Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Because I have tattoos, I may end up losing my job! *Updated with new info *

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM
  • 95 Replies

I was informed tonight that we have a store meeting this Sunday. Okay. No biggie.

I was also told that our owner has enforced ALOT of new policies * ones that we don't even know about yet!!!!!! * and we will have to sign our names to a piece of paper saying that we agree with the policy, or we loose our job, right then and there.

One of the new policies is that all tattoos MUST be covered up. All mine STAY covered up, except for the one on my leg, and it only shows when I wear my capris, which is MAYBE once a week, maybe twice if I'm running low on clean jeans. I over heard the manager telling a customer that we may have a lot of new people in the next few weeks, cause if the new policies didn't go over, that the owner and her were going to fire alot of us, and she said that they would start with the ones who have tattoos!!!!!!

What the holy fuckin hell?!

I called her out on it, and she said that her and the owner agreed that they will no longer hire anyone who has tattoos, because they believe that it is disgusting and ugly. I texted several of my co-workers who have tattoos, and told them about this. They are LIVID!!!!!! The manager pretty much told me to my face that just because we have tattoos, we would be the first to go if they did fire anyone. There are at least 8 of us who have tattoos! Thats almost both stores worth of employees!

I told her that in my eyes, thats discrimination, that they can't do that just because we have tattoos. Her response?

Sit and watch what we do.

I still say its discrimination. What you ladies think?

Btw, the labor board has already been called on these people several times, and each time they are investigated. I think that is why he is making us sign all these papers about new policies.

Okay to answer a lot of you guys questions, yes they are firing based ONLY on if you have tats. It doesn't matter if you have visible tats or not. If you have a tat, your gone. When I got my tats, I made sure they were easily covered. Even when I got my leg tat. I even told the owner about where I was getting it, and asked if I could wear my capris once a week, and he said okay, that it would be fine. I do work with the public ( I'm work at a gas station ).
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gealach
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 "visible" tattoos and was required to cover them for every job I have ever had.

Its a very common policy.

With all the stuff you have posted about where you work, why haven't you found another job?

1stpreggers
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Kinda sucks but not discrimination. Sounds they want employees to look more professional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM
2 moms liked this

It's up to them to set the policy on how employees should be dressed. And if an employee doesn't want to abide by those rules, then they get let go. That's how it is in most work places. Honestly the tattoo thing isn't that uncommon either, I can totally see where they are coming from. 

Avetay
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM
A lot of places state that tats must be covered. If she can't see them then there shouldn't be a reason to fire you. Personally if your tvat uncomfortable with your job try finding another one. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maryjmom
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:58 AM

It ain't for lack of looking, G.

I've put my app in EVERYWHERE possible. Even factories, and I hate factories. There is nothing in this shit hole of a town that is hiring. I've even went 20 minutes out of town to the next county over, and hit a couple places there.

Nothing.

Quoting Gealach:

I have 2 "visible" tattoos and was required to cover them for every job I have ever had.

Its a very common policy.

With all the stuff you have posted about where you work, why haven't you found another job?

Fields456
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Don't where capris and it won't be an issue. You chose to get a tattoo their Most businesses have an image to up hold and tattooes don't first most of them. This is why I have been very careful in my tattoo placements, Right now I have one I can hide and I want more. I want one onmy wrist but I know I can't have it for my job. I know it feels like you are being descriminated against. But you chose to have your tattoos where you put them
MomRocs1102
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 6:50 AM

That's sad, I hope you don't lose your job just cover the leg tattoo with make up when you wear Capri's

sahm_of_rj
by Marisa on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
But what OP is saying is that even if they cover them, the manager knows about them and will single people out for firing based on if they have tattoos, covered or not. Did I read that right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenly1462
by Jessica on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM
3 moms liked this
Will they still fire you if its covered up? If so, then I believe that's discrimination. If not, then, my suggestion would be to get that makeup that covers tattoos. They sound like assholes. What are they going to do to new employees, do a body check to ensure they don't have tattoos? LOL That's ridiculous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Your job allows jeans, but not tatts?

They should put a clause in the changes to excuse existing employees... But NO new visible tatts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)