally hate. Nothing works he cries for hours! I'm at my wights end and out of ideas. If I were a crazy parent (and I'm headed down the right path with no sleep and a bad bout of fibro) I'd be half tempted to give the kid one of my melatonin pills. I won't don't worry but god I'm getting desperate!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 17, 2012 at 3:29 AM
3 moms liked this
It's definitely not easy to take something like that away. It was hell on earth with my oldest. I eventually had to feel like the worst mother on earth and let her cry for four hours straight before she exhausted herself. Like you, I had tried everything, and that was all that was left. Hardest night of my life, bar none.

I hope you find something that works for you! *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jayde08
by on May. 17, 2012 at 4:14 AM
11 moms liked this
Try breaking daytime and naptime bottles first, should help alot with bedtime bottles. Also if refusing sippy cups u might want to wait a lil bit. Best of luck to u. My daughter was still on bottles at 15 months for some daytime and nightime drinks but at end of 15 months i gave her cup only unless she asked for bottle and 2 days later helped rose them out :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bchic24
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 4:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I totally understand! I let my son have a bottle when going to sleep or a pacifier and I'm well beyond tired of both! I tried the cry it out method and he literally cried and cried until morning!!! So needless to say, it didn't work with him! As soon as I find a way to get him to sleep every night without them I will let you know! But he does randomly go to bed on his own without them so maybe it's just something he'll grow out of on his own? Eh who knows!

gacgbaker
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry!  :(

I know my doctor said that she doesn't care if my 12 month old is on a bottle still as long as we brush teeth before bed- will he take the bottle then you can brush his teeth and put him down?  I'm not sure what advice to give since my kiddos were always off the bottle, but I'm so sorry it's so frustrating and tiring!  :(

sweetnsexymom
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I would suggest just letting your ds have the bottle only with water and only 1 or 2 oz. That's how I ended up breaking dd of it. Now I give her a cup and she drinks all of it before falling asleep. She just won't do it outside of her room because there is to much going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeytonHailey
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM
8 moms liked this

I let me daughter have it til she was almost a year and a half i would say. then i slowly tried to give her a take n toss sippy cup and she eventually forgot about the bottle. I have always pretty much just let me kids self ween themselves off of things and its always worked either when its supposed to or shortly after. Maybe its not the best way... but it worked for us.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on May. 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM
12 moms liked this
I'm not one to push taking the bottle away, that's just me personally.

However, NO child should have a bottle in bed, for any reason, ever. It's a choking risk and it Will rot their teeth.

I'd try an empty sippy cup or empty bottle. It may just be a
Comfort item.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyasMommy463
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM
22 moms liked this

Wow I must be an awful mom.. I let my DD have her bottle until she was 2!

Charliesmommy11
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I just started using melatonin for my DS sleep issues and it helped so much! It doesn't knock them out it just helps them relax enough to fall asleep. It also does not keep them asleep for hours , they do that on their own. We started off with the 3mg tablets cut in half so 1.5 mg each night. I just simply crushed it up and let it dissolve in his nighttime bottle then laid him down.once he started getting sleepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Could you fill the bottle with water, say 6 oz, but only put one scoop of formula in? Just keep downing the amount of formula til it's all water and go from there. My dd won't even hold her own bottle at 10 months, so I doubt we'll be able to get her off at a year. She's done everything else ahead of schedule, but she has to be laid down in a specific chair and actually be fed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)