Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I put my dd on the toilet and she fell in!!!! Now she won't go near it!!!! :(

Posted by   + Show Post
Okay, so not really. But I do have a potty training related question. How early is too early to potty train. Dd is 15 months old on Wednesday, I don't want to start now obviously, but I was thinking of starting after 18 months. It's early, but both df and I have cursed her with horribly sensitive skin so her and diapers can be a nightmare. Especially during this hot as hell summer we've been having. The rashes can be brutal. Anyway, hindsight says cloth would have been the way to go, but too late now (lack of funds for start up and having to pay for laundry).

So how do you even start? I don't want to force her or push her to do it, I just want to get the ball rolling in a few months is all. Figured I'd start researching now how so I can know a bit more when I think she's ready to start. But again, how will I know when that is? Any help or hint or input is welcome! Help a first timer out lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Replies (11-18):
i.m.r.
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM
That's a good idea! I'll do that in a few months and get her interested maybe. I know she hates her diapers and she's starting to try and take them off so it will be an interesting journey that's for sure lol. Hopefully I can get my mom on board as well (she watches dd while df and I are at work). I think it's going to be a long haul though with three caregivers.

Quoting OBImomma:

Get her a little potty and keep it in the bathroom. Then when you go she could try uf she wanted, or just sit on the potty. That's the only way I know to introduce a child.

Quoting i.m.r.:

She's definitely the type to just decide to do something one day. He did it with all of her milestones. I just don't know where to start to even get her interested. She doesn't care if she's wet or poos really. But she hates diaper changes. She throws a fit and it's exhausting. I don't want to push her. Just maybe introduce her to mommy and daddy use the potty then go from there? I agree that pushing them just gets their little walls up and then it's even harder. She's a very curious child so I thought maybe just introducing it would spark some curiosity in the next few months.

Quoting OBImomma:

I'd wait until.she is ready.

My ds we tried potty training at 2yo and he was not ready. It was not a good experience at all. Looking back I should have waited, it probably, would have been a lot easier.

My dd potty trained herself at 2.5yo. I packes up all the Easter candy and put it on top of the fridge. She was mad and told me "my go pee my potty momma! My get my candy!" And she did. She maybe had 5 accidents and quit asking fir candy after a week.

Things were so much easier on everyone with dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_2_be_2010
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:48 AM
I keep two potties one in the living room and one upstairs in the bathroom so she has easy access but she just started going in the big potty a few mos ago and the last few days i've put her in reg panties and she's been doing very well

Quoting OBImomma:

Get her a little potty and keep it in the bathroom. Then when you go she could try uf she wanted, or just sit on the potty. That's the only way I know to introduce a child.

Quoting i.m.r.:

She's definitely the type to just decide to do something one day. He did it with all of her milestones. I just don't know where to start to even get her interested. She doesn't care if she's wet or poos really. But she hates diaper changes. She throws a fit and it's exhausting. I don't want to push her. Just maybe introduce her to mommy and daddy use the potty then go from there? I agree that pushing them just gets their little walls up and then it's even harder. She's a very curious child so I thought maybe just introducing it would spark some curiosity in the next few months.

Quoting OBImomma:

I'd wait until.she is ready.

My ds we tried potty training at 2yo and he was not ready. It was not a good experience at all. Looking back I should have waited, it probably, would have been a lot easier.

My dd potty trained herself at 2.5yo. I packes up all the Easter candy and put it on top of the fridge. She was mad and told me "my go pee my potty momma! My get my candy!" And she did. She maybe had 5 accidents and quit asking fir candy after a week.

Things were so much easier on everyone with dd.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Maybe get her a little potty chair and have her sit on it at every diaper change

BKWx2
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

My son is 20 months and I bought him a little potty about 2 months ago because he "has to be" in the bathroom when anyone goes, hands you toilet paper and wants to flush the toilet. I thought oh great, we can get this process started early. Well, he'll sit on it... and then get up and take off, messing on the floor. Even though the interest is there, he just isn't ready I guess.

Momy2beAUG.2009
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM
My daughter was.compketely pitty trained by the.time she was 2. I dont remember when we started but it was early anf she pooped on the potty long before she peed. We.just.bought the insert for the big potty.and never did tge child potty. Also we started along but after a week she started saying no when we asked if she had to go. So we had to start just leading her in to go potty without saying anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyfullem
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Take her with you when you go potty and have her sit on a toddler potty just to get her used to it.  Do not expect her to use it yet though.  If she does by chance use the potty MAKE IT A BIG DEAL!!! Tell her how proud you are and that she is so wonderful and what a big girl! Make her feel on top of the world about it! That is really young so I am not sure what else to do but to 'get the ball rolling' that is what I would do

i.m.r.
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm more looking for ideas for when I want to start. Probably around 18 months. She's really not ready right now, but in three or four months she may be. So Im definitely going to try this :)

Quoting joyfullem:

Take her with you when you go potty and have her sit on a toddler potty just to get her used to it.  Do not expect her to use it yet though.  If she does by chance use the potty MAKE IT A BIG DEAL!!! Tell her how proud you are and that she is so wonderful and what a big girl! Make her feel on top of the world about it! That is really young so I am not sure what else to do but to 'get the ball rolling' that is what I would do

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyfullem
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

To tell you the truth you can start doing this whenever because you are not expecting anything its not a big deal.  If she doesnt want to do it one day she doesnt have to. Good Luck! I finally just potty trained my 3 yo boy because he was stubbron like nothing else

Quoting i.m.r.:

I'm more looking for ideas for when I want to start. Probably around 18 months. She's really not ready right now, but in three or four months she may be. So Im definitely going to try this :)

Quoting joyfullem:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)