Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My son is throwing tantrums and It's driving me crazy

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM
  • 15 Replies

My son is 20 months and I feel like it's terrible two's already. He is my first child so this is new to me.

He is throwing TERRIBLE fits. He's throwing things, screaming bloody murder, hitting me, etc. It's ridiculous. I try to ignore it most of the time but it's so hard. I'm starting to lose my patience, and it worries me. I almost feel like his grandparents baby him too much and this is why he's like this. He stays with them all day since they baby sit him. And when I'm home from work, it's so hard to keep up with him. He's constantly getting into things and wanting his way.

Is this normal or excessive? What are some things that I can do to help with my situation? 

Thanks. :) 

I need friends so add me please! 

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alreadydidthis
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Its hard when the grandparents dont help. Id tell the grandparents he needs timeouts or thumps what ever duscipline you choose. But at home you got to stay firm. Gl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ruthzaad
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM
My kids hardly throw fits but if they do I have methods to make them stop or get them laughing. If they throw themselves on the floor I do the same but act silly and that gets them laughing. If they run up to me screaming and crying, I pick them up with their feet in the air and say "oh my goodness, life is so horrible". If they hit I say "be nice" in a stern voice, if they persist they get a time out after a lecture. Lol the lecture usually takes the fight out of them. Ihope it turns out well for you, buy in my opinion, age 3 is the worst.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xray1210
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I try to tell them to please lay off the spoiling but they don't seem to understand! All it's doing is making it harder on him when I'm home. And I feel like he's not going to love me or want to be around me b/c I'm the mean mom. Ya know?

Quoting alreadydidthis:

Its hard when the grandparents dont help. Id tell the grandparents he needs timeouts or thumps what ever duscipline you choose. But at home you got to stay firm. Gl

Xray1210
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Hahaha. Sometimes when my son is throwing dumb fits, my sister throws a fit with him. It does get him to stop :)

Oh boy. What happens at age 3?

Quoting Ruthzaad:

My kids hardly throw fits but if they do I have methods to make them stop or get them laughing. If they throw themselves on the floor I do the same but act silly and that gets them laughing. If they run up to me screaming and crying, I pick them up with their feet in the air and say "oh my goodness, life is so horrible". If they hit I say "be nice" in a stern voice, if they persist they get a time out after a lecture. Lol the lecture usually takes the fight out of them. Ihope it turns out well for you, buy in my opinion, age 3 is the worst.

LiesLiesLies
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Ignore ignore ignore!

And timeout!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Johnson0911
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:31 AM

my dd is really sensitive i found this out young when she was bad or threw a fit i would let her go then talk to her in a soothing quiet voice while crouching down at her level. she was cry from guilt everytime. she still does when she does something bad. i have NEVER let her hit anyone, playing or otherwise(which is hard to do when i have 4 brothers and they wanna play fight with her) but the main thing that i would do if DD was throwing a tantrum is walk away. if she was in her bed room i would close the door. if you do not respond to it then they give up eventually. GOOD LUCK!

jamsk8mommy1
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:48 AM
My son is only a year, but I've started to put him down when he starts to throw a tantrum. I will not react to his tantrums. I will just sit him down on the floor and walk away until he calms down. I will not yell or try to talk to him when he is throwing his fit. I will calmly talk to him when he is calm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Just ignore him. Timeouts don't work this young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
areyouatroll
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM
Yup. And redirect. My son is 17 months starting this, usually when he is bored or hungry.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Just ignore him. Timeouts don't work this young.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xray1210
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Yeah. That's what I'm doing now. Is trying to ignore him. Sometimes I put him in the playpin and let him throw his fits. I do it in fear of him hurting himself on our tile floors. Is that wrong?

Quoting jamsk8mommy1:

My son is only a year, but I've started to put him down when he starts to throw a tantrum. I will not react to his tantrums. I will just sit him down on the floor and walk away until he calms down. I will not yell or try to talk to him when he is throwing his fit. I will calmly talk to him when he is calm.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)