Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Losing Weight Does Not Make Former Fat Women More Attractive - Do you believe this?!

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

Losing Weight Does Not Make Former Fat Women More Attractive

Posted by Maressa Brown on May 31, 2012 

woman with measuring tape around bellyAs someone who has battled her weight her entire life -- mainly as a result of frustrating genetics, hormonal and metabolism issues, a keen interest in gourmet food, and sedentary activities -- I was horrified to read about a recent study that basically showed just how much overweight women and even formerly overweight women are, well, sort of screwed. The research, published in the journal Obesity, found that despite having similar heights and weights, women who had a history of weight trouble are perceived as less attractive than those who had always been thin.

So, in other words, even if you lose the weight, it's going to haunt you for your entire life, and you'll still never on the same level as a woman who has naturally never battled the scale? What a nightmare!

When trying to wrap my head around the "why" behind this disturbing finding, I could only come up with one reason: We've got a real issue with obesity in this country, but we also have a problem with our perception of obesity. We can't seem to get it out of our thick skulls that weight problems aren't always the fault of an overweight person. In other words, obesity isn't always or necessarily self-determined or easily controllable.

I know Mayor Bloomberg thinks he's going to squash NYC's weight problem by banning large sodas, but there's a lot more to that epidemic than people guzzling full-calorie Coke. Like genetics, our environmental challenges, our chemical-laden, antibiotic- and hormone-packed food supply, our workaholic tendencies that have us sitting for hours upon hours a day. At the same time, we're inundated with advertising that depicts a false reality, a completely manipulated idea of beauty. No wonder we're so confused and could never forgive a formerly overweight woman!

It's nothing short of completely disheartening that a woman who has made the effort to pare pounds -- and succeeded! -- would never be considered as attractive as a woman who has always been thin. I really do hope it's not as true as these researchers assert, but if it is ... society needs a serious reality check. 

Do you believe this?!

by on May. 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sweettigeress
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I guess it depends on the situation and how you handle it. Losing weight makes women feel more accomplished. 

in love       girl on a swing            toddler girl

Wife to Josh  Mother to Saria        Mother to Kairi

HannahLee87
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Me fat....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HannahLee87
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Me not as fat!.... I think I'm much more attractive now :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ermka
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM
I agree, women who've lost weight carry themselves with much more confidence & a confident woman always seems more attractive.

When I decide to stop being lazy and lose weight (it happens every couple of years) I'm tons hotter than I am when I'm a fatty. I base this solely on how much I get hit on by drunk men.. but still.. lol

Quoting sweettigeress:

I guess it depends on the situation and how you handle it. Losing weight makes women feel more accomplished. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MunchiesMom324
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yes, but the "former fat girl" will always think she's fat - even if she's a size 2.  One of my friends used to be big, now she's a size 2, and asked me (overweight myself) if she should sign up for the weight watchers thing through work.  She *almost* had her head implanted into the announcement board.

Quoting ermka:

I agree, women who've lost weight carry themselves with much more confidence & a confident woman always seems more attractive.

When I decide to stop being lazy and lose weight (it happens every couple of years) I'm tons hotter than I am when I'm a fatty. I base this solely on how much I get hit on by drunk men.. but still.. lol

Quoting sweettigeress:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)