Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bribe.

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

I was wondering how everyone feels about bribing their child. Do you give them candy, toy, special outing, extra tv time?

I bribe my 3yo all the time. Every time we go to the grocery I get him a toy car for being such a good helper. If he cleans his room (helps me clean it) then he gets extra tv time or a movie or sometimes something to put in his piggy bank. If he eats all of his dinner (ok most) then he gets a piece of candy or cookie or something like that.

Do you bribe (or as we call it, reward) your child to do what you want?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LML1
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Guilty. We're potty training and I'm using M&M's. And I told my dd when she uses the potty for a week straight I'd buy her a goldfish.

EmmaGlenn20
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I think it's a great thing to do as long as it's in moderation, of course. In real life (when they grow up), they will get rewards for doing things well and following through, so why not teach that to them while they're young? :) Plus it makes things a bit easier on you :P 

torttia
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

We did the same thing. It worked lol.

Quoting LML1:

Guilty. We're potty training and I'm using M&M's. And I told my dd when she uses the potty for a week straight I'd buy her a goldfish.

torttia
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:23 PM

That is what I am saying. I hate when people say they don't give their children allowances or rewards for good grades because they should be doing that already....We get paid, bonuses and promotions for doing well at work. I think my boys deserve credit for doing their job.

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I think it's a great thing to do as long as it's in moderation, of course. In real life (when they grow up), they will get rewards for doing things well and following through, so why not teach that to them while they're young? :) Plus it makes things a bit easier on you :P 

LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I do it from time to time!

EmmaGlenn20
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Exactly!! It's positive reinforcement, it shows them that GOOD actions have GOOD consequences. It sounds funny but it's how you train a cat not to scratch furniture..you give it a treat when it scratches the scratching post :P And they learn.

Quoting torttia:

That is what I am saying. I hate when people say they don't give their children allowances or rewards for good grades because they should be doing that already....We get paid, bonuses and promotions for doing well at work. I think my boys deserve credit for doing their job.

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

torttia
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:41 PM

and spray it when it gets the furniture like you would "punish" your child with time out or not getting a reward.

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

Exactly!! It's positive reinforcement, it shows them that GOOD actions have GOOD consequences. It sounds funny but it's how you train a cat not to scratch furniture..you give it a treat when it scratches the scratching post :P And they learn.

Quoting torttia:

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

mangie22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM
I am guilty I am potty training my dd and she gets an m&m as a reward! If she goes for a whole week she gets a toy or treat she wants!
ayla91
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM

totally guilty. i see no shame in "rewarding" good behavior :) however, i dont say "if you stop doing that i'll give you ______." that i dont agree with.

mrscass0416
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I call it positive reinforcement and yes I do :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)