Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I Live in the Deep South, ask me anything.....

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in the world of southern belles and doing things our own way. Where, before school half the middle school migrates across Main Street to go to Wards, and policemen know this and sit watching to make sure traffic knows that too. 

When I had twins, I was told that scheduling was the way to go. Spanking isn't out of the norm here, and if your kids get out of hand at Walmart, you might just have an old lady come up and tell you off for not disciplining your children. 

Up until recently, it was very normal to see people riding in the back of trucks (and now it's more of how long the distance is and the gamble for whether you'll run into a policeman on the way). 

We talk slowly. Get over it. We take a long time to make decisions at a restaurant. Get over it.

We even still have an old time style barber shop that only services men. :-o

You are just not normal, an object for speculation, if you aren't 'a Christian'. If you don't want to be pegged with a big bulls-eye on your back saying 'Convert Me!', you better be at least affiliated with some church in your area. Your parent's church 2 hours away doesn't count, it needs to be local. 

Anyone else who lives in the Deep South, feel free to chime in!

Gonna be in and out for church and Father's Day, so don't bash me if I don't respond immediately. I'll do it eventually, promise!  :)

*edit* just for info, I've deleted what I originally said, and am replacing it with more of how I, living in MS where there has been major racial conflicts in our past, see the racial side to life here: ok. I think it's generally accepted that northerners and southerners have different cultures, right? Different speed, different accents, different ways of living life in general. We don't hate each other, or at least I don't hope so. Well, that's kinda how it is present day with whites/blacks here. What, 50, 60 years ago, 2 VERY different, clashing cultures that hated each other were forced together and told to get along. Now, the hate is for the most part gone. We've learned to get along. We are integrated as far as schools, churches, etc. are concerned. However, the cultures that made each group unique is still there. Now, we're in the stage of integrating those two cultures, making them into one culture together. But, just like if you threw a bunch of northerners and southerners together, it would take time to make it so you couldn't tell who was who just by listening to them talk, or a handful of other little tells. I would hope this observation wouldn't make me racist, however maybe it's just that I can't see it myself. 

*edit 2* Ok, thank you one poster for reminding me of this! Northerners, I honestly don't understand how you LIVE without sweet tea! Down here, restaurants have Tea, and Unsweetened Tea. When we visit north, you have Tea, and sugar packets. 

*edit 3* Ahhh! Sorry I forgot to put in football! Is that considered a capital crime? Gulp.......

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
HannahLee87
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM
South Louisiana here :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steph_83
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I live in Arkansas... And what is Wards?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kara.haughton
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I am originally from south Florida (ft lauderdale/Miami area) but I never consider it the south because it is so urbanized with all the different cultures and so fast paced. It actually reminds me of Los angeles. I only feel like I'm in the south south when I go to Alabama or Mississippi or Tennessee. But I love being a southern girl. I live in NC now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM

yay, a coon! (do I have the correct term and not too derogatorily, don't mean to be?) Definitely a different flavor of the Deep South!  Our culture has somewhat integrated with yours since Katrina, lol. Our youth pastor is from South LA, and he's great! He wears very colorful suits every week to church (or did, until his house burned down. Now his fashions are a little more in line with everyone else), and has all the youth group kids wearing suits on special occasions. I hear he likes pickled...everything?

Quoting HannahLee87:

mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM

It's just about the most amazing small fast food chain. They are known for their burgers, known as 'the Big Ones'. They are doused in way too much grease, then they put chili on it. Breakfast is amazing too, however our local one has a tendency to overcook their biscuits. 

Quoting steph_83:

I live in Arkansas... And what is Wards?

charliebean
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Do you consider Florida to be part of "the South"? I'm from Minnesota and everyone I know always seems to look at Florida as more of a vacation spot/tourist trap/, but everyone that lives here thinks of themselves as Southern. It's weird to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Awesome! I used to live in Jackson (MS, not TN), and have friends and family up towards Southaven.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

I am from North Mississippi lived their for 21yrs,then lived in Memphis,tn for 3yrsthe and now living in Houston,tx... never been out of the south. My family is full of rednecks. I grew up in a baptist church but now nondemonational. My husband is from a small farm town in
tx. See where I come from the roads and highways are clear in the Sunday early mornings and the churchs are packed.

mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

that's a really big iffy. Definitely not if you live in Orlando or one of the more urbanized cities. I think it's just a completely different flavor of the deep south.

Quoting charliebean:

Do you consider Florida to be part of "the South"? I'm from Minnesota and everyone I know always seems to look at Florida as more of a vacation spot/tourist trap/, but everyone that lives here thinks of themselves as Southern. It's weird to me.

Kaleigh92805
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I from SC
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HannahLee87
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol yea people here do refer to themselves as coons.... Pickled stuff!! Yummm lol pickled okra, green beans, asparagus, Sausage, artichoke, eggs, quail eggs, cucumbers (doesn't taste like a regular pickle 100Xs better), pig feet (ew), the list goes on but I'm having a brain fart this morning :)

Quoting mommy2b39465:

yay, a coon! (do I have the correct term and not too derogatorily, don't mean to be?) Definitely a different flavor of the Deep South!  Our culture has somewhat integrated with yours since Katrina, lol. Our youth pastor is from South LA, and he's great! He wears very colorful suits every week to church (or did, until his house burned down. Now his fashions are a little more in line with everyone else), and has all the youth group kids wearing suits on special occasions. I hear he likes pickled...everything?

Quoting HannahLee87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN