Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I don't want to make her fat like me but....

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:57 AM
  • 22 Replies

I also don't want to under feed her. Our DD just turned a year old so needless so say she is eating a lot more "people" food and only has a bottle before her afternoon nap and before bed sometimes. I have a bunch of snacky foods because i read that almost half of their nurients from snacks appose to meals. I realize every kid is different and my girlie has always been a big eater but sometimes at dinner she just isn't not hungry and then sometimes when I am giving her snacks she will eat a whole fruit cup along with about 20 pieces of those gerber crunchies. I'm 5'8" and 280lbs but was "only" 220lbs before so needless so say I hold is well I guess but I remember how I felt growing up over weight and I don't want that for her. Then on a second note I also get worried she does not get enough liquids. Aside from two 8oz bottles she will have MAYBE 4oz of watered down juice.... I can't seem to get her to drink more... and where I live during the summer it get's to be 110 EASY so I am already parannoyed about her not drinking enough... Am I just being a super stressed out Mama??

My First Time Mom BLOG, Feel Free to Visit: http://fkoen.blog.com/

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shermy
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:21 AM
6 moms liked this

I don't think you are being super stressed out - I think nutrients and the food kids eat now really set them up for later in life.

If it were me, and it isn't, I would focus on making my child's "snacks" the most nutrient dense that I could. So, fresh fruit - not fruit cups, whole wheat crackers with hummus - not gerber puffs, fresh fruit smoothies - not juice (even watered down), Greek yogurt with a touch of honey and fresh fruit instead of flavored yoplait . I am very passionate about raising a child who has a diverse pallate, and their meals are centered around whole foods, not "snack foods". 

In sum, I really don't think snacking is an issue. I think it is WHAT is being snacked on, that is the very, very, very big issue. Also, with more nutrient dense snacks, you may find your child snacking less. 

We totally eat out, and I am totally not crazy about junk food ( crazy in that we let our son have fries, a taste of soda, or gellato - it is just that since I know our diet consists of mostly fresh fruits, vegetables and lean protiens that I don't need to really stress the little things, like a dinner out as a family, or full on juice at a birthday party).  

I am always up to talk about it in a helpful way, toss around ideas or if there is anything you need help with or questions, let me know! 

Edited to add, this is an example of how we eat during the week: http://finchfound.com/home/2012/3/18/eating-healthy-for-50-a-week-a-personal-challenge.html

ambermarie2006
by Amber on May. 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Great advice. My youngest is a grazer so we don't limit her snacks but make sure they are as packed with nutrients as possible.

Quoting Shermy:

I don't think you are being super stressed out - I think nutrients and the food kids eat now really set them up for later in life.

If it were me, and it isn't, I would focus on making my child's "snacks" the most nutrient dense that I could. So, fresh fruit - not fruit cups, whole wheat crackers with hummus - not gerber puffs, fresh fruit smoothies - not juice (even watered down), Greek yogurt with a touch of honey and fresh fruit instead of flavored yoplait . I am very passionate about raising a child who has a diverse pallate, and their meals are centered around whole foods, not "snack foods". 

In sum, I really don't think snacking is an issue. I think it is WHAT is being snacked on, that is the very, very, very big issue. Also, with more nutrient dense snacks, you may find your child snacking less. 

We totally eat out, and I am totally not crazy about junk food ( crazy in that we let our son have fries, a taste of soda, or gellato - it is just that since I know our diet consists of mostly fresh fruits, vegetables and lean protiens that I don't need to really stress the little things, like a dinner out as a family, or full on juice at a birthday party).  

I am always up to talk about it in a helpful way, toss around ideas or if there is anything you need help with or questions, let me know! 

Edited to add, this is an example of how we eat during the week: http://finchfound.com/home/2012/3/18/eating-healthy-for-50-a-week-a-personal-challenge.html

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2babygurls.h.f
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Sounds to me you need to make sure she eats nothing at least an hour before meals. My girl is the same way not wanting to eat dinner, and she's under weight but likes filling up on snacks. The only difference is, and I'm concerned about this one.. she only drinks pop. She refuses to drink juices, water, and will not touch milk unless its in her cereal. So I have to give her pop for her to drink anything.... I'm frustrated with it, but as long as she's not dehydrated ya know?

Btw... Were ALL stressed out.. were mothers. Just try cutting down on smacking. She won't like it, and will come up with every little excuse to eat, but stay firm, and don't allow any smacking before at least an hour prior to dinner. Change it if an hour isn't enough and she's still not eating good food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilTymomma
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 2:32 AM

well, always keep her on check with her weight on doctor visits. My lil boy eats like crazy, but he got to a point where i have to tell him when to stop or else he'll keep eating. I have him on a schedule. breakfast and 8oz milk, snack (usually a fruit) and 8oz watered down juice, lunch and 8oz milk, sometimes he'll eat dinner and 8oz of milk or just milk 8oz. I think they're supposed to have 24-32oz of milk. 3 meals a day. my lil guy eats every 3-4 hours im a first time mommy and lke to have him on a schedule and keep track of everything. 

KatieFlower
by Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Just dont give her treats, like sugary things, except for once or twice a week.  You will be fine.  She will eat only as much as she needs.  Half water down the juice- dont stress.  Your doctor will let you know if something is off.

TheJs
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Carbonated drinks actually dehydrate you faster

Quoting 2babygurls.h.f:

Sounds to me you need to make sure she eats nothing at least an hour before meals. My girl is the same way not wanting to eat dinner, and she's under weight but likes filling up on snacks. The only difference is, and I'm concerned about this one.. she only drinks pop. She refuses to drink juices, water, and will not touch milk unless its in her cereal. So I have to give her pop for her to drink anything.... I'm frustrated with it, but as long as she's not dehydrated ya know?

Btw... Were ALL stressed out.. were mothers. Just try cutting down on smacking. She won't like it, and will come up with every little excuse to eat, but stay firm, and don't allow any smacking before at least an hour prior to dinner. Change it if an hour isn't enough and she's still not eating good food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM
You said she eats fruit cups? Just try to make sure she gets watery fruits oranges, watermelon... Any melon... Start young with that stuff. If your doing that and also veggies I wouldn't worry too much about her liquid intake!
TheJs
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Except that sugary drinks and sodas can actually nullify all of that

Quoting kimmaylove013:

You said she eats fruit cups? Just try to make sure she gets watery fruits oranges, watermelon... Any melon... Start young with that stuff. If your doing that and also veggies I wouldn't worry too much about her liquid intake!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM
My 2 yo is in a size 4/5 she is very tall and chubby, she eats alot but she os very active. My son wS the same way and he is slim now. Just feed her healthy foods and she will be ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimmaylove013
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Um, I said nothing about sugary drinks... I was talking fresh fruits that carrie lots if water in them...

Quoting TheJs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN