Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

RH POSITIVE

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM
  • 29 Replies

does anyone know what RH positive is? i have never heard of it and i tried looking it up online but i couldnt really understand what it meant...

by on May. 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmommy18
by on May. 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM

A woman is at risk when she has a negative Rh factor and her partner has a positive Rh factor. This combination can produce a child who is Rh positive. While the mother's and baby's blood systems are separate there are times when the blood from the baby can enter into the mother's system. This can cause the mother to create antibodies against the Rh factor, thus treating an Rh positive baby like an intruder in her body. If this happens the mother is said to be sensitized.

A sensitized mother's body will make antibodies. These antibodies will then attack an Rh positive baby's blood, causing it to breaking down the red blood cells of the baby and anemia will develop. In severe cases this hemolytic disease can cause illness, brain damage and even death.

bann917
by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

wow that is very scary but something to know thank you..its my best friends baby. she is pregnant right now. isnt due until mid oct. and i'm the godmommy. :/ i just hope all goes well.. but is rh genetic?

daydreamer86
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I am RH negative so I had to get 2 rounds of RH shots for future pregnancies. It's a shot I will have to get again during and after pregnancy.

Your postive so you have nothing to worry about it means you have a postive blood type. If I didn't get the shots my body will reject the next baby if the baby I'm carrying has a different blood type than me. I'm a- and ds is o+. So of my next baby is not a- blood type my body could kill the baby because it will see it as a foreign object. My first pregnancy was safe but I had to get the shots just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Amber on May. 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
If someone is RH negative they receive a shot around 28 wks and another within 72 hours of giving birth. Those shots decrease the risk of anything happening for both mother and child. And in future pregnancies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rach0307
by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM
This about sums it up. Of course, these days, it is preventable with shots, which I received since I have negative RH, and DH and DS have positive RH.

Quoting kmommy18:

A woman is at risk when she has a negative Rh factor and her partner has a positive Rh factor. This combination can produce a child who is Rh positive. While the mother's and baby's blood systems are separate there are times when the blood from the baby can enter into the mother's system. This can cause the mother to create antibodies against the Rh factor, thus treating an Rh positive baby like an intruder in her body. If this happens the mother is said to be sensitized.

A sensitized mother's body will make antibodies. These antibodies will then attack an Rh positive baby's blood, causing it to breaking down the red blood cells of the baby and anemia will develop. In severe cases this hemolytic disease can cause illness, brain damage and even death.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoxyJI
by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I'm rh negative and received the shots as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmommy18
by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:18 PM

so what's up? do you have it? prego? that's what i found online... there is a whole bunch of info on this

ColieO
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 6:19 PM
If you are rh.positive it's not a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmommy18
by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Rh factors are genetically determined. A baby may have the blood type and Rh factor of either parent, or a combination of both parents. Rh factors follow a common pattern of genetic inheritance. The Rh positive gene is dominant (stronger) and even when paired with an Rh negative gene, the positive gene takes over. For example: If a person has the genes + +, the Rh factor in the blood will be positive. If a person has the genes + -, the Rh factor will be positive. If a person has the genes - -, the Rh factor will be negative. A baby receives one gene from the father and one from the mother.

bann917
by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM

no i posted this because its about my friend and her baby...she is 20 weeks pregnant...

i dont know if i am positive or negative  rh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)