Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to teach my kids how to swim but...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 7 Replies

THEY ARE TERRIFIED!!!! 

Don't get me wrong they absolutely LOVE playing in the pool/water, but when I try to actually teach them to swim they scream bloody murder.  When my son (5) was just 3 years old fell into the deep end of my dad and his wife's pool (I was NOT there) and it was my sisters birthday party so there were a lot of people there and it shouldn't have happened.  THANKFULLY!!!!!!!!!!! my sister and some of her friends were in the shallow end and this is how she told me it happened--- There were a lot of pool toys in the pool and she just happened to look in the deep end and a pool toy moved and she saw my son bobbing his head trying to stay up (I am getting upset telling this because I can only imagine how he was feeling and that he was actually able to keep him self up kind of... what if he just sank...) so she rushed over to him and she said he threw up a bunch of water, which I believe he was exhaling the water makes sense? Anyway she said he cried for awhile, but then was fine and actually got his bathing suit on and went back in.

Since then he will not let me hold him in any body of water. My younger son who is 3 does the same thing and I think it is just because he sees how his brother reacts and thinks it is scary.  He will glady go into the the same pool shallow end by himself, but as soon as someone tries to hold him he gets scared.  He will even go into the deep end on a raft!  A lot of people say just throw him in he will learn how to swim, but I think that is cruel and especially what he has been through I would NEVER do that.  And yes he does remember falling into the pool.  I have thought about swim lessons, but they can be expensive and I don't want to waste the money if he isn't going to let me hold him and help him. I bought him the little arm floaties and just yesterday was trying to get him to learn how to swim, but he just clings to me and won't let me go.  I tried to explain to him that I LOVE him and would never do anything to hurt him....

I think it is very important to know how to swim... and I don't remember NOT knowing how to swim.   Any advice???

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
thatsme24
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM
My son will be 7 and I want to teach him to swim, but I can't swim myself. He says he doesn't want to learn because he's scared and it's hard to change his mind
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM
We bought my ds a swim vest when he was 2. It holds him up but he has to do the swimming motions to go anywhere. He could swim without it the end if last summer (he was 3). This summer he wanted to wear it bc he didn't think he could swim. But he no longer needs it. He jumps off the diving board, goes down the slide and swims everywhere like a liitle fish. He's 4.5yo now.
My dd is terrified of all things that make you float (rings, swimmies, swim vest, rafts, life jackets). But she will let a big person have help her in the pool. So we've been holding her belly. And having her kick and move her arms like she's swimming. She's doing really good and could be swimming by thee end of the summer. She's 2.5yo.

That's how my family has taught 60+ kids (me, my siblings,, cousins, cousin's kids) how to swim.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Put him in swim lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaeleesmommy
by Brittany on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM
My daughter turned 2 last month and can dog paddle. I still don't let go of her. Maybe try putting them in swim lessons. The Y usually offers them. Maybe if your not around for them to feed off your fear and they see other kids doing iit they'll be more open to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I had the same issues with my son. He didn't want to listen or do anything I asked him to do in the pool. I put him in swim class once a week in January and he able to float, dive into the pool and come up and float, swim short distances free style. I am so glad I put him in the classes. I have swam my entire life and it's a huge part of my life. Maybe try putting them in classes if you can afford it. They will listen to someone else and not the parent for some reason in the water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
llheet8586
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quoting kaeleesmommy:

My daughter turned 2 last month and can dog paddle. I still don't let go of her. Maybe try putting them in swim lessons. The Y usually offers them. Maybe if your not around for them to feed off your fear and they see other kids doing iit they'll be more open to it.

I don't show any fear at all I never have.  My youngest son is defintely feeding of the fear of my older son.  I do think if he sees other kids swimming it'll help because he really has never (not that he remembers) seen other little kids swim.

llheet8586
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Quoting Jennyanne322:

I had the same issues with my son. He didn't want to listen or do anything I asked him to do in the pool. I put him in swim class once a week in January and he able to float, dive into the pool and come up and float, swim short distances free style. I am so glad I put him in the classes. I have swam my entire life and it's a huge part of my life. Maybe try putting them in classes if you can afford it. They will listen to someone else and not the parent for some reason in the water.

Yeah I really want him to learn how to swim... There are lakes close by that offer lessons, but they have already started and the local Y is not that local for us. I guess I will have to do some more research!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)