Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I Live in the Deep South, ask me anything.....

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in the world of southern belles and doing things our own way. Where, before school half the middle school migrates across Main Street to go to Wards, and policemen know this and sit watching to make sure traffic knows that too. 

When I had twins, I was told that scheduling was the way to go. Spanking isn't out of the norm here, and if your kids get out of hand at Walmart, you might just have an old lady come up and tell you off for not disciplining your children. 

Up until recently, it was very normal to see people riding in the back of trucks (and now it's more of how long the distance is and the gamble for whether you'll run into a policeman on the way). 

We talk slowly. Get over it. We take a long time to make decisions at a restaurant. Get over it.

We even still have an old time style barber shop that only services men. :-o

You are just not normal, an object for speculation, if you aren't 'a Christian'. If you don't want to be pegged with a big bulls-eye on your back saying 'Convert Me!', you better be at least affiliated with some church in your area. Your parent's church 2 hours away doesn't count, it needs to be local. 

Anyone else who lives in the Deep South, feel free to chime in!

Gonna be in and out for church and Father's Day, so don't bash me if I don't respond immediately. I'll do it eventually, promise!  :)

*edit* just for info, I've deleted what I originally said, and am replacing it with more of how I, living in MS where there has been major racial conflicts in our past, see the racial side to life here: ok. I think it's generally accepted that northerners and southerners have different cultures, right? Different speed, different accents, different ways of living life in general. We don't hate each other, or at least I don't hope so. Well, that's kinda how it is present day with whites/blacks here. What, 50, 60 years ago, 2 VERY different, clashing cultures that hated each other were forced together and told to get along. Now, the hate is for the most part gone. We've learned to get along. We are integrated as far as schools, churches, etc. are concerned. However, the cultures that made each group unique is still there. Now, we're in the stage of integrating those two cultures, making them into one culture together. But, just like if you threw a bunch of northerners and southerners together, it would take time to make it so you couldn't tell who was who just by listening to them talk, or a handful of other little tells. I would hope this observation wouldn't make me racist, however maybe it's just that I can't see it myself. 

*edit 2* Ok, thank you one poster for reminding me of this! Northerners, I honestly don't understand how you LIVE without sweet tea! Down here, restaurants have Tea, and Unsweetened Tea. When we visit north, you have Tea, and sugar packets. 

*edit 3* Ahhh! Sorry I forgot to put in football! Is that considered a capital crime? Gulp.......

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
KenzieQsMommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I accidentally liked this but after reading the edit I'm glad I have never been to the deep south. Not a place for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixsMommy10
by Jojo on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Me too.

Quoting Kaleigh92805:

I from SC

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amber5151
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm from a tiny town of 600 in Texas :) where I'm strange for breastfeeding, if you don't spank your kids you are going to be over run with heathens, if you successfully leave it's an anomaly, the town shuts down after 8pm, our town has literally nothing but 3 different churches, kids actually play outside, it's nothing to be late somewhere because you were stuck behind a tractor, everyone waves at you, at the (ONE) gas station the parking lot almost always has a 4 Wheeler, lawn mower, utv or golf cart parked in it and the old men always meet at the cafe at 5 am to drink coffee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixsMommy10
by Jojo on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM
I live in the South, but have never experienced anything like her edit....Maybe I'm not south enough?

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I accidentally liked this but after reading the edit I'm glad I have never been to the deep south. Not a place for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Oh! That's the area I am from. I liked living in tn better tho.. Ms is one of the poorest states in the country and it shows... with crooked cops and horrible service by ppl (especially hospitals and doctors). Memphis ain't no better but the state of tn handles things better. Not to mention racism is the worst in the south also... coming from a racist home I have learned to change my ways of thinking.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Awesome! I used to live in Jackson (MS, not TN), and have friends and family up towards Southaven.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

I am from North Mississippi lived their for 21yrs,then lived in Memphis,tn for 3yrsthe and now living in Houston,tx... never been out of the south. My family is full of rednecks. I grew up in a baptist church but now nondemonational. My husband is from a small farm town in

tx. See where I come from the roads and highways are clear in the Sunday early mornings and the churchs are packed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

lol depends. This morning we 'have' to go to the in laws church, and while they try to make it fun by doing skits, it's really just another boring 'who-de-who' church. At least it's not like my grandparent's church, a church ran and attended by people over 70. By the end of their services, I'm just about ready to put a pistol to the head, j/k.

There are more fun churches, but the main stream people kinda look down upon them, lol. I went to one up in Jackson, and often we were considered almost cultish, just because we raised our hands and were more open in worship (however we weren't one of the pentacostal pew running churches, even we thought that was weird, lol). 

Reading back over this, I'm having to laugh at myself! Down here everyone thinks everyone else's church is weird. 

Quoting PortiaRose:

Are your churches more fun?

powow65
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM
are you close to gerogia (spelling) if so, how is it in that state? (or are your a texan?)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_of_one_2010
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM
South Louisiana here :-) lived in gulfport. Would love to go back so relaxing and people are very friendly all around
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I had a lot of trouble with that. I spent most of my childhood in georgia, it was expected you say yes mam yes sir, you didnt even thing of not saying it. It was total disrespect not to and i had seen plenty of kids sent off to the principals office for refusing to do so. I just couldnt understand why when i moved to mn that people would get so upset with me for saying it. It has taken me years to train myself to stop addressing people that way and i still find myself slip occ. its still wierd to me how a term is expected of you and respectful in one place abd the ultimate offence in another. I miss the south, in general kids seemed to be so much more respectful there

Quoting mommy2b39465:

lol I've heard of horror stories of southern kids moving north and being suspended for calling their teacher 'Mam'. 

Oooh, you're a smart lady staying in the closet! I'm a Christian, but go to a nondenominational, so I just have a little target on my forehead, but you have a huge glaring target, lol! 

In our area, and don't think I'm racist because I'm not, just generalizing: only black people and old people that go to the REALLY traditional churches are Democrats. So you could add a second bulls-eye on your forehead too!   :)

I think the coolest thing is to be able to do the things like hunting and fishing, camp fires and such. Any 'good' parents around here make the kids put up the video games here and there and throw them out into 'the wild', what outsiders apparently consider the front yard, lol. 

Quoting .Pagan.:

i am. in fact my family has been in the south since 1607 (before then if you count the native americans). i hunt, fish, sit around camp fires, use manners, make sure that my son learns his as well, and just like my grandmother and mother before me makeup and hair being done is a must before leaving the house...even if it is just to the corner store. i do not however spank or go to church..i am pagan....and yes I'm in the closet because of the awesome harassment...i mean urm...saving..that people love to do in this neck of the woods. I'm also a democrat..another *gasp* for the area lol. none the less i love the south and i wouldn't want to live anywhere else for longer than the three year stretches the military has us do now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Been to baton rouge couple of times. Used to visit family friends in gulfport every year when I was little.

Quoting mom_of_one_2010:

South Louisiana here :-) lived in gulfport. Would love to go back so relaxing and people are very friendly all around
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)