Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

What makes someone a...?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM
  • 14 Replies

What makes someone a single parent? Is it someone who gets most of their financial support from their ex and they takes the kids every weekend? Is it the parent who gets no financial support but the other parent takes the kids half the week? And the list can go on and on. So I was wondering, in your opinion what makes someone a single parent?

I say parent because now-a-days there are a lot of dads raising kids on their own.

by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
activitymode
by Carey on May. 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Anyone who is single. Pretty self explanatory.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iCeezy
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM
An unmarried person with kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Lets say a couple has 2 kids and when they seperate the mom fully financially supports the 2 kids and dad only takes them every other weeked. Does that mean he's a single parent also? Because he is single.

Quoting activitymode:

activitymode
by Carey on May. 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Yes. It doesn't make him not single. What exactly are you looking for? If a parent lives alone with the children or without that still makes them single.

If you're arguing who does more work its obviously the custodial parent.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Lets say a couple has 2 kids and when they seperate the mom fully financially supports the 2 kids and dad only takes them every other weeked. Does that mean he's a single parent also? Because he is single.

Quoting activitymode:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Clarification I guess. I see and hear so many people say they're single parents but I always saw it differently. I always saw a single parent as a parent who did it without any involvement from the other parent.
I just wanted to make sure the type of involvement didn't matter.

Quoting activitymode:

Yes. It doesn't make him not single. What exactly are you looking for? If a parent lives alone with the children or without that still makes them single.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting activitymode:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beco8627
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I'm not sure why it would be confusing from the get go...single means single: not married, no relationship/only living with kids...

Quoting cjsmom1:

Clarification I guess. I see and hear so many people say they're single parents but I always saw it differently. I always saw a single parent as a parent who did it without any involvement from the other parent.

I just wanted to make sure the type of involvement didn't matter.

Quoting activitymode:

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting activitymode:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2babygurls.h.f
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM
One whom is not married, and has children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheerBugg1585
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM
I view a single parent as the parent who raises the child more or less on their own, with little or no help actually rearing the child. If they only give child support they're an ATM, not a parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
A parent who is single or dating that actually takes responsibility for their child. I considered myself a single mother until dh and I got married.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalYaris

If you get help from the other parent (like them taking them on the weekends and some time during the summer, I don't see that qualifying eiter of them as single parents. They still have the help from the other half. I would be a single parent - my sons father has nothing to do with him. Never saw him, doesn't pay anything and doesn't care to ever see him. That is what I see qualifying a single parent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN