Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Im scared my 5 year old might go blind.

I've been holding this in.. I don't want to talk to dh about it, because when I bring it up, all he says is " I don't want to talk about that." And I don't blame him, but damn, I need to talk to someone about it.
When she was 2, we noticed her right eye turning in toward her nose. So we took her to an eye doctor. He said she was legally blind.. :-( I couldnt let it go as that. I called him a quack, and found another, better eye doc. when she a little older, thinking they could do a better exam since she could tell them what she can or can't see. Well, the conclusion is she is currently legally blind. I've been taking her to the same doctor, and he says her eyes have not improved and are getting worse.
She's only 5, and her glasses are almost 2 cm thick. He also said what I never wanted to hear. Her eyes might continue getting worse through out her life. He didn't have to say she could go blind, I kinda got that message.

How will I be able to deal with knowing she can't see me, or the blue of the sky, shell never be able to admire the beauty of a flower.. or see all the beauty the world has?
I swear I hope not. But I have that feeling she might. What can I do?? :'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Replies (21-22):
JADIEBUG
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My son has no peripheral vision and limited depth perception...His central vision is fine besides being near-sighted. So you can sneak up on him or stand to his side and he can't see you. Caning is usually those without peripheral vision, depth perception issues or those who have mobility issues.

Quoting 2babygurls.h.f:

Oh thank you! She's jot walking with a cane yet. She's wearing these scarythick glasses. I take them off of her, she can't see my hand waving in front her face . Thx so much.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Great website for support:

http://www.familyconnect.org/parentsitehome.asp

JADIEBUG
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep. Plus kids adapt so beautifully....They don't know they are missing something unless YOU make it a huge deal.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

She'll still be able to hear the love in your voice, smell your perfume, touch you're skin...

She'll be able to hear birds singing, smell the flowers, feel the warmth of the sun and every drop of reason that his her skin on a rainy day...

Focus on the positive hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN