Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I Don't Deserve to be a Mom......

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
  • 41 Replies

I am a terrible mother. I did the dumbest thing I could have ever done….

I decided to get breakfast for my SO at Burger King this morning before I took DD to school and went to work and when I stopped at home to drop it off to him, I figured my 5 year old DD would be fine sitting in her seat for the 2 minutes it took me to run inside. I was totally wrong. I walked back outside to see my minivan IN the hedge it was parked in front of and the light pole behind it lying on the ground.

My DD was sitting in the driver’s seat with this “oh crap” look on her face but she wasn’t scared or crying or anything. I asked her what happened and she actually tried to say she didn’t do anything. I was too freaked out to be mad at her in the moment so I just hugged her, put her back in her seat, pulled the van out of the hedge and parked it in our parking spot to survey the damage. We live in a small apartment complex so the pole she knocked over is small but if it can’t be fixed, I’ll most likely have to pay for a new one.

That’s not where the mess ends though. I proceeded to be even more of a moron by calling the leasing office and in a panic reporting the incident like I just noticed the downed light pole but that it wasn’t me that did it. Huge mistake #2. I was so scared of having to tell anyone what happened including my SO that I just automatically let panic mode take over and tried to hide it.

I just got a call from my SO a few minutes ago. Someone saw what happened, got my vehicle information and reported it to the leasing office. I had no choice but to come clean about the accident and it was horrible having to do that not only with the leasing office but with my SO. He is furious and I don't blame him. I should have just done the right thing and come clean but I was just so terrified. Now I'm even more scared of having the police or social services called on me for leaving my DD in the van alone. I have no idea what exactly that person saw but at least when I called the leasing office the girl was really understanding and accepted my apology and told me she would contact me if I needed to pay for anything.

I can only hope it doesn't go any farther than that. I feel like such a failure as a parent. What in the flying FUCK was I thinking???!!! I am so thankful it was only a minor incident but it could have been so much worse and believe me I've been thinking about that all day.

All I want to do is cry. I hate myself for being so utterly stupid :*(

I know I'm gonna get bashed to high hell probably but I don't care. I deserve it.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyTsunade81
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

BUMP

KairisMama
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Yikes!! Big lesson learned mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyTsunade81
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Tell me about it :(

Quoting KairisMama:

Yikes!! Big lesson learned mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikiP1
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
You are a human being, you made a mistake. It happens, lesson learned. Have a cup of tea/coffee and relax. Write down exactly what happened so you won't panic if your asked and you can answer honestly.

Hugs I'm glad your daughter is ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_shannie
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Everybody makes mistakes that doesn't mean you not meant to be a mother!

dollysvlog
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

you cant dewl on the past. it happened and you cant take it back,,,

move forward and deal with whatever is to come.

im sorry this happened, but focus on the positive. your dd is okay!

.stella.
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 mama. Live and learn. Just thank high heaven it was only the lightpole hurt/damaged.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NICHOLE87
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Quoting NikiP1:

You are a human being, you made a mistake. It happens, lesson learned. Have a cup of tea/coffee and relax. Write down exactly what happened so you won't panic if your asked and you can answer honestly.

Hugs I'm glad your daughter is ok!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I bet we can all recall a "horrible parenting moment".. none of us are perfect.

Superlaura328
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh no, I am so sorry!! Thank goodness DD was okay! Bt you know what, I've left my 5 year old in the car before for a quick run-in like that too, and I am sure we aren't the only ones. Don't be so hard on yourself!! Hopefully everything will blow over!

I remember recently being LIVID at my husband about 6 months ago... we live in an apartment complex also. I work while he stays home with the DS, who is 4 yrs. old. He called me up to tell me that he woke up when someone - some STRANGER! - from our apartment complex had brought our son home (we walk around with him all the time so he knows his way around). My husband had fallen asleep and didn't hear DS open the door and leave! He made it all the way to the front of the fucking complex (we live almost near the back), barefoot and in his pajamas (when it was maybe 50 degrees out). Luckily this nice gentleman saw him and brought him back home rather than some kidnapper or pedo finding him first. A day later, one of the people from the leasing office came by to check on him, just to make sure he was okay. I thought for sure that they had called CPS on us. 

The point of that story is that I was so pissed ay my husband, probably like your SO is at you. But I got over it because mistakes happen, we are all human, and none of us are perfect parents! So now we use it as a lesson - you live and you learn! You'll be okay, mama!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)