Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I Live in the Deep South, ask me anything.....

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in the world of southern belles and doing things our own way. Where, before school half the middle school migrates across Main Street to go to Wards, and policemen know this and sit watching to make sure traffic knows that too. 

When I had twins, I was told that scheduling was the way to go. Spanking isn't out of the norm here, and if your kids get out of hand at Walmart, you might just have an old lady come up and tell you off for not disciplining your children. 

Up until recently, it was very normal to see people riding in the back of trucks (and now it's more of how long the distance is and the gamble for whether you'll run into a policeman on the way). 

We talk slowly. Get over it. We take a long time to make decisions at a restaurant. Get over it.

We even still have an old time style barber shop that only services men. :-o

You are just not normal, an object for speculation, if you aren't 'a Christian'. If you don't want to be pegged with a big bulls-eye on your back saying 'Convert Me!', you better be at least affiliated with some church in your area. Your parent's church 2 hours away doesn't count, it needs to be local. 

Anyone else who lives in the Deep South, feel free to chime in!

Gonna be in and out for church and Father's Day, so don't bash me if I don't respond immediately. I'll do it eventually, promise!  :)

*edit* just for info, I've deleted what I originally said, and am replacing it with more of how I, living in MS where there has been major racial conflicts in our past, see the racial side to life here: ok. I think it's generally accepted that northerners and southerners have different cultures, right? Different speed, different accents, different ways of living life in general. We don't hate each other, or at least I don't hope so. Well, that's kinda how it is present day with whites/blacks here. What, 50, 60 years ago, 2 VERY different, clashing cultures that hated each other were forced together and told to get along. Now, the hate is for the most part gone. We've learned to get along. We are integrated as far as schools, churches, etc. are concerned. However, the cultures that made each group unique is still there. Now, we're in the stage of integrating those two cultures, making them into one culture together. But, just like if you threw a bunch of northerners and southerners together, it would take time to make it so you couldn't tell who was who just by listening to them talk, or a handful of other little tells. I would hope this observation wouldn't make me racist, however maybe it's just that I can't see it myself. 

*edit 2* Ok, thank you one poster for reminding me of this! Northerners, I honestly don't understand how you LIVE without sweet tea! Down here, restaurants have Tea, and Unsweetened Tea. When we visit north, you have Tea, and sugar packets. 

*edit 3* Ahhh! Sorry I forgot to put in football! Is that considered a capital crime? Gulp.......

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Replies (171-180):
LML1
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Although I am intrigued by other cultures. I couldn't cut it being a southern bell... I have no patients, hate bugs with a passion, not a fan of the heat either and couldn't handle the wild animals out there; alligators, pythons etc...

mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM

sigh.....I give up......

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

You are right its part of the south's HISTORY. Racism and racial profiling don't exist because of where someone lives. It exists because of ignorance.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

eh, maybe a stupid comparison, however by all the racial bashing I got in return for my first deleted post, I was trying to find a comparison that had the LEAST amount of hate involved. Definitely apples and oranges, however I hope you got what I was trying to get across.... I felt like I needed to include race in my post, because it IS such a huge part of the south's history, and I feel that by taking all the things we like about the south and leaving out anything we might consider bad, we're doing such a disservice to the amazing cultures down here. Just on this post, I've met a lot of Louisianans who are so proud of their culture. I would hope that the rest of us might be proud of our culture differences, not just focus completely on racism. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Northerners vs Southerners is apples and oranges compared to race. Thay was a ridiculous comparison.

peytonsmommy728
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Us southern girls do it best!!! I am over here in the boot!! Sweet tea, fried chicken, cornbread!! Hot dog!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LML1
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I live in PA and went to Jersey a couple times. Talk about road rage Jeez! Don't miss your exit or turn b/c if you do, you're screwed b/c NO ONE will let you over. lol

Quoting llheet8586:

I grew up in South Jersey does that count? LOL I live in "central New Jersey now and it is SOOOOO different from South Jersey!   They have different accents and everything... I have been told from the northern jersey people that I have a southern accent lol.. I know it's not that bad, but we went to Virginia for FOUR days when we got married and our "southern" accents were getting stronger!  I defnitely believe in southern hospitality us New Jersians are not that nice lol.  OHHH and I absolutely LOVE Sweet tea!! I make my own haha.

Navywifetk
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I could not have said this better. 

Quoting peytonsmommy728:

Us southern girls do it best!!! I am over here in the boot!! Sweet tea, fried chicken, cornbread!! Hot dog!!

mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM

lol, it's not ALL like that, live in a city and hire a bug sprayer, you'd do fine. However, when anyone asks you to go mudriding, fishing, or hunting of any sort, just say no.  ;p

Sorry, but if you lived in the south there is no getting away from the heat, lol. In the summer you walk out on your front porch and immediately feel like you need to take another shower. However, I would rather that than endure those freezing northern winters! I couldn't cut it as a northerner just because of that lol.

Try watching Steel Magnolias, not all southern belles have patience!  :)   Some of us are more hard headed than anyone! It's just that we're hard headed in style. That's my story and stickin to it.

Quoting LML1:

Although I am intrigued by other cultures. I couldn't cut it being a southern bell... I have no patients, hate bugs with a passion, not a fan of the heat either and couldn't handle the wild animals out there; alligators, pythons etc...

LMommy11
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Extreme N Alabama! Flip flops, t-shirts, blue jeans, creek/river side, lightening bugs, willow flies and a little heat lightening thrown in there. Nothing like a southern girl. Oh and home cooked meals. (Nothing like granny's cookin' ) :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peytonsmommy728
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Love steel magnolias. "An armadillo your joking right!" lol

Quoting mommy2b39465:

lol, it's not ALL like that, live in a city and hire a bug sprayer, you'd do fine. However, when anyone asks you to go mudriding, fishing, or hunting of any sort, just say no.  ;p

Sorry, but if you lived in the south there is no getting away from the heat, lol. In the summer you walk out on your front porch and immediately feel like you need to take another shower. However, I would rather that than endure those freezing northern winters! I couldn't cut it as a northerner just because of that lol.

Try watching Steel Magnolias, not all southern belles have patience!  :)   Some of us are more hard headed than anyone! It's just that we're hard headed in style. That's my story and stickin to it.

Quoting LML1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMommy11
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I love your explanation!

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Quoting LML1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMommy11
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Oh and our traffic jams (at least here anyway) are tractors from our big farmers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN