Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Remember the dad that put the kid in the washer? It was the BABYSITTERS boyfriend!

Posted by   + Show Post

Man Who Put Toddler into Washing Machine Not Boy’s Father

Babysitter attempts to open machine The two adults shown loading a 13-month-old child into a commercial washing machine in a shocking video viewed by millions were not the boy's parents but a babysitter and her male friend. "We talked to the people in the video and they were not the parents of the child," Camden County Prosecutor's Office spokesperson Jason Laughlin tells Shine. "We won't be charging anyone. We were looking for purposeful endangerment and we didn't see that."

Related: Mistaken Identity? 10 Contested Death Penalty Cases

The story was picked up by major news outlets after a surveillance video showing a man putting a toddler into a washing machine, which then automatically locked shut and began filling with water, was released and watched by people across the country earlier this week. Reportedly, after the incident, the child was taken to the hospital for scrapes and bruises but was otherwise unharmed.

In the video, after the machine begins to cycle, laundry mat employee Kong Eng rushes to help the man and woman who appear to be panicked. He successfully disables the machine by shutting off the power. "I'm very proud of my worker," Lorng Chhour, owner of Federal Laundromat, in Camden, New Jersey, told CBS New York. "He's been with me eight years. I couldn't find anyone better."

The man and woman scoop up the youngster and flee the laundromat. Chhour tells Shine that the man referred to the child as "my kid." "That's why I thought he was the daddy," she explains. Employees and witnesses also assumed he was the boy's father when speaking to the media and the police after the incident.

The prosecutor's office is sending the case to be reviewed by the state Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS). DYFS spokesperson told Yahoo! Shine, "Due to New Jersey confidentiality laws, we can't comment on any cases." The names of all of those involved in the scary mishap remain unidentified.

Lusty Lenox

save the date

by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
MamaHome
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Indeed. The innocent victims always end up paying the price for stupidity.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Very true. But also cannot convict someone who was trying to be funny. A joke ended up being tragic accident.

Quoting MamaHome:

That case made me lose faith in humanity....not the justice system. Despite her guilt (which yes i think she did it), there wasn't substantial evidence to convict her. You can't convict someone of murder based on a feeling.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

This is what you choose to lose faith over? Personally I lost it when Casey Anthony got away with murdering her baby. Not a bad judgement call.

Quoting beadingmom17:

NOT charging them?!?!?! What in the fucking fuck?!?! I have lost total and complete faith in our "justice" system.

beaularson91
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM

how is that not purposeful endangerment?!?!??! what the hell did he think would happen when he put a baby in a running washer!?!?!? friggin dumbasses if their not charged ciminally you bet your ass id be sueing their asses 

novachick
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM
If the baby had been hurt I would agree, but since this resulted in no harm & they were clearly traumatized. I think they've learned their lesson and hopefully so have the parents that you can't just leave your precious child with anyone willing to watch them. The cops have not charged them so obviously there is no grounds for arrest or they also think they learned from their stupid mistake enough.
Quoting MamaHome:

How did they NOT know that you shouldn't "play" with a baby like that? Is there a mental handicap? If not, yes they knew, and yes it is punishable. A child's well being shouldn't pay the price for stupidity regardless of the intention. If they wanted to experiment on someone...it should have been themselves, not a baby!

Quoting novachick:

Those people were dumb as shit for playing with the baby like that, BUT they were clearly panicking and distraught when it turned into a dangerous situation. There was no malice in their actions just plain stupidity. I don't think they should be charged. What I want to know is why the parents felt it was ok to leave them with babysitters who, obviously, have such bad judgment and are way too immature to be watching a child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
novachick
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Seriously? This attitude is ridiculous.

Quoting MultiPara:

If it were a white baby I bet they would be in jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaHome
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

The report said the baby had bruises and minor injuries. Not to mention the psychological impact. Who's to say that child might not sleep well due to the incident. In my opinion, those constitute injury.

The real question is: At what point is injury/victimization punishable? I mean if we can punish kids who bully other kids, why would this situation be exempt? I'm all for civil liberties, but when one person's intentional actions directly influence another person's (especially a minor's) well being, punishment is valid.

Quoting novachick:

If the baby had been hurt I would agree, but since this resulted in no harm & they were clearly traumatized I think they've learned their lesson and hopefully do have the parents that you can't just leave your precious child with anyone willing to watch them. The cops have not charged them so obviously there is no grounds for arrest or they also think they learned from their stupid mistake enough.

Quoting MamaHome:

How did they NOT know that you shouldn't "play" with a baby like that? Is there a mental handicap? If not, yes they knew, and yes it is punishable. A child's well being shouldn't pay the price for stupidity regardless of the intention. If they wanted to experiment on someone...it should have been themselves, not a baby!

Quoting novachick:

Those people were dumb as shit for playing with the baby like that, BUT they were clearly panicking and distraught when it turned into a dangerous situation. There was no malice in their actions just plain stupidity. I don't think they should be charged. What I want to know is why the parents felt it was ok to leave them with babysitters who, obviously, have such bad judgment and are way too immature to be watching a child.

SparkleSail
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I would be mortified, joke or intentionally trying to hurt my child, I would definitely try to send the babysitter and the boyfriend to jail.
Mrs.Brugger
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

And they weren't even charged with anything!? HOW

coug7099
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Why did the machine begin to cycle? Why did the door lock? I'd be just as pissed about that as I was that the moron put my kid in there. In fact, I'd be more upset by that. Had the machine not malfunctioned, there really was no danger to the child.

bmack2107
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM

"We won't be charging anyone. We were looking for purposeful endangerment and we didn't see that."

Excuse me?! He is CLEARLY placing the child in the washer... and for what reason?!?! This story pisses me off!

novachick
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I was being silly the other day. I was spinning around with my nephew. When I went to set him down (we were both dizzy) he didn't let go and I stood back up. Well simultaneously as I stood up he let go and fell straight on his face. He got a bruise on his cheek and cried. Should I be charged with anything because he got bruises from me accidentally hurting him when I was playing and being funny? No. It was an accident. An avoidable and stupid accident (I shouldn't have spun so fast obviously) so since it was my fault and he was hurt and could maybe be traumatized should I be in jail right now? No, that's ridiculous. We all make silly stupid mistakes. How many of us have left our babies on the bed before realizing they could roll yet and they fell off? I've seen numerous posts just like that. Everyone tries to make the mom feel better cuz it was an accident. No matter how stupid it actually is to leave a baby unattended on a bed a lot of people have done it and baby got hurt. Still an accident and they shouldn't be in jail.

Quoting MamaHome:

The report said the baby had bruises and minor injuries. Not to mention the psychological impact. Who's to say that child might not sleep well due to the incident. In my opinion, those constitute injury.

The real question is: At what point is injury/victimization punishable? I mean if we can punish kids who bully other kids, why would this situation be exempt? I'm all for civil liberties, but when one person's intentional actions directly influence another person's (especially a minor's) well being, punishment is valid.

Quoting novachick:

If the baby had been hurt I would agree, but since this resulted in no harm & they were clearly traumatized I think they've learned their lesson and hopefully do have the parents that you can't just leave your precious child with anyone willing to watch them. The cops have not charged them so obviously there is no grounds for arrest or they also think they learned from their stupid mistake enough.

Quoting MamaHome:

Quoting novachick:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN