Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

What Are YOU doing for dinner?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 31 Replies

I have to plan ahead early on in the day to make my dinner plans, and so, tonight, I've decided I'm gonna grill out.

I have to be wary about what I cook, because my Grannie is on Dialysis and her diet is limited, so, tonight is a grill night.

Honey Chicken Kebabs

•   1/4 cup vegetable oil

• 1/3 cup honey

• 1/3 cup soy sauce

• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

• 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes

• 2 cloves garlic

• 5 small onions, cut into 2 inch pieces

• 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces

• skewers

1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, soy sauce, and pepper. Before adding chicken, reserve a small amount of marinade to brush onto kabobs while cooking. Place the chicken, garlic, onions and peppers in the bowl, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours (the longer the better).

2. Preheat the grill for high heat.

3. Drain marinade from the chicken and vegetables, and discard marinade. Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.

4. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade 

Steak Kebabs:

•   1-1/3 cups lemon juice

• 1/2 cup vegetable oil

• 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

• 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon paprika

• 4 garlic clove, minced

• 2 teaspoons sugar

• 2 teaspoons salt

• 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

• 3 pounds beef sirloin steak, cut into 1 inch cubes

• 32 large fresh whole mushrooms

• 4 medium onion, cut into chunks

• 4 medium green pepper, cut into chunk

1. In a bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; mix well. Pour 1/4 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; cover and refrigerate remaining marinade. Add beef to the bag. Seal and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.

2. Drain and discard marinade. On metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef and vegetables. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until beef reaches desired doneness, basting frequently with reserved marinade and turning once.

Baked Beans!

• 1 cup MUSSELMAN'S® Apple Butter

• 1/3 cup honey

• 1/2 cup ketchup

• 1/2 cup water

• 2 tablespoons minced dried onion

• 1 teaspoon ground cumin

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste

• 1 (15.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, drained

• 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed

• 1 (15 ounce) can red or pinto beans, drained

Directions

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix all ingredients except beans in large bowl.

2. Stir in beans. Pour into 2-quart baking dish or casserole.

3. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Asparagus!

• 1 pound asparagus

• 3 tablespoons olive oil

• cloves garlic, finely minced

• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

• 1/4 teaspoon paprika

• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Trim asparagus. In a small bowl, combine oil, garlic, zest and paprika and stir with a fork. Lay asparagus side by side and pierce on 2 wooden skewers to form a raft. Place rafts on the grill and brush with oil mixture. Cook to desired tenderness and season with salt and pepper

and Grilled PEaches!

• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar

• 1-1/2 cups balsamic vinegar

• 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns

• 4 large fresh peaches with peel, halved and pitted

• 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled

Directions

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the white sugar, balsamic vinegar, and pepper. Simmer until liquid has reduced by one half. It should become slightly thicker. Remove from heat, and set aside.

2. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.

3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place peaches on the prepared grill, cut side down. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the flesh is caramelized. Turn peaches over. Brush the top sides with the balsamic glaze, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.

4. Transfer the peach halves to individual serving dishes, and drizzle with remaining glaze. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese.

So, what do you ladies think?!

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Sounds good!

I don't have time to make dinner, so we are having takeout pizza.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaslilmen
by Kimmy on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

im going to a river concert tonight wtih my fiance and a friend at our local college, we are going to eat from a vendor there

aidenmomplus4
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds delicious and we had the same idea, we are grilling outside, making some hot dogs and burger for the kids, and some nice steaks for ourselves.  We are having a nice relaxing evening since tomorrow we leave on vacation.

clasater
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Psh I just rolled outta bed, I'm not thinking about dinner! Lol we are getting the keys to our new house today so I'm thinking we will probably be ordering a pizza since we are going to be stripping wall paper and paint and all that kinda fun project stuff all day! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Tonight is order pizza and watch a movie or baseball game night. I love spending Friday's at home with my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daulton_dustin
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Oh man that sounds good!!! Since I didn't make salisbury steak n potoatos n fruit last night, I think I will tonight!!
ashleigh24
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Sounds yummy but too much work on a friday! Lol pizza night or maybe subway tonight. Actually my nephew has a ball game tonight so probably whatever they have at concession stand. My dd is at her dad's this week so just me and my hubby until sunday. Well I have my daycare kids during the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2lexinmark
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM
We had pizza at the pool last night....so not that but most likely take out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
A fresh spinach salad with grilled shrimp.
I have strawberries and almonds and goats cheese for the salad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gofast_mama
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Friday is date night so we check out the local food trucks and will probably hit up the free concert in the park, with a few of those Dailys Cocktails those things are amazing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)